Red or blue?

• Redburst

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Blueburst

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
Both older G&L ASAT Deluxe. The redburst is a solidbody, has a belly cut and matching headstock, no case. The blueburst is semi hollow with Shaller locking tuners, with a case. Basically the same price. Same neck.

Attachments

• 20220104_175422.jpg
    20220104_175422.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 49

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I like the blue one.The body binding makes me wonder if it's a step up from the red.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I like the look of the Blue and I also prefer light weight guitars and assume the semi-hollowness would help with that. I say Blue!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
They’re both humbucker guitars. I’d play them both and buy the one that’s less muddy. You can use an equalizer to roll off low frequencies to improve clarity but that makes one more expensive than the other.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
Thx. Keep em coming! The redburst has binding as well. I won't be able to play either before buying. I hate that, but USA ASAT Deluxes aren't easily found in stores nearby.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I love G&Ls. I hate "blue burst" finishes. I will not play a heavy guitar, so weight is crucial. The semi-hollow is probably lighter (though that's not a guarantee) so I would lean that way. But that's the "blue burst."

I'd buy the "blue burst" and ask the seller to throw in a blindfold. Or buy the red one. I can't decide.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Both older G&L ASAT Deluxe. The redburst is a solidbody, has a belly cut and matching headstock, no case. The blueburst is semi hollow with Shaller locking tuners, with a case. Basically the same price. Same neck.
Hmm… the no case thing is incredibly irritating to me. Does it have a gig bag? Is it stolen?
On the other hand, neck-dive (semi-hollow, heavy locking tuners) sonofa…
I’d look at the blue one, and If it wasn’t the cat’s meow, I’d pester the guy with the red one and get the price dropped by at least 1/2 the cost of a case. Or I’d walk away and check back in a week or two if it isn’t sold.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Think of it this way: The one without the case is $100 more.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
The red one weighs 8.3 lbs. That's acceptable to me. I dont know the blue's weight, but assume it's less, being semi hollow.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Chambered bodies are notorious for neck dive and often have less "cut" in a band situation.
I like chamdered bodies, but I test the guitar thoroughly before buying one.
Play it while standing, with a strap, and just a few feet out from the amp with the amp on the floor.
Semi-hollow bodies can be dreamy, but can also be a nightmare to work with.

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
Those are great guitars. I had a ASAT deluxe several years ago. I think you would be happy with either. I would gravitate toward the lighter guitar.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
I'm leaning toward the redburst. I have ALL my single coil tones covered: strat, tele, P90 tele(all G&L). I have no humbucker guitars and try as I may, I cannot play Gibsons. I NEED the 25 5" scale length, I need the string tension. I feel the mahogany solid body would be(albeit, slightly) closer to Les Paul tones(since I can't afford a CS Lester with the 25.5" scale) and the telecaster body shape is my favorite shape. And generally, I like red more than blue.

But my mind isn't completely made up.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Of the two I would choose the blue. G&L guitars run a little heavy and their semi-hollows, while light, are not typically so featherweight to result in neck dive problems. The red also looks to me too close to the Fender FMT HH import guitar which while good in their won right isn't what I'd want my G&L mistaken for at a glance.

If you do prefer the red guitar one can currently buy the correct-sized G&G case (headstock makes them ever so slightly longer than a Fender Tele) for about $200 but in all honesty I put my cases in the closet and use thicker, backpack-style gig bags to move guitars around.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
Of the two I would choose the blue. G&L guitars run a little heavy and their semi-hollows, while light, are not typically so featherweight to result in neck dive problems. The red also looks to me too close to the Fender FMT HH import guitar which while good in their won right isn't what I'd want my G&L mistaken for at a glance.

If you do prefer the red guitar one can currently buy the correct-sized G&G case (headstock makes them ever so slightly longer than a Fender Tele) for about $200 but in all honesty I put my cases in the closet and use thicker, backpack-style gig bags to move guitars around.I never even thought about the Fender FMT thing. I hear you, but that kinda stuff doesn't matter to me. Ive played the FMT and didn't like it. The set or thru or whatever neck didn't feel right, didn't feel like a tele. And it was too thin in the body, not enough beef.
The Redburst has been ordered!

I never even thought about the Fender FMT thing, but that kinda stuff doesnt bother me. I have played one of those, didnt like it. Dont like carved top teles, the body was too thin, and tbe neck/body joint didnt feel "tele" to me at all.

The seller is including a tweed Fender hardshell case for a few more dollars, so the case thing has been handled. I too prefer those gig bags, have 2 good ones, but I'd rather it be shipped in a hard case.