Which Multi-Effects Unit Has The Best Amp Modelling?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by colchar, Jun 29, 2015.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I'm not entirely sure this is the proper subsection of the forum but, if not, hopefully a mod will move this to the right place.

Now that that is out of the way...I am looking for recommendations for which multi-effects pedal has the best amp modelling.

Because of nasty arthritis in the wrist of my picking hand I am currently learning to play with my fingers, rather than a pick. Obviously, this means that the tone I get has changed (especially when using my SG). Because of this, I am not as happy with my amps as I had been and am now considering buying something different. But in order to help me decide what I want, I would like to try out various amps by using the amp models/sims in a multi-effects pedal. Now I know those are never going to be exactly the same as what they are emulating, I just want to get into the ballpark of various amps as a first step towards choosing a new amp.

So which multi-effects pedals offer the best amp modelling/sims? It would be nice if the other effects in the unit were decent, but my main focus here is amp models/sims. It would also help if the unit is reasonably priced (say under $500 - so no Axe FX II units or anything like that) as I don't know if I will keep it after choosing a new amp and do not want to lose too much money when selling it.

I know some people will recommend a Fender Mustang amp, and if I have to go for one of those I will, but I would prefer a floor unit (anything from small Pod sized ones up to larger floor units) as I already have a tube amp, and a hybrid amp as a secondary amp, and therefore don't need another amplifier (if it turns out a Mustang is the way to go I will simply sell/trade in the hybrid and replace it with the Mustang).

I should add that I only play at home, so this unit won't be used for gigging or anything.

Thanks in advance.

2. BazC

BazC TDPRI Member

I'd urge you to at least consider going the software route through a laptop/desktop. My current favourite is Positive Grid Bias $79 for the basic version which is excellent or $179 for the pro version with better amp models and amp matching. Amplitube is also excellent and the basic version is free. You'll also need an interface and some decent speakers though. It should still be well under your budget of $500 and the sound quality will be amazing.

3. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Zoom MS-50G. I've been using it's version of a Twin Reverb and Deluxe Reverb amp sims for recording into a mixer and interface soundcard with my MAC and Pro Tools and have been surprised with the results. I even use a boost pedal in front of it like I would a real amp. Incredibly useful single size stomp box with lots of FX and a good sound.

4. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

I go direct every Sunday at church and we play a very wide range of songs. I use a Digitech RP360XP along with a couple of external drives and it's awesome.

5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Someone else mentioned this (on another forum). I have never even considered doing this but it is intriguing.

The overwhelming majority of my playing is done about ten feet away from my desk and desktop computer. That computer is connected to my stereo (a Kenwood XD-A8 mini-system that sits on the top shelf of the bookshelf on my desk) and provides sound for the computer. Would playing guitar through the computer and those speakers be safe for the speakers? I would only be playing at normal home volumes (so not cranking it up any louder than your average television) so I would guess it is safe but do not want to assume and ruin my speakers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. BazC

BazC TDPRI Member

I'm sure it would be fine, I play through ordinary computer speakers and most people use some kind of powered monitor so I don't see why your system shouldn't be just as suitable. If you're concerned check with the software developers, I've always had great support from Positive Grid who make Bias and IK multimedia who make Amplitube.

7. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Perhaps the Mustang Floor? They were recently discontinued, but there are still plenty out there if you look around. Good modelling, very tweakable, plethora of in/out options. You can even use it as a USB interface for computer recording.

8. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

I like the BOSS GT-100 amp modeling, but the more I use it the more I realize I like it better at higher volumes. Could be a function of my amp (Fender Supersonic 22) but I am going through its "vintage" clean channel.

9. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

check out a zoom g3 in person or online. i got mine used from gc for $100. lots of amp models, effects etc.

10. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

My instructor has one of these and loves it! All the flexibility of a MIII without the amp you don't need ( and already have!)

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I was in my local guitar shop and was talking about this issue to a friend who is a sales guy there and he said that the Mustang amps were just great. I'll have him check their system to see if there are any Mustang Floor units available in the chain (used preferably, new if used isn't available). If there aren't any I will look into a Mustang II amp.

But tomorrow is a holiday here (I hate it when the holiday falls midweek and screws up a long weekend!) so I won't see him again until Friday as he is off on Thursdays.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look for these:

Line 6 POD
    Behringer v-amp
    Johnson J Station

I have a Zoom something with a little pedal on the side that I got with a used guitar that sort of works for messing around but if I find a Line 6 or the Behringer above for cheap I'll get one of those. Note that on the Line 6 POD that they use some funky proprietary power supply that is costly to buy separate.

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have played a lot with Amp modellers over the years....this is my experience.

Pod Pod XT and sub generations - Are okay. newer models are better...mostly as good as the Digitech stuff.

Boss/Roland Amp modelling - not the greatest. Often have a weird ring modulation effect behind....not very accurate at all to the original it is modelled from.

Vox Tonelab - Some people swear by them but I found them to be pretty poor. Including the VT Vox modelling amps.

Zoom G3 - interesting, the models all seem to have a nice single coil tone that is not found on any other device. This works great on the Fender amps and maybe vox but not so much for others....Problem to me is that the Marshalls and others also have this character to the tone...I think it would be excellent in some recording situations and average or worse in others.

Mustang - Played a III model..it was okay....could be good but didn't spend enough time with it......initial impressions...average. Open to further investigation.

Digitech RP 1000 - Really quite good. More than workable, almost really good. I settled on this and haven't changed for the past few years. despite trying others.

Digitech RP series (not 1000) quite good, seem to me to be not quite as good as the RP 1000. Had the 500 and the 360 for quite awhile, both excellent value used.

Amplitube 3 on pc - Very good but a little inconvenient sometimes. faffing about with a pc, loading the program etc...BUT some of the setups are really very good.

Eleven Rack - Just arrived today, will update if interested.....

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I took a look around the store's (well the chain's actually) website for used gear and they have the following available:

Line 6 Pod X3 Live - $148

Line 6 Pod HD400 - $249

Fender Mustang Floor (with metal travel case so I guess the previous owner used it live) - $159

Digitech RP360XP - $179

There might be more on their internal computer system that hasn't made it to their website yet.

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

For reference, I have had the eleven rack for a couple of days now.

Driven amps sound very good and the amps themselves seem to respond to the controls like the real amps (more so than any other modeller I have tried)...sound wise is approx. 10-20% better than the digitech I have....

Overall I am very happy with the unit, I cant seem to stop playing which is a good sign...

I think in hindsight and all feelings of G.A.S aside...the Digitech RP 1000 is more than capable.

So back to the OP, my overwhelming conclusion / suggestion would be the Digitech RP 360 XP.

Let us know how you get on.

16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I was seriously considering the RP360XP until I downloaded the software for it. While I can edit preset patches it doesn't seem to want to save the edits and, far more importantly, I simply cannot get it to let me create my own patch (ie. I cannot even choose an amp to start off with). And it has crashed on my a few times since being installed earlier today.

I also took a look at the software for the Mustang Floor and, although it is easy enough to navigate, the Floor unit is V1 which has limitations with regards to effects (ie. it has one generic overdrive rather than an emulation of any existing overdrives) and has fewer amp models than the V2 software does. Unfortunately, the Floor cannot be upgraded to the V2 software.

As I type this I am downloading the software for the Lune 6 Pod X3 Live unit and, once installed, I will play around with it to see what I think of it. Once I have done so I will be in a better position to choose between the three units (the Line 6 Pod HD400 that I mentioned in a previous post is out on rental at the moment so I assume whoever rented it did so with an eventual purchase in mind). That being said, I might see if my local store has any of the three units I am currently considering available for rent and, if they do, I will rent one to get a hands on feel for it.

ETA: I just spent a few minutes messing with the Line 6 software and, although it has a lot more amp models and effects available than the Mustang Floor does, you have to purchase many of them from their website. The software itself is OK, but is only marginally better than the Digitech software (I am also wondering if that might be easier to use if I actually had a unit plugged in when using it). If the Digitech unit is easy to use manually (ie. not using the software as much as the on unit controls) then I might be leaning back towards it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  17. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Nothin for nothin but I have a Mustang III and dont find the need to change anything, I made 3 amp models that I use and I have not touched them hardly since I made them.

I originally started looking for something light weight because I was having a knee surgery and wanted something easy to move and cheap enough to leave at a rehearsal space, I first got a Pod XT and though it had a lot of presets, effects and models, I couldnt make any of them sound good unless I was making a high gain preset. I would get something that I thought was ok one week and the next week it just sounded bad to me. With the Mustang, I dialed it in like it was like a single channel amp and got a sound I liked in minutes. If my amp model is dirty, it cleans up with the guitars volume just like a tube amp. It also has the best feel of any other modeler I have tried. My tube amps now only get play time at home and I take the MIII to gigs just because t sounds good and is light weight. I have not tried all of your modelers that you are trying to decide on but I would try to get to a store that has them all in stock to try next to each other.

18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I was in the store today and was talking about this to my buddy who works there. He said I should give Zoom a try. I had a G3X a little while ago but gave up on it, probably too quickly as I never really got into the nitty gritty of creating my own patches or altering the amp sims. We decided to check the chain for used ones and it turns out that they had one in the store for just $99.

Another option we were discussing was a new amp. I had been considering a Traynor Dark Horse and a YGL-1. The YGL-1 seems better suited to my needs, and is a better amp overall, so he checked their computer system and it turns out that there is one available in the next province west of here for just $350 so that is an option as well.

The Zoom that they have has been put aside for me and I'll think over the YGL-1 tonight. If I decide to go that route I can order it tomorrow or Monday.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Same for me and I have the Mustang III v.1 :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.