Which of the following will most improve tone?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AgaveBlueCaster, Nov 16, 2008.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The last set up was a year ago. If it was done properly then I fail to see why he'd need to have it done again.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

What we pay big $$$'s for to boutique makers to get those vintage style hand wired amps is all they had.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Wonder why I can't get my Dr Z to sound just like my Peavey Bandit.

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

Because "Tone is in the fingers" is just something unhelpful people say in these threads so they can feel all deep without actually saying anything of worth. "Learn2play" is almost never the answer people want to hear in these threads. It shows a pretty sad misunderstanding for what tone is to begin with...

5. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

I agree with Rena. When I ask for help with a technical issue, I don't want a confucious-like philosophical answere like: "wax on, wax off....it's all in the fingers, grasshoppa!"

Every little thing makes a difference, whether it's changing pickups, the speaker in your amp, your bridge on your guitar, your strings, the pick you're using, your techniques, your cable that you run from your guitar to your amp, all of it has some effect on your sound. If tone was "ALL in the fingers", there would be no point in worrying about owning a nice guitar and people like Brad Paisley would say: Psshh, I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money on that decked out Crook tele, this First Act guitar I found at walmart oughta do just fine! After all, tone is ALL in the fingers, right? Ha!

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I missed the point of this question.

Which of the following will most improve tone?

What does this have to do with ability, tuning or intonation? You guys, while giving some great answers if the question was How do I become a better guitar player?, seem to be glossing over the tone part.

Saying things like "use these strings" or "use a heavier pick" or "use this guitar, it will sound better", just don't fit. I mean for one thing, yes it will sound better......TO YOU! It may not to me or the next guy. It's easy for me to say I use GHS Rollerwound Nickel Rockers, 9-42 and delrin picks 1.5mm and Horizon cables directly into a Mesa Boogie Mark II and it will sound better. It sounds good TO ME. Lots of guys sound good using what they use but i don't think it answers the question.

Sorry again for my attitude. I've been listening to politicians all morning so I'm touchy about questions not being answered.

7. Old Cane

I have no way to play these files and this is kind of a hassle, to download and find out it's not a compatible format. A lot of us here use soundclick.com and can link directly to an mp3 we post.

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

i can´t play anything under 1 mm. and nice fat strings do the trick. the toneport is a good thing.
    so i would suggest:
    fatter strings, higher action, fatter pick and some tweaking of the toneport.
    good luck!
    eddie

9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

+1. It wasn't a rhetorical question. I already knew the answer.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm thinking about it a little bit and realize that I don't want a particular tone, per se, out of my gear. I want the gear to allow me to produce the range of tones that I want. For example, I really like the BBE Sonic Stomp because it allows nuances of very short durations to be more audible. This allows me to make use of more fingery-type actions, like slides, bends, trills, and pick techniques. These are all different tones, if you will, that the BBE helps me to make audible.

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

You know, what might be best is just a good dirtbox, at least for distorted tones. Analogue dirtboxes will have analogue filters which will sound warm without getting muddy, and a lot can act as clean boosts. A good dirtbox or clean boost might do wonders.

Aside from that I really like the Amplug AC30, it's good for clearing up muddier tones. It can even make some tones on cheap multi-fx more usable.

12. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I'd normally say that practice is the most important thing, but if you're just learning to play and all you have to play through is a Toneport, I'd say definitely get yourself a good amp.

To me, the amp is probably the single most important piece of equipment as far as getting a good tone. More important than the type of guitar, and definitely much more important than what gauge of strings you use (I dont even agree that heavier strings necessarily sound better...some of the greatest players in history have used and continue to use very light strings. Myself, I'm using 9s right now and am totally happy with my tone). I can pretty much plug any guitar into an amp I like and get sounds I like.

"Tone is in the hands" is true up to a point. You make the tone with your hands... but if you can't hear sounds when you're making them, you're never going to know if you're doing it right or not, and you're not going to get the satisfaction out of hearing the sounds you're making. I just think playing through an amp is generally more enjoyable.

As far as home recording goes, I like the sounds I get with the Toneport and Gearbox software. When I record myself, I plug into the Toneport instead of mic'ing my amp.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

oh

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

15. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

Come to think of it, if your problem is "range of tones" the problem with Line6 stuff is that it tends to be a little generic. It tends to modify most of the more popular amps, focusing on the most popular settings on those amps, and often leaves out a lot of "Edgier" sounds, even ones that are equally popular. Everything focuses on being very smooth and focused, which is often the opposite of my approach.

That and it can be a little lifeless, very processed.

So I definitely think getting a good unique sounding stomp would be a good bet. You get a great range of tones out of a RAT for example.

16. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'm one of the guilty ones suggesting the lessons/skill as the most effective to improve tone.

My response was based on my perception that AgaveBlueCaster is a relatively new player, and my own experience that while my playing sucked, so did my equipment. When my playing improved so did the sound of my equipment. So for the new player I believe the fastest way to great tone is improved playing. I also like lessons, not as a substitute for anything but as a quick way to make the most of your practice.

17. Old Cane

I agree proficiency is important. It's job one as someone used to say. But how many times have you been so offended by someone's tone you couldn't stand to listen no matter how good they were? I'm not saying I'd have to take off my shoes to count the number of times but I would have pull both gloves off.

I agree not so much on what you are using and how you are using but I think as you improve your ear develops and go from what sounds good to you when anything sounds cool to asking what sounds good (like here) to knowing it sounds good period. So yeah, more experience does indeed come into play but here he has some decent stuff. It may already sound good or it may just be not so good recording technique. I still can't play the clips and I'd really like to.

18. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Tone is overrated. Every time I browse the internet I hear "amazing tone" from guys who can't play music. Really, what's the point? If your playing is terrible and it ain't music, but just noodling anyway, does it make any difference what the tone is like? They may think they sound like their guitar hero because they play the same equipment, but they don't.

And anyway, the OP listed "8. Take lessons to improve my playing" as an option. I think he's gotten some good suggestions in several different areas. Improving your playing will also improve your "tone". If you don't believe it, you may fooling yourself.

19. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

Again you might not think it but this is really offensive to textural guitarists who are more about the texture of their sound than playing cheesy rock solos. There's kind of an almost elitist idea a lot of guitarists have that "tone" is somehow a shallow pursuit and all the depth comes from technique which isn't true.

I think people here are too wired into classic rock and it's modern derivatives, and thus forget how many other ways there are to use a guitar. Not everyone is interested in sounding like Clapton, and not everyone who wants to sound like Clapton wants to only sound like Clapton.

One of the reasons I want to get a Tele is to ge similar sounds to one of my guitar heroes, Daniel Ash. On the surface of this, Ash isn't a particularly good guitar player. Nothing he plays is all that complex(though some of his songs involve difficult flings and bends from one end of the fret board to the other), but his use of effects and generally twiddling is really pretty clever. Apart from learning to use an e-Bow and things like that, technique wise, I'm not going to get those kind of sounds just by angling my thumb a bit differently.

Me, I like guitarists like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and the classics, but I'm probably more interested in slightly more modern alt rock artists who are about building up walls of sounds and texture and noise to convey a feeling.

Have you heard the Smashing Pumpkins song, Soma? That's a pretty moving song, and apart from the solo which is full of funny little tricks, most of it comes from the sound the guitar makes, rather than the technique, which is simple plucking and strumming. Using the right sounds for the right song is important, and so many technically good guitarists miss out on getting the right sounds completely, just as the other way around.

Tone is important - it was tone(distortion) after all that changes the guitar from a less prominent, plucking based instrument to one that can be used in a violin like manner. You just can't do that with an acoustic or clean electric. Tone has an immense impact on a song.

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.