Which other modulation or effect is most common in rock music?

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
Hi, I'm looking at possibly adding another effect to my board.
I have chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb, and was wondering which other effect might go well on a straight ahead rock pedalboard.
The ones I'm thinking of are phaser, vibrato, or maybe a vibe or rotary type of effect.
Home player, still active musician in my church, but gigging days are long passed, so it will be a cheap Amazon type pedal because I don't need anything fancy. It won't get used a ton, just to add a bit of "extra" flavor when I'm jamming around the house.
Not looking for brand or specific pedals, just in general, what other modulation effect is most used.
Thanks

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I have chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb, and was wondering which other effect might go well on a straight ahead rock pedalboard.
The ones I'm thinking of are phaser, vibrato, or maybe a vibe or rotary type of effect.
Home player, still active musician in my church, but gigging days are long passed, so it will be a cheap Amazon type pedal because I don't need anything fancy. It won't get used a ton, just to add a bit of "extra" flavor when I'm jamming around the house.
Not looking for brand or specific pedals, just in general, what other modulation effect is most used.
Thanks
Yeah... some rotary speaker sim might be nice considering what you already have.
If you play a hardtail you might also want to consider a whammy pedal.
Set for moderate whammage it can simulate all kinds of wang bars quite nicely.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Become a swirly head:
rotobig.jpg

I am certified. I have the above plus:

lesfront220.jpg

sidewinder.jpg

Or possibly certifiable.

Bob

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I'd go vibe type. A buddy had a Fulltone Deja Vibe. We were jamming at a party and I started playing Machine Gun with a tiny little Lovepedal Pickle Vibe, and he was blown away by how much better it sounded than the real deal photocell type of vibe. Technically the Pickle is a 4 stage phaser circuit and I believe it works similarly to an MXR Phase 45. For about $125.00 used on Reverb they are awesome. Change the speed and you've got Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Takes up very little pedalboard space too.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Become a swirly head:
rotobig.jpg

I am certified. I have the above plus:

lesfront220.jpg

sidewinder.jpg

Or possibly certifiable.

Bob

Those Motion Sounds are killer! Keyboard buddy of mine as the older 2 x 12, 45 degree angled speaker one and it just crushes. He put high gain JJ 12AX7's in it and he can almost get that Jon Lord grind out of it. Close enough

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
go for a uni-vibe type with the two modes (phaser and vibrato). you can get classic phaser, leslie, and fluttery/shimmery stuff out of it.

a lot of the cheapo ones are digital and don't sound great. the MXR is analog and only marginally more expensive, and you don't really need a "better" one.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd go vibe type. A buddy had a Fulltone Deja Vibe. We were jamming at a party and I started playing Machine Gun with a tiny little Lovepedal Pickle Vibe, and he was blown away by how much better it sounded than the real deal photocell type of vibe. Technically the Pickle is a 4 stage phaser circuit and I believe it works similarly to an MXR Phase 45. For about $125.00 used on Reverb they are awesome. Change the speed and you've got Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Takes up very little pedalboard space too.

yeah, the photocell is not really crucial, a photocell doesn't make sound, it's just that photocells were/are the cheapest/most expedient way to control the phase. what you really want from the photocell version is the curve of the control voltage that changes the phase (an oscillator which is smoothed out asymmetrically by the photocell). you can simulate that response by other means (filtering/waveshaping the oscillator, digital oscillator, etc).

Last edited:

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
P1010009 (2).JPG
You will be considered a god if ya master this Strymon SkyLab Reverb! I'm learning, but WOW! The sounds that come out!!! One reason I had to buy recording equipment.
The Eurburo? heh, still just using presets.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
If you get a tremolo, the Trelicopter is a good cheap pedal (made under a bunch of different brand names on Amazon). Just be aware that you need a buffered pedal in your chain or it will tick. I'm dealing with this issue now. I really like the pedal but can't deal with the ticking, so it is shelved until I add a buffered pedal to my chain.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
Thanks
I love phaser, but have found myself preferring harmonic trem in place of phase when doing lead lines. It is cleaner, less boomy and has some overlap with vibe to my ears, though I have never had a vibe pedal. I still love phaser for rhythm stuff or added parts. All I do is play and record at home, so take my opinion for what it is worth. I know harmonic tremolo is super trendy presently, so I understand any rolled eyes, but it is super cool. Mine is a WA Monument V1 that is wider and easier to stomp and tap, IMO. It does cut bottom end, no doubt, which bugs me at times, but when I listen back to mixes I have finagled, I understand why it is voiced that way. It always sounds dope. It would be nice to have some control over that, though. I also love my HAZ Labratories Mutron III+’s notch setting for similar yet more subtle effects of the same ilk. Keep in mind as well that the Monument also offers standard tremolo. It’s got a little switch that lets you choose between trem types. Great pedal.