Which of the following will most improve tone?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AgaveBlueCaster, Nov 16, 2008.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

the #1 thing that has helped my tone over the years is lots of practice

that and a good tube amp

2. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

Different "attacks", i.e. phrasing etc. are overstated since they're not something tht you'll always use, only for parts of the song. You do learn to "Pick better" to an extent, but most of the more notable timbre effecting things you can do are only for certain licks.

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you could always get a new pair of hands.

4. Jasper

Jasper TDPRI Member

Someone once told me that tone comes from the choice of gear. Sound comes from the musician.

5. GuloGulo

GuloGulo Tele-Meister

The only honest thing that will affect tone overall is the player. Its not that you have, its how you play it and how those fingers go down.
    You sound like in a situation where you haven't found your sound yet. I've been their before but I didn't ask for opinions.

Then I constantly sold my electric guitars over and over trying to find the "right" one. I realized later that I'm just wasting money. You pick a guitar you feel most comfortable playing, then you practice and play the heck out of it. I should of started out with a telecaster because I'd of saved a lot of money :)

The player can influence themselves on a guitar and is one of the only truly self expressive instruments going. The guitar never lies. It gives away crappy playing, it gives away people who have no "feel." The telecaster just takes this principle and supersizes it.

6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I went to a club once and my friend said, man that guys got great tone dontcha' think ? I said no, it's way too bright and trebly for me .. He told me I was nuts.

I played a jam once and as usual I played from the mid PUP position as I often do, one guy says to me, you need more bite and growl when you play.

I said.."ok"

Once when playing a gig I was just playin' along and the other guitar player says to me, are you going to leave your sound like that ? I said "yes" are you going to leave yours the way it is ? I was playing mid PUP position thru a Hot Rod Deluxe he was playing the bridge PUP thru a solid state amp.

Tone, so who gets to define whats good or bad ? Or right or wrong ?

evidently not me :lol:

7. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Nor me. I agree completely.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I rarely play a phrase with the same right and left hand technique for every note. I don't have one standard method of picking that I alter for special effects. I like to be able to shape a phrase using different right and left hand techniques.

9. thebbender

thebbender TDPRI Member

get the tone you are looking for out of your guitar and amp first and then mic amp with a i5, sm57, royer, etc. Try to stay away from plugins. I have used plugins extensively, amplitube, toneport, ampfarm, and micing a good amp is way better with reamping being the second best way to record electrics. Once you step into the recording realm there are many other factors like a/d converters, mic preamps, mic choice etc, audio interfaces. I have a mbox 2 and a vintech 273 neve clone that i use with a audix i5 and I am extremely happy with the results. But i am playing a american tele through a 71 twin reverb with jbls so most of my satisfaction is coming from the guitar and amp tweeking that I have done. good luck

10. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Gee, I dunno. I'm pretty sure tone is inversely proportional to effort.

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Go buy a Custom Shop Nocaster, keep new Ernie Ball 11s on it, and play through a 65 Reissue Twin Reverb. You will never have tone problems again!:lol:

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

+1

only if you know what your fingers are doing (attack, vibrato, coordination) you'll be able to tailor a tone (and eventually find your own sound)
    I saw Frisell last sunday and again was impressed how he forces the guitar to produce the sounds he hears in his head - pretty standard tele, DRRI, sounds you'd never expect from a tele (before using the pedals, which he utilizes to add special flavours and effects). million dollar tone from $ 2k worth of gear.
    because he can!
    Or think about Redd Volkaert - he often plays peaveys, a brand that most of the disciples of the holy gear would consider crap. partscaster from ebay-parts. does he sound crap?
    or take holger boden (buddyholgi) from berlin - japan tele, and line 6 tone port. and does he sound good! because he can.
    On the other hand I saw legions of players on the occasional blues jam with boutique amps, custom shop guitars, boutique pedals, $ 10k or more - and still sounded like playing a squier affinity through a frontman amp. because they just could not use it, because their playing was kind of flat.

Don`t get me wrong, every craft needs the proper tools - and better gear certainly is better than the beginner's pack. in the end, you get what you pay for. but it means nothing in the hand of a player which is not able to get that tone out of it.

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I forgot: try different picks!
    A friend gave me a box of any kind of picks once (he tried them all and eventually came back to the classic fender pick) and it was amazing how different they all sound.
    material, thickness, it all makes a difference.
    try it with your fingers and thumb also - maybe that's your way?

when I was a kid I played classical guitar - I never sounded the way I wanted. at the age of 24 I took lessons again and first thing my teacher did is working on the way I attached the string. It's all about getting the string to vibrate not only horizontal but also vertical, relative to the top of the guitar so they can actually stimulate more vibrations from the top. bingo - took some efforts, but my tone developped from thin and flat to fat and singing (same guitar, same strings - but a better educated player).
    I applied that concept to electric guitar - this shaped my tone like nothing else.

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

but what if you don't use any picks ?

15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

read my post!
    ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.