1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Apr 12, 2021.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

1. 1) Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.

61 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. 2) Boss Katana Artist MKII, with a Boss GA-FC Foot Controller.

58 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Trying to work around a violation ticket, I can appreciate you narrowing down to two amps, and no doubt if you opened it up on this forum there would be dozens of different amps suggested. I would highly recommend trying out more amps before you slap down the bucks.

2. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I'm watching all your replies, which I REALLY appreciate guys!

So far the Poll is fairly close, with the Katana ahead by just a little (it was ahead by a lot more a few days ago).

Do the Poll results surprise any of you that either thought the Fender would win by a lot, or the Katana would win by a lot?

3. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I would vote for the Katana. I use mine for gigging (or at least I did) and I use it for home recording. I have gotten some FANTASTIC tones recording line out to my audio interface and into the computer. You can change almost ANY of the parameters you want when you are dialing in your sound. If you like to tinker you can dial in close to anything you want. Tons of classic effects built in and you can also download patches others have made if you just want to go that route. I ran foot pedals into my Katana clean before I started delving into the software and that sounded remarkably good as well.

I have never played the Tonemaster, although I have heard great things about it. For me though, for the price difference, I can't imagine buying the Tonemaster over the Katana, especially considering you said you don't play out. Even then, my Katana 100 is more than loud enough for the outdoor gigs I've played. You'll spend half as much on the Katana even if you buy the 2x12 version + the footswitch and you get all of the extra bells and whistles. As good as I think my Katana sounds, I can't imagine the Tonemaster sounding twice as good.

As far as am I surprised about the poll results? I am a bit. The biggest dig on the Katana I hear on this forum is from individuals who claim they don't want to "menu dive" or "use a computer to play the guitar". Even if you do not want to use the software there are lots of great tones you can access just from the panel. The software is icing on the cake.

StevesBoogie and aging_rocker like this.
  4. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

You'll never run out of LOUD with the Twin

5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

But do I need LOUD if either amp is just for recording in a home studio noname_dragon?

northernguitar likes this.
  6. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Sorry, I didn't read all your rules. My Bad... Go with the Katana since you are a beginner and are not going to play out.

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

The Twin is meant for a big stage, IMO. Lotta firepower for home use. More suited to a large hall. Cant say how the Tonemaster would fare at lower volume, much better, I suspect. There will be a lot of power you’ll never need.

8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

This! I see a lot of 'digs' at the Katana which seem to come from those who haven't used one, but seem to have some sort of phobia about them. I rarely use the software on mine, there are indeed a heap of great sounds available from the front panel. For the OP's requirements, how could it not be the obvious choice?

Digiplay and SonicMustang like this.
  9. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I suspect if it were the TMDR here instead of the Twin — which would be more analogous to the Katana Artist given the speaker size and wattage — the Fender would be out in front.

But I also think the Tone Master amps cater to a more seasoned player that knows they want that iconic mid-60s Fender tone with a few modern conveniences, and that some folks might see the Katana as being a better first step for you regardless of which Tone Master amp it would be going up against.

Call me crazy, but I’d recommend grabbing a small Fender combo like the Champ 20 or the LT Mustang and playing with that for a year before deciding on a bigger investment — literally and figuratively. I did that with a Vox Pathfinder 15R, thinking I’d eventually get something bigger, but realized I was perfectly content with the little amp, and actually prefer it for my needs over an AC15 or an AC30.

10. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

That big dig seems odd SonicMustang, as the:

1) Tone Master Twin Reverb has on the front panel:
    a. (On the Normal section): Bright Switch/Volume/Treble/Mid/Bass knobs.
    b. (On the Vibrato section): Bright Switch/Volume/Treble/Mid/Bass/Reverb/Speed/Intensity knobs

c. (On the rear panel): Power and Mute switches/Output Power knob/Cabinet Sim switch/Balanced & Line Out knob/Ground or Lift button, XLR Balanced Line out, Footswitch In.

2) Katana Artist MKII has on the front panel:
    a. (On the Amplifier Section): Amp Type/Gain/Volume knobs.
    b. (On the Equalizer Section): Bass/Middle/Treble knobs.
    c. (On the Effects Section): Booster and Mod buttons and knob/FX Delay buttons and knob/Tap button/Reverb button and knob.
    d. (On the Tone Setting Section): Presence/Master/Solo knobs, 4 buttons that allow you to store a total of 8 sounds within 2 banks.
    e. (On the Tone Shape Section): Global EQ button that turns on/off the EQ, (it will also allow you to chose between 3 EQ settings), a Contour knob.
    f. (On the Power Control Section): Knob that switches the output volume (or standby).
    g. (On the Cab Resonance Section): Switch that allows you to choose Vintage/Modern/Deep.

h. (On the rear panel): 3 Speaker Outs, Effect Loop Return and Send, Stereo Expand switch, Line Out and Power Amp In, Midi In port, usb port, Aux In jack, 2 Foot Control Ins, Phones and Record Outs.

So it seems to me that the Katana Artist MKII actually has more analog controls than The Tone Master Twin Reverb has, and after that, you can "menu dive" or "use a computer to play the guitar" should you desire to do so :)

aging_rocker and SonicMustang like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Opinions differ, on this. A TR shines at any volume. People get focused on its maximum power and think it's inappropriate for home use. A TR of any kind has a beautiful, room-filling, clean tone with the volume on 1 or 1 1/2. "Room-filling" isn't a synonym for loud, it's just having a lot of horsepower moving a lot of air through a 2 x 12" open-back cab. I played through one, set like this, for years.

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps in principle, amp power is similar to condoms archetype.

It's better to have it but not need it, than needing it but not having it :)

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Please forgive this goofy question guys :)

Am I obsessing too much over this?

Regardless of which one I go with, won't both of them do the job for me equally well?

What I'm about to say might be a strange thing to say, but sometimes when I'm having trouble deciding which piece of gear to buy, say a mic, I'll ask myself would Frank Sinatra have sounded great live with a Shure SM58, and I'll say, he would!

So in this case, if John Mayer played either one of my two choices of amps, would he still sound good?

And NO, I can't sing/play a guitar as well as Sinatra or Mayer :)

14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Anyone else? :)

15. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

You said “only” those two so I’ll reserve what might be a far more flexible but far more appropriate for what you say you want.

16. Trailpro

Trailpro TDPRI Member

Over the last 45 years I've tried just about every amp available on the market, and in the end I always return to the Fender. It just seems to be the rock on which most modern forms of country, rock and blues music were built.

17. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Neither - Neural Cory Wong Plug-In (50% off for the next couple days) through studio monitors.

Barring that, a Deluxe Reverb (ok, ToneMaster if you absolutely have to).

18. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi reddy2300!

Software? :)

19. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

Which one sounds better to you?

There you go...

rdjones likes this.
  20. tblaster57

tblaster57 TDPRI Member

neither

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.