Which noiseless bridge pickup to pair with Twisted Tele neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Southpaw Tele, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I have a MIM Player and I love the neck pickup (which is apparently a Twisted Tele pickup). However, I want something a little quieter for the bridge, 60 cycle hum wise for where I play (church). I’ve been eyeing the Gen 4 Noiseless, Area T, and the Chopper. Anyone do a pairing of a bridge humbucker (single coil sized) with the Twisted Tele? I’ll take any other suggestions, too.

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan of the Area line. I have an older Virtual Vintage Hot T in one and it can do anything that I, personally, want it to. Don't know how it would match up for you, but it will keep up with a mini bucker easily.
    The regular Area might be better in your application, just for that reason.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like my Seymour Duncan hot stack.
    It's twangy, slightly more midrange-ey, and dead quiet.
    Perfect, IMO.

teleplayr and Southpaw Tele like this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Bill Lawrence does a noiseless. They're affordable too.

6. Southpaw Tele

Well, now I’m intrigued with the SD Vintage stack! I did have a Tele with Bill’s Keystones in it and would love to try his noiseless design, too. Lot of options here.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If you're sticking with 250K pots, I think the Chopper T may not balance well against the Twisted Tele neck.

I've currently got my Chopper T combo'ed with a custom-wound Bootstrap Tele neck pickup. No, it's not a TT, but it's a bit more Stratty sounding than your average Tele neck pickup, just like the TT is supposed to be.

...Anyway, my opinion is that the Chopper T is just a bit too gruff and middy sounding, vs. a Stratty sounding Tele neck pickup. Maybe jumping up to 500K pots might de-emphasize the mids on the Chopper T a bit, but then the neck pickup might end up being too bright.

I'd say that if it's a 'standard output' neck pickup, which is probably what I'd consider the TT to be, and if you're using 250K pots, you probably can't go wrong with the regular Area T bridge pickup, if you favor traditional-sounding Tele bridge pickups, especially.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Good suggestion. I think the clarity of the BL/Wilde pickups is a good match for the clarity of the TT at the neck. This will be important if you're trying to deal with both using a single tone control.

9. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Just a warning, once I had a Bill Lawrence bridge pickup paired with a single coil, and the output of the noiseless pickup really overpowered the single coil. They were so unbalanced I didn't like the combo.

You might have better luck using a pair of noiseless pickups rather than trying to mix them.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think the Area T bridge will probably work well with any given number of non-noiseless Tele neck pickups. It was designed to work with the Area T neck pickup, which has output that's on par with non-noiseless Tele neck pickups.

Just for instance, the Area T bridge and Twang King bridge have roughly the same output (actually DiMarzio lists the TK as having just a touch more). And the Area T neck, True Velvet T neck, and Twang King neck all basically have really similar listed outputs.

11. Southpaw Tele

I may give the Area T a whirl. I appreciate all the input here. I predominantly play on the bridge with a medium amount of dirt (Helix LT in a Matchless model with a Klon Centaur model in front of it) and the lighting in our church plays havoc with anything less than pristine clean. The TT is more of my go to clean pickup and it does okay (noise wise) and I really love the tone coming from that thing with the stock 250 pots. I have set a bit of a noise gate on the Helix, but I hate having to use it because I think it may be sucking some tone. Not sure.

12. Big-ez

Big-ez TDPRI Member

Check out zexcoil as well. They have a range of different outputs available. I tried the Areas and really disliked them. To me the zexcoils have more character.

13. Southpaw Tele

Yeah, I haven’t made a move, as of yet. I played Sunday and used the noise gate on my Helix LT to get rid of some of the hum. It’s a pretty noisy stage.

14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have one on my MIJ Custom Telecaster, great pickup.

Southpaw Tele and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.