1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Apr 12, 2021.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

1. 1) Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.

61 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. 2) Boss Katana Artist MKII, with a Boss GA-FC Foot Controller.

58 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

For your needs, I’d say go for the Boss Katana. Not only is it a great sounding amp as is, but it’s super bang for the buck. Perfect for home use and recording, and loaded with tons of effects. You can get pretty much the entire arsenal of classic Boss pedal effects from the software download that’s included with it.

Check out these YouTube channel clips from Paul Stafford Cook below. He’s a wonderful, very tasteful player and uses the Katana in addition to his various tube valve amps. He’s got a lot of interesting feedback on the Katana! He’s got some very informative videos altogether though. Cool dude.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    aging_rocker likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

BOSS ME80.....if you are only recording in a home studio thru monitors this gives you all you need. Great cleans and any fx you need....ive gigged mine without an amp straight to the board. No menus, fx are tweaked just like individual pedals.....sorry for breaking the rules.....but this is RnR and rules are made to be broken!

3. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

The Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. It is very hard to beat this amp in MHO. Great cleans and handles peddles well.

4. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

So.....
    IF you're not going to play live...
    AND you're only going to use this for recording in your home studio...
    Why buy an amp? Have you considered going with software amp sim plug ins instead? (This is, essentially, what the Katana is - embedded software running in a box with speakers.)

There are a million good reasons to buy an amp but, as you describe your use-case, it seems to me you'd be better served putting that money towards plug ins or, unless you've already got 'em, good monitors for your recording setup.

Double Stop likes this.
  5. Terero

Terero TDPRI Member

Judging my your music tastes, the Fender.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

although overpriced i think the tonemaster is much nicer.for your purposes i'd go with the katana.

7. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I have gigged a Katana... public was having fun, I was not happy with it, tried again and NO. Is a toy, not an amp. I have a Twin Reverb, but a real one. Best amp ever, period.

With the TR you will have a good tone where to start. With the Katana, you will have thousand of mediocre choices I will not ever use in your life. AND... some day you will gig or will want to gig... The Twin Reverb is gigworthy and studioworthy.... Katana is just a toy emulating his bigger brothers.

Be a man

Get the Twin Reverb

Or at least try it and use your ears... same with the toy amp, sorry, the Katana

8. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Uh. No. Go the other direction.

9. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

The ToneMaster seems amazing, but I's get the Katana. It's more complicated but does so much more. I have 65 PRRI Princeton and then got a Katana. Katana got 70% of my time. Have since graduated to a Helix and would never look back.

10. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Tele-Meister

Spend the extra bucks and get the Blonde version. They are different.

Bob

Jakedog likes this.
  11. SRVYJM

SRVYJM TDPRI Member

I own both (well, a TMDR instead of the Twin- but come on) first thing is if you went with the Fender for home- the Deluxe is far better because it's just not so loud. But I should point out owning both- I play the Katana both live and at home almost exclusively- the TMDR only comes out if I need perfect Fender cleans- it's still really too loud at home at good sounding attenuations. It's weak at very low attenuation- the Katana sounds amazing at it's .05 watt setting and still "feels" right- Boss really got the Fletcher Munson thing down right

12. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I'd probably get the Fender TR TM if I had to choose. I played one a few weeks ago and it was very nice.

Get a Helix to go with it and you're set.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi lmjmitchell!

Which Helix?

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

TONE MASTER! NOW!

I COMMAND THY!

I’ve had one for over a year and it really is as great as those who have one say it is

Especially if you want funky twangy goodness

15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Redraider66!

I keep hearing about the Helix, so tell me more about it (and which one, as there seems to be a few models), and do I still need a Combo Amp with it?

Thanks,
    Jerry

16. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I have a Helix LT, but you can get a Pod Go (basically a mini Helix) for $500. Very tough to beat in that price range.

A lot of people will run the Helix/Go through a FRFR speaker or a Powercab which is made by Line6 specifically for the Helix. There is no reason why you couldn't use it with the TRTM though.

17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Do the Helix, the Helix LT, and the Pod Go all sound the same?

18. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

The fender is a bit of a one trick pony. I’d sat Katana for your purposes

19. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Yes.

The Helix/LT just gets you a few more features that most people don't need. The only reason I went with the Helix LT is that I was able to snag one for $600.

20. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

good luck with your decision. Don't really know much about either amp but assume both are somewhat dependent on PCB boards and digital effects or electronics of some kind. I prefer older hand made Fender amps myself. They sound great if maintained and are fairly easy to maintain and repair. Not sure that is the case for either of amps you are selecting from. If you are fairly young, you may want to get a very good amp that you may keep forever. Not sure your choices fit that description. historically the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb are probably the most recorded amps of all time. But recording today is probably very different from what has been done in the past so these newer amps may be more appropriate for that purpose. Again, good luck. It is a journey.

Digiplay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.