1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Apr 12, 2021.

Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?

1. 1) Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.

61 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. 2) Boss Katana Artist MKII, with a Boss GA-FC Foot Controller.

58 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Okay, I'm tired of looking at this amp, and that amp, and with my convoluted thinking, it will be another year before I buy ANY amp :)

I've narrowed it down to THESE two, and ONLY these two, so please help me out brothers and sisters, just as you ALWAYS do!

To set the ground rules:

1) I have been playing guitar now for about 2 years.
    2) This will be my first combo amp (I've been playing clean sounds through my Studio Monitors).
    3) It will for recording only, in my home studio, and no playing live.
    4) It will be for my original songs (Pop/R&B/Funk/New Country/Contemporary Jazz).
    5) I had thought of going with a pedal board, but perhaps it wouldn't be needed depending on which amp I go with.
    6) I just want a good amp to get me started, and I'm sure that once I get use to either selection, there will ALWAYS be another one to buy as my skills slowly advance :)

The two, and the ONLY two amps, are these:

1) Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.
    2) Boss Katana Artist MKII, with a Boss GA-FC Foot Controller.

So which of these two, and ONLY these two, would you go with, and I would gladly like to hear your comments as to why you chose one over the other!

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Not being a fan of Fender amps I say Katana

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

If it’s only for home use, why the Twin Reverb? Yes, it can be run at lower wattage, but that amp shines when it’s run loud, like in a club, not living room. I know you didn’t want other suggestions, but I think the TM Deluxe Reverb is more suitable for your situation...and it will be a loud amp, too.

For the music styles you mentioned, I say go Fender.

4. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

The Katana will give you a bunch of tone options and effects, which could be useful. The TM will give you a great representation of a Fender amp - no options. Either one is a nice amp.

If I were you, I'd probably go for the Katana because you might want to explore effects etc for your recordings.

5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I voted for the Katana because it's cheaper and still plenty of amp. Best of luck. You'll be fine with either one.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi northernguitar!

1) Because of its design, hopefully the Tone Master would allow it to shine in my studio without having my neighbors call the police :)
    2) Most reviews say it sounds VERY close to the tube Twin Reverb, and please guys, I don't want to start a debate on a modeler versus a tube amp :)
    3) Most reviews say the Twin sounds "better" than the Deluxe Reverb, and again, I don't want to start a debate on whether the Twin or Deluxe Reverb sounds "better" :)

Jerry

northernguitar likes this.
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Katana, it's more versatile. And a lot of fun ;)

8. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Right on! You know my choice. And have yer kids before you ever decide to dime it; that’ll be a sterilizing level of volume.

JoshW77 likes this.
  9. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

You lost me at "only these two." OK, the Twin.

Alex W and ce24 like this.
  10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Twin Reverb. Simple to use, no menu diving, classic tones, and you can pick your own effects down the road.

11. DwaynHarris

DwaynHarris TDPRI Member

If you want a variety of sound the Katana. If you want a great clean tone for pedal platform the twin, although that's a lot of amp for home use.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Normally, I would say the Fender TM, as it does have a power attenuator, making it also ideal for low-wattage home use. But, the Katana is cheaper, has more bells and whistles the non-gigging home user might find more appealing. Get a Twin when you're really ready to gig and need/want a true iconic amp that will find its comfort place anywhere from small VFW's to large outdoor venues without the help of an external sound system.

Telecasters84 likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t like the Katana amps in live applications. I just don’t think they sound good. At all. HOWEVER... you said this will be strictly for recording (I’m assuming run direct to DAW, not mic’ing the speaker) and in that context I have heard some really great sounds come from the Katana amps.

As far as the Tomemaster amps, if somebody said they were going to give me a black face or silver face voiced Fender amp for free, no strings attached, and it could be any one ever made, but I had to keep it and play through it every day, I’d choose the Tonemaster Twin. Out of all of them from 1964 to now.

The combination of sound, the weight, the celestion speakers, the built in attenuator, and the digital recording capabilities just make it the best one. And I like the sound of a Twin far more than the sound of a Deluxe. Even at low volume. So yeah.

The obvious advantage of the Katana is all of the effects and different amp models, all for substantially less money. Of course, there might be an easy plugin you could use with the Twin that would negate that advantage. I don’t know.

I think in the end I’d choose the Twin, just in case you ever do start playing live or even just jamming with other people. While the Katana has the power to do that too, it just doesn’t sound good to me. The Twin sounds like a Twin. I’m not a Fender amp guy, but that’s a sound I can work with, and the Tonemaster does a really good representation.

El Marin likes this.
  14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Home use, twin, these really shouldn't be used in the same sentence, not a great fan of modeling amps generally but the Katana is what you need.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Joyo American Sound + an active D.I

That's my stock answer out of the way. Can you get to a shop that'll allow you to try them out? I get option paralysis. It takes me no time at all to get a sound I like out of my simple amps. Plug in, tune up, warm up, annoy others. For that reason, the Fender.

Flaneur and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  16. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Katana for your application IMHO...

Good luck!

Redraider66 likes this.
  17. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Those two amps are pretty different from one another. Classic Fender vs. fully-featured modeller. I think you should base your decision on how well you know your own wants and needs. If you know the Fender sound is what you want and you feel confident that you're not going to want to go in a different direction in the future, then that's great. Go with the TM. But if you feel uncertain about that the katana gives you a lot of different options that might come to appreciate as you develop and evolve as a guitar player.

Redraider66 likes this.
  18. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d say the Katana - but neither would be my choice. Not trying to continue a debate you didn’t want to start ;) but I don’t think anyone can objectively say the Tone Master Twin sounds better than the Tone Master Deluxe. They are different amps and both sound great and would both work for the genres you describe. Personally I don’t like the twins as much and greatly prefer the deluxe, but that is not an objective comparison - it’s my subjective opinion!

I picked the Katana because I just think it would be much more versatile as the only amp in a recording environment.

Redraider66 likes this.
  19. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I voted Katana but I don’t like your rules so I’m also going to recommend the Strymon Iridium for your purposes

Redraider66, MilwMark and Digiplay like this.
  20. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’d vote for the Twin Reverb TM. I am not a fan of do-it-all modelers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.