Which Modern Amps Can Do This?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pixie-Bob, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Some years ago I had a Marshall TSL601 - 60w combo tube amp. One of its features was "Silent Recording", here's the explanation from the user manual...

"Master Volume: User Hint - As the (rear panel mounted) speaker emulated D.I. output is derived from this circuit you can balance the sound coming out of the loudspeaker from zero to full, whilst maintaining a constant level out of the D.I. output - ideal for silent recording, direct to the desk."

Are there any other modern combo tube amps that can do this?

2. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

The new Marshall Origin line has the DI output that I believe works the same way.

Pixie-Bob likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Lot of boogies

4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

You have nearly endless options for this. More and more amps, even in the budget world, are starting to add this in. Boogies and H&Ks have been doing it for a while. Do you want a standard amp that can do this? Or do you want an amp purely for the purpose of doing so? That really changes where you should be looking.

5. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Great question. Answer is: I don't need an amp for performing - just recording. So a pre-amp with cab emulation and no power amp and no speaker would be good.

6. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Oh man, then you have options out the wazoo. I'd suggest taking a look at the Le Preamp pedals from Two Notes. I've been using their Torpedo Captor with my Rectoverb 25 head to both record silently, quietly play through my desk monitors or headphones, and as an attenuator for playing through cabs. And it does all of it amazingly well, I'm blown away by the cab sim. They've put that into a two channel, pedal-format, tube amps with a ton of extra bells and whistles for about $320 or so. I've been eyeballing one for a while and really enjoyed how they sound in all the demos I've heard.

They come in the Le Clean, Le Crunch, and Le Lead. Think classic Fender, classic Marshall, and more modern Boogie sounds.

Here's a decent review of the Le Clean with sound samples:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/le-clean

7. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Excellent! I'm very grateful, thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.