Which noiseless?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by imwjl, Oct 21, 2008.

1. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe some noiseless pickups will take away my sick desire to buy an expensive humbucker-type guitar and not mess up the love for my Tele????

All I know about noiseless pickups is that I like them (Bill L. design SCN) in my Am. Dlx. Ash Stratocaster, and that I would like my Telecaster to be as quiet and sound good.

I'm not married to the idea of Bill Lawrence pickups, but think of his stuff based on the praise and affection for him here. What I have is a Hwy. 1 "upgrade" model and I would like tone the same or a step more jazzy.

Thank you for any advice, and I hope I have not created a flame war showing interest in the Bill L. products as much as I know the connection to the SCNs in my Strat and know the respect for him here.

Thank you again.

WJL

2. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

How about the Fender tele noiseless? Are they any good?

3. imwjl

That's what I wonder, but my only experience was briefly at a Guitar Center where the noise was so loud my kids and I had to shout to communicate. My local shops that work on electric guitars give me extreme opinions where one thinks noiseless pickups are sacrilegious and junk while another said he'll only order Fenders because the little companies are terrible about shipping product and in some cases standing behind product.

Again, I like the SCNs in my Strat as my only reference.

Thank you.

4. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

After experimenting with all brands and designs of noiseless SC-looking pickups, I have to say that some of the best I've heard are from DiMarzio, with Kinman running a close second. NOTHING really sounds or feels like single-coils though, so why even go that route? If you want THE absolute best in SC-sized pickups, Barden is the answer. Expensive, but oh-so worth it! :D

5. ole6string

ole6string Tele-Meister

I have the Fender Vintage noiseless pickups in my partscaster and I love them. I think the tone is great and very quiet. If I get a chance I will try and post some clips today.

6. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i'm kinda partial to the EMG-T P-ups, the best solution i've found for a noiseless yet tonalicious Tele....

i also have a set of the GFS Cool Vintage Lil' Puncher P-ups in one of my DeLacugo sparklecasters, they're not goin' anywhere anytime soon either...

[​IMG]

7. imwjl

Reason for noiseless: I've realized much of my electric guitar playing is in my office where my pickups pick up more noise than other places. (Should explain my post about getting black face tube tone at low volume).

Yes, my Strat has the SCN for no noise, but I doubt many here would put argue about my preference for Tele over Strat.

Thank you.

8. ole6string

ole6string Tele-Meister

Here is a couple of cheesy webcam vids of the Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele Pickups.

This one is all the clean sounds and I managed to make it through all positions...

This one is with a heavier tone but I never made it to the neck pickup. The song ended too fast. :lol:

These pickups have worked out real well for me. I like the tone alot. I am one of those people that just cannot stand the buzz of single coils.

9. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Let me please clarify: what I meant was, why use something that LOOKS like a single-coil if it isn't? This refers to the different design (double-blade) of the Bardens.

I have the SCN's in one of my recent Strat builds to go with a Duncan Antiquity II Firebird PU in the bridge. The SCN's are BETTER than the previous Fender attempt at noiseless pickups, but still lack the solid bottom-end that a real single-coil has. The Barden blade design doesn't. They have everything...including a hefty price tag! :eek:

I have the GFS Lil Punchers in my latest Tele GE Smith clone. They are VERY nice. Not QUITE the Bardens, but close enough to forget about the boutique pricing. They have a bit of a P90 vibe, which, to me, is never a BAD thing! :D

10. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I've had my Fender Vintage Noiseless neck pickup for years...and I LIKE it!

11. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My band plays in places with dirty power - our rehearsal place and most of the trashy clubs we play, so noiseless pickups are a must in my tele. I've got Bardens in one Tele, and the Kinman Broadcaster set in my Nocaster. The Bardens are superb for what they do - they have a wider tonal range than stock Tele pickups and a bit more hi-fi clarity when you want that, but they don't sound like stock single coil tele pickups if that's your goal. The Kinmans sound comparable to the best single coil tele pickups I've tried (including Fralin, all variations of Fender) and are noiseless to boot. The Kinmans sound like good single coils. To my ears the Fender tele noiseless pickups are "simple" and "flat" sounding in comparison to either the Barden or Kinman ones.

Evil Funk likes this.
  12. bruce

bruce Tele-Meister

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but are these noiseless pickups the same as stacked humbuckers, if not, what's the diffence?

13. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Fender's Vintage Noiseless, as well as Kinman, Dimarzio, Duncan et al "Strat Looking" pickups (i.e. look like stock single-coils) are all of a stacked-coil design. Bardens, GFS Lil Punchers, and EMG Select are side-by-side dual blade design. There have also been EMG and Lace pickups with covers that sported phony "magnet" slugs.

I hate hum myself, but there is no free lunch with noiseless pickups. They never REALLY sound or feel like a true single-coil, but get close enough without the hum, so it's OK for most players.

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have Kinman pickup sets of three different varieties in four Strat-type guitars and I wouldn't use anything else at all now. Haven't gotten around to fitting Kinmans in my Teles yet but the time will come. They're not cheap but they are beautifully designed and built and sound wonderful. In fact they can stand alone as great-sounding pickups that just happen to be noiseless too as a bonus.

15. notryt

notryt TDPRI Member

Giovanni (any model # for any guitar.. hands down best budget pickup without the budget sound.) for a tele GVT-1, hard to find, no US sellers but damn!

16. Gross

Gross TDPRI Member

I put a Lace Sensor in mine and am pleased. It is dead quiet plus I really like the tone.

17. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

L280TN plus L290TL or L200TL will give you an amazing, clear, warm noise-free set for around $100 shipped. However, Bill's lead pickups do NOT like a ferrous bridge (one you can stick a magnet to). Those bridges can make the pickup squeal with high gain or volume, and can cause the pup to hum. The magnetically susceptible metal distorts the magnetic field of the pickup and has a serious negative effect on the quality of the overall performance. When I went back to a Gotoh brass bridge, ALL of the issues with the L290TL disappeared. No squeal, absolute silence between notes, warm tone with bite and growl.

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Dimarzio AreaT or Area Hot T.

19. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that insight. I have owned pricey jazz guitars like the Gibson Johnny Smith, but I find that I actually prefer the jazz tone from the neck pickup on my lowly Squier Classic Vibe 50. There is something magical about single coil.

So, the question becomes, if one is not willing to abandon single coil pups, what options are there to reduce hum? Stand far away from the amp? I am told by the GC tech man that shielding the cavity will not do much. How about the "clean power" units from Monster? Will they have any effect on inherent single-coil hum?

20. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I used to agree that you couldn't get noiseless pickups that sound or feel like 'real' single coils...I even upset Chris Kinman online once after posting a negative review of his pickups...but after using the Dimarzio Area T tele pickups I no longer think that.

You have to adjust the heights carefully, but in my opinion/experience they can sound and feel almost exactly like the Duncan AlnicoIIPro I gigged for several years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.