1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which of you would move back to your hometown?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I moved from my home town at the age of 24. However, I was only 50 miles away, so I could stay connected with my friends and family. However, I moved 450 miles south about 11 years ago. I miss all of my friends so much, and wish that I could move back. But, it isn't in the cards right now.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid, that's how it was in most of Mission Viejo and Laguna Hills, all the way up to O'Neill and Ortega HWY. Open hills as far as the eye could see. I live in Appalachia now, and although I hate the climate, in many ways I'm enjoying the quiet and lack of crowds. Yesterday evening I went mountain biking on a beautiful hilly trail only a few miles from my house. Didn't encounter another soul. And the weather was perfect. That hasn't happened to me since I was a kid. Try biking or hiking on any trail in CA. Always crowded without fail.

Middleman likes this.
  3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have taken a cue from the modern views on gender identity, and I now ask people, "With which geographical region do you identify?"
    In most situations, "Where ya from?" just doesn't cut it anymore.

4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When you fill out security paperwork you are supposed to list where you lived the past twenty years. In college one year I lived in a trailer. A couple years after I left they got rid of the trailers and built a manufacturing building. Pretty hard to go somewhere in that building was my place of residence.

Sparky2 likes this.
  5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I lived in Detroit Michigan from 1954 until 1977. Moved my little baby and wife to Boulder Co. in 77 and never looked back. My siblings and some old friends still live in the greater metro area but I wouldn’t move back for any reason. Best decision I ever made in my life was moving to Co.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, it’s like I never left.

Hometown #1: I lived there at age 1. It’s eight miles away.

Hometown #2: Lived there from age 2-3, and it’s fourteen miles away.

Hometown #3: Lived there from age 4-12, and it’s 20 miles away.

Hometown #4: (Same as #2) Lived there from age 13-19.

I work about a mile from Hometown #4.
    My maternal grandparents, great grandparents, and great great grandparents, and Mom, are all buried there.

I drive through Hometown #1 on my way to and from work, and frequently drive through the others.

I never left the county except to go on vacations and work-related outings or sporting events.:D

P Thought likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't sweat it, Rick.
    Do you REALLY want to fit in Manheim? ;)
    A very sweet and well-meaning young lady (on whom I had a mad crush, BTW) once told me, very sincerely, that I should consider moving to Australia.
    Her reasoning was, EVERYBODY there is pretty weird and quirky, and there would potentially be a much higher level of acceptance of someone like me.
    I probably would have gone if I could have gotten her to go with me ;)

8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

No way! I left the North-East of England when I was six or seven and I clearly remember where we lived as being a deprived area. The houses all seemed to be damp, dreary and decrepit. We had an outside toilet at the end of the yard just to maintain the happy atmosphere...
    The back alley was very similar to this (and close by):

[​IMG]

The white, crumbly dog droppings that littered it stick in my mind. Forget tinned food, they were largely fed on scraps and bones hence the calcium 'deposits'.
    I went back to the area for a few days in 1993 and even though the slums had been demolished the town held a gloomy overcast for me and I was glad to get away.

Sparky2 likes this.
  9. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No, the little town I grew up in has been swallowed up by a city and has all the city's problems, crime, drugs,etc. It is no longer a safe place to live

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid it was all weatherboard wooden houses. Three bedrooms, Kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom, kitchen and toilet on 1/4 acre blocks.
    We had fun, walked everywhere, new everyone.
    Now they've knocked the all down and built fake Italian Tuscan houses and it's not the same.
    Reason: we were within 5 miles of the city.
    My Dad's house, our family home, is still there because he renovated it so well you wouldn't want to tear it down. It's like JJ Cale's or Elvis' home in really good condition. The new owners won't change it after it sold in 1998.
    I even heard a Mum , who was a childhood friend, and lives in an affluent neighbourhood now, say how much she enjoyed growing up there.
    You could swim in the clean river, plenty of sports, no-one was a snob (all equally poor) but Oh! what a great childhood.
    Many of us were driven and ended up millionaires.

11. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Just moved back after being away for 20 years. My career can move with me and there's family, friends that I couldn't replace anywhere else I lived.

My hope is that I can now afford to take vacations during the dead of winter instead of just freezing my ass off.

12. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I was drafted into the US army back in '69, it would be an understatement to say I was less than happy about that. As it turns out being forced out of my hometown was the best thing that ever happen to me, there is no way I could ever find myself living there again. Sorry Mom.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Town you were born in? Elkhart Indiana . No offense but - nope, no way.

Less than 5 years anyway.

Town you spent the most time growing up in?

The very white bread suburb I lived in from 13 to 30 is in the rear view mirror .

I went back there to bike a couple weeks ago and it was a blast because it is one of the few hilly areas in this flat ass state.

But the people who inhabit it now make my skin crawl and it is super-sprawly so u drive everywhere. To do anything.

Back in the hood , everything is 10 feet away so - it is where we be. For now.

14. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have lived out in the country within a 10 mile radius all my life. My dad's family sharecropped for my wife's family. Wonderful place with wonderful neighbors. Never intend to move again except to my final resting place.

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I would move back to my home town, or near it. In fact, I'm planning on it, soon.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I researched Houston in the early 1970s and applied to U of H law school in 1975 and they were extremely kind to me; high hospitality. Handed me the keys to a dorm room, handed me tickets to see Jose Feliciano.

But by 2010 for sure, the place is just not even remotely the same city. I'm not so much talking better or worse. I just mean it is beyond unrecognizable compared to the 1970s or 1980s.

Hill Country, man that area sure pulled at me in the 1970s, 80s, 90s. But if you ask me, it has been totally over-run and for me at least, the appeal has faded away.

bumnote likes this.
  17. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I moved back to my hometown a couple years ago, the plan is to move away again in the next year or so. Fish out of water is a good description. The majority of the friends I had growing up are all moved away, the couple that are here are into unsavory stuff that I don’t have any interest in. All the friends I’ve made since moving back are equally consumer with work and family stuff as I am, so not a lot of social time. I have a couple groups of guys that I play with sometimes. Well... playED with, pre-Rona.

18. boris bubbanov

I hear you.

I lived in a bunch of places, sounds like maybe twice as many as you, and never got settled in until I was in New Orleans in college. The houses my parents bought as my Dad moved from one engineering project to the next, were in ex-urban or not filled in suburbs, other families also moving around.

And so if I tried to go back I wouldn't find anyone or anything I could easily recognize. Maybe I'd recognize some people but they wouldn't be able to place me since we moved along so soon. I was in that house over there - when it was yellow. Don't you remember? They don't.

So, I would have to go back to the neighborhoods my parents lived in. Those are more indelible and sometimes there's a guy slinging pizzas and salads just as it was in 1950. The feel of the place is familiar and timeless.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. boris bubbanov

Intriguing post.

We've bought a Cabin in the mountains of North Carolina and it is lush and the views are fantastic and the weather kind. But I suspect that there's got to be a dark underbelly, and so even before this health thing, I have mostly kept my distance and made no effort to be a social butterfly there. I don't want to become familiar with people to the extent I learn their past histories of alcoholism, assault or treachery. The common thread around there is, people just want to be left alone - and I'm cool with that. If I wanna socialize until I puke, there's always New Orleans.

cravenmonket likes this.
  20. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

So true. That's one of the things you can't find here in SoCal, a decent trail without a lot of people. I used to bike through trails in Missouri and wouldn't see a person for hours.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.