Which mics and where for rercording Guild acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by rze99, Aug 14, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Hi I'm doing a (distanced) acoustic guitar recording next week.
    Using a Guild D4 NT (fairly loud and middly) with new strings sounds bold and sweet. It's just me recording and playing so I want to try to get a good set-up as soon as possible as I'll spend ALL day fiddling.

It has a Seymour Duncan acoustitube pickup in the sound hole which I plan to ignore.

I have three mics available SM57 and SM58 and an AKG C1000

I'm planning on using two of my mics:

one nearer the soundhole pointed toward the end of the fretboard
    one about a foot apart and a foot away at the upper bout of the body

Which of the mics would you use in which position for best blend? I'm going via Mixer into Focusrite scarlett into a DAW.

PS I have two rooms I can use - one with wooden floors which is slightly resonant and big, and the little study which is really soundproofed dead. the study is more convenient

thanks
    R

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Try em all... One pointed at the 14th fret about a foot away, one pointed at the saddle about a foot away and a room mic... Good luck.

3. rze99

thanks

I think the larger brighter room is the place to try too

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Why not try them out and see which one sounds best in your setting? That would be the easiest way to find out which one you like the sound of best. No way of nay of us to know without hearing anything.

So much about recording is about trial and error and just putting in the time to learn the gear you have and the only way to get the best songs out of them is to experiment and actually put in the time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    DrPepper likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

More natural reverb for sure...

6. rze99

Indeed. I'm looking for experience advise about the best place to start really. Fully appreciate need time to try and adjust I'm just trying to minimise the set-up time so that I get on and play and record!

7. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

I have a couple different mics. Usually use an Audio technica AT2035, LDC for a Martin acoustic. Pointed at the 12th fret, 8-12 inches away.

Sometimes a second mic, pointed at the bridge. Usually a dynamic, such as the SM57.

The SM57 and 58 are very similar, if not the same. I would try the AKG pointed at the neck and SM57 at the bridge, first, and see how that goes. Both about 8-12 inches away.

The AKG, being a condenser mic, *should* pick up more of the overtones, highlights and nuances of the guitar.....so...neck. While the SM57, pointed at the bridge would be for balance and bass.

Not a pro....just my 0.02...YMMV

DjimiWrey and Dave Hicks like this.
  8. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Here's my shot at it with my Canon EOS Digital camera. Oh, and with my holy grail Guild acoustic, it's a DV-52, rosewood and spruce, scalloped bracing, yada yada. Didn't turn out too bad for a straight acoustic song into the camera I think.

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I recorded this one with my guild D140CE using Audacity, an Audio Technica 2035 mic (about 2 ft. from the guitar directed at the upper frets near the sound hole) and an M-Track 2X2 interface. I also use a Sure SM57 with good results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    navigate40 likes this.
  10. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I would try the condenser, off-axis, aimed between sound hole and 14th fret. Then get some top resonance from a 57 at the bridge area.
    If it's mostly an acoustic guitar song, the live room sound might be suitable. If you have a number of tracks to mix in addition to the guitar, a dead-sounding room will yield a recording you can tweak later to fit in the mix. You can also use the DAW to correct any phase issues generated by the dual mic recording process.

still_fiddlin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.