Which of these 3 tube amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by WilburBufferson, Mar 10, 2017.

1. since 1963

since 1963 Tele-Meister

Well, I thought this place (TDPRI) might be a good place to pass on experience, learn some new things and talk to other musicians. But with these posts, what I have found, though, is that this is not a place to grow instrumentally or sonically, but, rather, a place to join in with the group-think, to blow smoke, to regurgitate marketing BS, old wives tales and superstitions to participate in staid sameness. I realize, now, that most posters here are not actual performing musicians, that they are bedroom and basement stars in their own minds. Posers and noobs asking "what strings should I get?"..."How do I adjust my bridge?" or "doesn't my relic-ed guitar look great?" slobbering over an obvious and ridiculous marketing gimmick.
    TDPRI has little opportunity to expand your knowledge base as it is a place to support sameness, ignorance and mediocrity, none daring to step outside the "all hail the great god Fender" bounds, lest they risk chastisement from the Fender fascists screaming "slander", "heresy" as they slap each other on the back, delighted in their cloistered sameness. Many here are brand snobs and fully indoctrinated in the "if it isn't expensive, it is no good" methodology. Again, proof of their limited knowledge of the entire music equipment scene and so typical of noobs.

I will ask the moderators to remove my subscription. Lesson learned.

Durberville likes this.
  2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

You're on the TDPRI complaining about the design of the Telecaster and the Tweed Bassman? You make my head hurt.

Who else doesn't play rock music with Fender amps? Surely Joe Walsh, Don Felder, The Rolling Stones, Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, and Stevie Ray Vaughan would never use Fender Amps. They don't even play rock n roll anyways.

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Nice! What is it?

4. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

HRD, it's a workhorse and the CRex will come in handy with that drummer.

Concert might be the "better sounding" choice.

Play with your current board on the Vox and tell us what happens. Not the easiest to work with IME.

Btw, Fender and Vox amps can coexist :)

View attachment 412502

5. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's a great amp. I have the blond Tolex version and love it.

Congrats.

7. WilburBufferson

Thank you everyone for the responses. In light of my "accidental" VOX AC15 purchase, and it's corresponding impact on my guitar fund, I've changed my "playing out amp" strategy. I've created a new thread over here for those who want to carry the torch forward. Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. thickwood

thickwood TDPRI Member

Yep Rivera or Deluxe

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

That must be one loud drummer.

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

What the heck are you talking about?

Ira7 likes this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

He's gone.

It seems like he's the only one out of thousands of TDPRI members whose opinion matters, but these thousands of us just haven't realized it yet.

12. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like he's leaving because he can't get free advice from rock stars LOL.

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Townshend used a 3x10 tweed Bandmaster combo for all of "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia", with a Gretsch 6120 guitar.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's someone else who doesn't rock :rolleyes: playing through a silverface Fender Champ-Amp:

Rokatt88 likes this.
  15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My vote is to move to a ground floor residence THEN pick any amp you wish :D

16. WilburBufferson

Amen. My dream was to own a home by now, but housing prices and (later life) educational pursuits have turned me into a perpetual renter. Good thing I'm not a gigging musician by day, or night for that matter. As my current band doesn't have any shows lined up, the amp purchase is not urgent. And to be honest, I am even considering a Katana. Waiting to hear more about them before I bite, however.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I meant rent a downstairs place. I rent as well, but have a place downstairs facing the street, so I can park right outside. Don't have to lug my bike, amps or anything upstairs. Can't imagine lugging a 50-60 lb amp up and down 4 flights, even when in my 20s!

A nice SS amp that meets you volume needs sure would be lighter for the climb.

18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You're in Canada? Hit up some garage sales and find a '70s Traynor. The stock speakers were cruddy and it'll probably need a re-cap, but they're well made, sound terrific and are a total bargain.

19. WilburBufferson

Well, two months later, and a show in the works for June has got me amp shopping once again. The limited VOX, though very nice, will never see the stage as I regard it more as a collectors amp and it is quite heavy to lug around for an amp that won't likely have enough headroom for my situation.

So, I'm looking at the Prosonic again. Wally: I re-read a number of your old posts and have to say that you've got me leaning in that direction. Most of the HRD III's around here are almost the same price, so why not go for the more versatile and better quality amp?

There's also a Peavey Classic 50 410 that is about 200 less than the Prosonic, but I know the Peavey is an absolute beast in terms of weight, so I think I'm set on the PS.

The new Fender Mustang GT100 has definitely got my interest though. It's only 22 pounds and has some nice, modern features. They're not available here yet, though.

20. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would have went with the concert, but does the band you gig with have a PA? Buy a small amp, or use the vox you have and mic it and save your back. That is the obvious answer, or even take the money and put it in PA , microphone, whatever you need to make that work. Some of the Class D stuff now with neo speaker sounds really nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.