which model of replacement strings should I buy for my Custom Shop Tele?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by tommyhk, May 13, 2019.

1. tommyhk

tommyhk TDPRI Member

My Custom Shop Tele comes from factory with these strings:

Custom Shop Tele with Fender® USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges).

I am not sure what strings should I actually buy if I want to have more of the exact type that came with the guitar, for replacement.

I found these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DUS8Y/?tag=tdpri-20

but I am not sure these are the ones.

2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Looks like the one's to me. NPS 10's

tommyhk likes this.
  3. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Historically thinner strings came later.

From a TDPRI thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1950-tele-string-gauge.759055/#post-7819485

"A little searching disclosed that Fender strings were not even mentioned in their catalog until 1955. Then, in the 1957-1958 catalog it shows Electric Spanish Guitar Set #10 (but no gauges indicated). Later, in the 1968 catalog (page 43), it identifies the Spanish Guitar #10 (13, 17, 28w, 34, 46, 55); but also shows the #1500 series as OEM installed (above)."

Then there's the school of heavier strings creates more mass across the magnetic field and some folks are using 12 and 13 gauge but they are tuning down a half-step or more for the flexibility that they wish.

If you are looking for the exact string gauge used coming out of the factory go to the fender.com and look up your model and go to the specs page and I believe that is where they list it . Sometimes they come out with .009 sometimes they come out with .010 but it should be in the specs.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

When I was playing strats, I used Fender bullet strings because the bullet end fit right up in the tremolo creating more mass. And I was playing so much that I rarlly went beyond two weeks on a set of strings, so they were always rather fresh. And they were less expensive than all that other stuff out there.

I think I was picking them up for $3 something a pack and buying in bulk. I looked this morning and nickel-plated steel .010 (non-bullets) in the Fender brand are going for $4.10 a pack.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone know whether Fender Custom SHop use different strings for different guitars or whether it is all Fender® USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges).?

I will vary mine by small degrees dependent upon the perceived tension of the guitar bt me, some guitars perform better in terms of feel thinner or thicker strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.