Which pedal is the problem?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by David Meiland, Jul 15, 2021.

1. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wondering if someone knows the answer to this before I take everything apart for trial-and-error investigation.

Signal chain is Boss tuner-->MXR compressor-->Empress para eq-->Strymon Mobius-->Keeley Caverns reverb/delay-->JHS Morning glory drive-->TC Electronics looper-->A/B switch-->amps.

The Keeley is new to me. When I switch it on, it makes a hideous noise. If I switch on the Mobius, the noise stops.

My assumption is that the Mobius does something in bypass mode that bothers the Keeley. The Mobius and other Strymon pedals have previously played nice with other reverb/delay pedals.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to say the chorus pedal, no matter what the problem was, but that won’t work since you didn’t list a dedicated chorus pedal…I know the Mobius has chorus, but it does other things.

I hate chorus.

Old Plank and papa32203 like this.
  3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Try the buffered bypass option on the mobius?

4. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a power problem to me.

northernguitar and mojek like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

What isolated power supply are you using? If none, that's where I'd start. What cables are you using? If they are homemade or $3 that's the next place I'd look. Try revising the order of your pedals. This can be personal preference. Some pedals need a buffer and some pedals hate a buffer. But I would try the drive earlier in your chain, at least before the reverb, that's subjective, not a law. The Keeley Caverns does not have a level/volume control, just a blend control. But it is possible something upstream is too hot, the drive before the verb might help that. There is no rule with pedal order, just working with what you have and finding what sounds best.
    Isolate and experiment with order. Good luck.

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Any power daisy-chaining going on?

7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Put your drive before your modulation and time-based, this is very common knowledge, and unless you want some really chaotic sounding results, this is the way.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I was thinking the same thing.....

9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Not really a problem, but… I’d love to have an Empress Paraeq in my effect loop

10. David Meiland

Thanks for the input on this. The power to all pedals is from an MXR Iso-Brick. I rearranged things to Mobius-->Morning Glory-->Caverns and that solved the noise, but based on comments above it sounds like it should be Morning Glory-->Mobius-->Caverns, and that would presumably make the problem re-occur. Maybe try a different reverb/delay? I'm trying this one because it's one less pedal than having separate reverb and delay, but maybe that isn't going to work out.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  11. David Meiland

It's a nice pedal...

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Just curious if you tried switching the bypass on the mobius since you mentioned you were wondering about the bypass maybe being a problem in your op.
    [​IMG]

David Meiland likes this.
  13. David Meiland

OK, changed that setting (to buffered) and it made a major difference. Thanks for pointing it out. I have yet to dig into the pedal much, so far just have some presets I like.

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I’m no expert but what I’ve read and experienced is that sometimes a digital pedal can bleed clock noise to analog pedals downstream which don’t have the necessary filtering to eliminate it. Sometimes changing up the power supply can help as can changing the pedal order.

David Meiland and northernguitar like this.
  15. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’d try using a separate power supply for your digital pedals.

Bella likes this.
  16. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

Common knowledge? Common knowledge that it is the generic recommendation but not an actual rule. Modulation before drive can be very sweet and is more common than the internet thinks it is. Ever tremolo your signal into a drive? Or consider what a wah pedal is and that they come early in the chain? Or that forever folks have blasted all sorts of pedals into a driving amp?

YouTube is full of videos comparing pedal order and they all usually end with, "Drive before modulation is the usual advice but it isn't really a rule."

codamedia, 19sixty3 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  17. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Mainly referring to time-based effects like delay and reverb ( in this order btw). I agree with modulation before od can be great, my phaser is always before od, but not chorus.

Old Plank likes this.
  18. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

OK, but you did specifically state modulation as well.

19. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Try moving the Morning Glory Drive to just after the compressor and then try the chain without the A/B switcher in it.

19sixty3 likes this.
  20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Although there are no rules, there's another reason for putting drive, boost, and compression first in your chain. If you place your gain pedals later in the the chain, you're going to boost the hiss and hum from everything that you've put in front of them. It's basic signal flow.

David Meiland likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.