Which other modulation or effect is most common in rock music?

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
Hi, I'm looking at possibly adding another effect to my board.
I have chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb, and was wondering which other effect might go well on a straight ahead rock pedalboard.
The ones I'm thinking of are phaser, vibrato, or maybe a vibe or rotary type of effect.
Home player, still active musician in my church, but gigging days are long passed, so it will be a cheap Amazon type pedal because I don't need anything fancy. It won't get used a ton, just to add a bit of "extra" flavor when I'm jamming around the house.
Not looking for brand or specific pedals, just in general, what other modulation effect is most used.
Thanks
Yeah the ones you listed, vibrato/tremelo, phaser, and rotary (rotating speaker effect), would be the major ones next on the list of “mod” effects. Rock on!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Agree with the tremolo suggestions. I have had a trelicopter in the past which is a fine pedal. I've replaced it now with a Tidewater pedal which is also excellent.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Tremolo of course.
There's no life without tremolo.
Yes, there was a primordial ooze with the right amount of amino acids, there was the constant lightning of a newly formed atmosphere.… and tremolo was born!!,…. then all life, all of recorded history, blah, blah, blah,…🙄
but, tremolo was born!!😀

Last edited:

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
1664321805413.png

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
The trem on the Flint pedal is real nice and authentic sounding

I'm a minimal pedal guy, so the Flint gives me good tremolo and reverb in one pedal for my reverb-less amps

Trem and reverb were thee original effects back in the early days

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Didn't see anyone saying this so far, but you should get a wah wah if you don't have one. Wah changed my life back in the late '80s. It's the perfect icing on the cake now and then; use it for rhythm or lead, clean or dirty.

You're playing a great lead and you wish you had just a little more? Hit that wah and you'll take it to 11.

c4ntaro_sinf0nico

TDPRI Member
Put a Zoom MS-70CDR on your board and take your pick of any modulation type you care to name.

x2.
Best cheap multi-modulation pedal by a long mile, plus good delays and reverbs. You can even chain up to 6 chorus or phasers in a row!

...but if a really cheap and not-too-fancy pedal is a sine qua non condition, you can't go wrong with the Mooer E-Lady (Electric Mistress clone). You'll get nice flanger, chorus and fast rotary tones from it.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I love phaser, but have found myself preferring harmonic trem in place of phase when doing lead lines. It is cleaner, less boomy and has some overlap with vibe to my ears, though I have never had a vibe pedal. I still love phaser for rhythm stuff or added parts. All I do is play and record at home, so take my opinion for what it is worth. I know harmonic tremolo is super trendy presently, so I understand any rolled eyes, but it is super cool. Mine is a WA Monument V1 that is wider and easier to stomp and tap, IMO. It does cut bottom end, no doubt, which bugs me at times, but when I listen back to mixes I have finagled, I understand why it is voiced that way. It always sounds dope. It would be nice to have some control over that, though. I also love my HAZ Labratories Mutron III+’s notch setting for similar yet more subtle effects of the same ilk. Keep in mind as well that the Monument also offers standard tremolo. It’s got a little switch that lets you choose between trem types. Great pedal.

The Supro Tremolo is amoung the best I've tried. It covers both bias and harmonic tremolos with a switch. The harmonic Trem will just melt you away with its swampiness. Worth checking out YouTube vids for this one

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Tremolo is about the only one that doesn’t transport your sound directly to 1986, unless you are going for that sort of thing.