Which non Telecaster guitars can sound most like the genuine traditional Telecaster?

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never had a non-Tele that sounded or felt like a Tele. Had one of those G&L Bluesboys with the humbucker in the neck a few years ago that was a great guitar, but it sure didn't sound or feel like a Tele.

That Talman looks interesting. Nothing wrong with Ibanez.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I have a 1994 Gibson All-American II. It's a variation on the double-cut Melody Maker. It has 2 NSX single-coil pickups, a Strat-style vibrato, a 3-way switch and 1 volume and one tone pot. The NSX pickups were the middle pickup in some of the Gibson Nighthawk models. The All-American is an odd duck, with single coils and a whammy on a traditional mahogany body with a set neck. With the selector switch in the middle, it....kinda gets the neck/bridge sound of a Tele. But individually, the pickups don't get the sound of a Tele. I have to agree with previous posts that nothing else really does.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I understand what the OP is trying to do but I’ve learned tge hard lessons that tell me it’s pointless. Pointless? Yes.

There are people who would tell me that my avatar Telecaster with N4 Noiseless pickups doesn’t sound like a Telecaster. That’s nonsense. I have two Stratocasters that sound enough like a Telecaster for what I play but don’t really sound the same themselves. There’s no way my Gretsch Anniversary with FilterTrons sounds like a Telecaster but I love it. I’m pretty happy with my SG with 490 R&T pickups too. Which brings me to my point. No two guitars sound the same, even the same model. Add on the amp as a variable and it’s hopeless. But it’s not.

If you think it’s hopeless you need to change your thinking, not your gear. You’ll assuredly find great sounds soon after you stop trying to make one guitar sound like another. Go back to basics with each guitar and make them sound as good as you possibly can. Pickup height, pole pieces, strings, where you pick, even that Telecaster ashtray bridge cover, all affect tone. Ice pick or muddy, an equalizer can help. Twang or growl? The intensity slider on my BOSS EQ-200 helps with that. It’s actually a joyous feeling when you’ve finally optimized a guitar’s tone and made it your personal sound. I haven’t heard my personal sounds used in an arena or on TV but they’re my sounds and they’re exactly what I want from my gear. Try it. It’s a lot more satisfying than trying to make a Samik or any other guitar sound like a Telecaster.

Bartimaeus

TDPRI Member
Any solid-body humbucker guitar can get close to a Tele if you install a coil tap and a bass cut knob. Even just the bass cut knob will go a long way on a humbucker guitar, but it'll be more compressed than true single coils. And sure, the resonant peak might not be in the right spot, but if it's got a bright tone and you play it like a Tele, it'll sound like a Tele!

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I have a few that can sound like a Tele on the bridge pickup, but they don't feel like a Tele, and they don't capture that tele neck or middle sound: (1) an AVRI 62 Jazzmaster on the bridge pickup, with the tone rolled off enough to fatten it; (2) the bridge pickup on a Gretsch Duo Jet with Dynasonics and a bigsby; (3) and a Les Paul Jr. with alnico pole P90s, again with tone rolled back.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I don’t really understand the question. Is it theoretical, or something you actually want to do?

Could it replace Telecaster and make believe people that it could be a real telecaster?

Make who believe? People who know what a Telecaster is probably wouldn’t care (unless uber geeks), and people who don’t (the majority of audience/ listeners) wouldn’t know, let alone care.

And that’s leaving aside the question if people can even tell, if just listening. I know heaps will say (insist?) they can, but for general generic rock, pop, etc., I suspect most can’t. I can’t.

Pax/
Dean

theleman

Tele-Meister
Hi.

I don’t really understand the question. Is it theoretical, or something you actually want to do?

Make who believe? People who know what a Telecaster is probably wouldn’t care (unless uber geeks), and people who don’t (the majority of audience/ listeners) wouldn’t know, let alone care.

And that’s leaving aside the question if people can even tell, if just listening. I know heaps will say (insist?) they can, but for general generic rock, pop, etc., I suspect most can’t. I can’t.

Pax/
Dean

It was just a question which popped up into my mind - nothing serious or something anyone wants to do.
At the time, I had no Telecaster type guitars at all. All I had was a Yamaha 012 and Samick LK-450 HSH.
I wasn't sure if I will get hold of any tele type guitars at all, so the question came up.

Now I have a few telecaster and tele type guitars. And from my opinion, if you play a guitar without effect - straight through an amp, then people would know what type of guitar you are playing without even looking at the guitar.
But with the heavy effects and distortion, they might not know it.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Samick Greg Bennet guitars play really well. Their hardware and electronics are cheap, but for a few hundred they can be upgraded to excellent instruments for the road.
samicj-jr10.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't have any Telecaster guitars at all now. But I have a Samick Humbucker guitar LK-45, and an old Strat copy and a Yamaha PAC012.
I read somewhere that some guitars can mimic Telecaster tone. So I tried with my Samick LK-45, and some effects on my GX112 amp.
And it kinda sounded like a Tele on the bridge pickup, but not quite. I might be just mishearing it from the hypnotic mental state.

But wondered, is there non tele guitar that would sound like real tele both for the bridge and neck pickup - the growl?
Which make and model would it be? Could it replace Telecaster and make believe people that it could be a real telecaster?
It's funny you mention Samick.....before I ever had a Telecaster, I had a Samick Tele-clone that I picked up in a pawnshop for $200. Back in early 1990's. It sounded more like a Tele than many real Teles. Sadly, it was stolen in 1994. But it was "authentic"......

theleman

Tele-Meister
Samick Greg Bennet guitars play really well. Their hardware and electronics are cheap, but for a few hundred they can be upgraded to excellent instruments for the road.
View attachment 976729

I used to have Samick Greg Bennet Acoustic OM guitars, and they were fantastic players. They were very accurate, and intonation, action and everything was perfect. The wood and FB were good too. I regret selling them off.

But that Tele style guitar looks great, and should be very versatile sounding with 3x pickups. It looks cool too.

theleman

Tele-Meister
It's funny you mention Samick.....before I ever had a Telecaster, I had a Samick Tele-clone that I picked up in a pawnshop for $200. Back in early 1990's. It sounded more like a Tele than many real Teles. Sadly, it was stolen in 1994. But it was "authentic"......

Wow 1990s - long time ago. Yeah, I would imagine Samick Tele-clone would be good guitars. My Samick LK-450 HSH is certainly a great guitar - the looks, workmanship, the material, playing and sounding all good. I like playing it. It is a keeper.