Which of the 3 blues Kings is your favorite?

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Freddie for the win, early instrumentals are great, Woman across the river, Texas cannonball and Gettin' ready are 3 of the finest albums you would ever want to hear. BB and Albert obviously great too, love the early BB King stuff but Freddie for me.

BackwaterJunction

Tele-Meister
For me, it's BB. I know it's a guitarist cliche to talk about "xyz has no feel", "xyz has amazing feel" etc to essentially separate players we like and don't, but BB had feel by the bucket. I really don't think there's been anyone *quite* like him.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Albert. Doesn't mean I share his taste in guitars or amps, but hes my favorite.

He's one of the guys that makes the Flying V definitively cool!

Also:

jimi-hendrix-1970-flying-v-2-chris-walter.jpg

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Across the street from Anderson Guitarworks
Freddie. Forcing myself to listen to more of the other two, for educational purposes...

BB King overrated? Try to find anyone who’s never heard of him. Try the same with the other two. That’s just one metric. Anyway, my favorite is the late great Albert King.
If all three players are just as good, the one that's most popular is overrated, or the others are underrated 🤷‍♂️

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Freddie for me, 100%. Followed by Albert, who used to be my favorite. BB King overrated as a guitarist? Let me hear you cop his licks especially his vibrato. Good luck. Check out some of his early 80's jheri curl years playing, dude is a sharp man with a guitar and immediately recognizable but yes he himself would admit he couldn't play rhythm and sing at the same time. Not sure that makes him overrated.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think it is still B.B.King with me as a lot of my own blues playing, either comes directly from BB ( Say his vibrato on 'the 1' note, and general phrasing),
or from those guys I LOVE, that picked up a lot of their playing from B.B. King- Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield - I hear B.B.in all their playing.

I do love playing Hiedaway, The Stumble, San-Ho-Zay ( sp?), and a few Freddie King vocal songs ( poorly),
And I really can't touch what Albert did - he had those epic bends,

But B.B.King is my #1

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
BB was the most accomplished of the three, by far---listen to Live in Japan, Live in Kansas City, or the Lucille instrumental album.

Reactions: BB

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Sorry, I get to vote three times -- see my handle.

And I will give one vote each. My dear mom had a saying that was useful in a million Mom contexts: "Comparisons are odious." It's impossible to have favorites among things that are perfect.

Freddie for his energy -- amazing driving stuff unique to this day. Albert for his licks. BB for his taste, discretion, and the air and space he left around his notes. They're all my favorites, and 'you can't take that away from me.' :):):)