Which looper pedal? Digitech JamMan solo xt or Boss Rc-3

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
I've been really gasing lately for a looper pedal and after looking at a few online I've narrowed my search down to one to the two. Who has either the Boss rc-2 or the Digitech jamman solo xt? What did you like about it? I'm trying to figure out which one is easier to use and get a feel for what the general concensus was, thanks guys!

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
Pictures!

These are the 2 pedals in question, I like the fact they have a full function loop pedal in a standard pedal size, anyone?

Attachments

• Bossrc-3.jpg
    Bossrc-3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 611
  • DigitechJMSXT.jpg
    DigitechJMSXT.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,671

simonsp

Friend of Leo's
They both look scarily complicated! I'm waiting for the simplified JamMan to come out. Just one knob equals heaven.

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
They both look scarily complicated! I'm waiting for the simplified JamMan to come out. Just one knob equals heaven.

I guess that's where this bad boy comes into play but I don't know how long it would keep my interest, could be an other option though, thanks!

Attachments

• tcditto.jpg
    tcditto.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 2,547

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Haven't used the Boss, but using the basic functions of the JM Solo isn't that difficult, though I don't even use the rhythm feature. Most difficult part is timing the beginning of the loop and end of loop, hitting the pedal right at the first strum, then again just as the 12 bars are about to begin again. It has "tempo count in" way to begin as well, but I've had no luck with it.

On ebay you can find them with the optional footswitch included for a pretty good price. The 3-button footswitch REALLY is a good thing to have. Allows you to stop the loop with one tap, and cue up loops as you're playing.

Cool thing is you can make all your own rhythm tracks loops to play to, and also load backing tracks from CDs, or downloaded from the Web.

Last edited:

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
Haven't used the Boss, but using the basic functions of the JM Solo isn't that difficult, though I don't even use the rhythm feature. Most difficult part is timing the beginning of the loop and end of loop, hitting the pedal right at the first strum, then again just as the bar is about to begin again. It has "tempo count in" way to begin as well, but I've had no luck with it.

On ebay you can find them with the optional footswitch included for a pretty good price. The 3-button footswitch REALLY is a good thing to have. Allows you to stop the loop with one tap, and cue up loops as you're playing.

Cool thing is you can make all your own rhythm tracks loops to play to, and also load backing tracks from CDs, or downloaded from the Web.

Looking at the features the Digitech JamManSXT seems to be the winner, thanks for the info. I really like to jam along with youtube backing tracks and the fact that they can be loaded into the pedal is awesome if you want to bring the pedal along to a place without internet such as a "camp".

Steveareno

Tele-Afflicted
Had the Boss RC2 (early version). Worked great, but had more bells and whistles than I needed, so ended up selling it. Recently got a good deal on a Ditto Looper and really like it. Nice and simple, easy to use, intuitive, etc. Just 2 knobs and nothing to figure out. Don't feel like I'm under using it. Only miss the auto-start (on the Boss) which was a big help. Loopers are great for practice, or if you're organized ....for a live gig. Just lay down the background chords, hit the pedal and do a solo over them.
Swang on,

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
Just lay down the background chords, hit the pedal and do a solo over them.
Swang on,

Yeah that's what I really want to do with it, don't know if I'd use the drum beats or not but I do like to mess around with stuff a lot so I'm thinking it will keep me busy. The Ditto could be all I need though so it's a tough choice, thanks for the info!

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Looking at the features the Digitech JamManSXT seems to be the winner, thanks for the info. I really like to jam along with youtube backing tracks and the fact that they can be loaded into the pedal is awesome if you want to bring the pedal along to a place without internet such as a "camp".

By "camp" it has to be a place with 110. It only operates off a power supply. I think the RC3 will operate off a 9v battery.

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
But wait there's more...

Just ran across this little jem it appears to be digitech's answer to the Ditto, more food for thought I guess!

Attachments

• Digitech-Jamman-Express-XT.jpg
    Digitech-Jamman-Express-XT.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 792

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
How do you like it?

Well, I'm a total newbie at looping, so....

It works. It's easy. My only complaint (and this would be a complaint with all loopers, because it's not the loopers' fault) is... since I'm using the same guitar tone for overdubs, everything kind of melds together... it doesn't stay distinct like it would tracking on a tape machine or computer. I'm still experimenting with that... I think I need to play LESS... I have a mindset of laying down 2 different rhythm tracks, then soloing over, like you would in a studio, but the looper isn't powerful enough to do that really.

But again- that's not really about the hardware, it's about the technique.

You can't beat the price! And I prefer the 3 LEDs to the Dittos 1, and I prefer the standard size for a pedal that gets stomped on ALOT.

Drewsome007

Tele-Meister
And I prefer the 3 LEDs to the Dittos 1, and I prefer the standard size for a pedal that gets stomped on ALOT.

Thanks for the info ruger9! The three led's definitely seem like an advantage as far as ease of use would be concerned. And as far as the size, I know I want that size just because I want to be able to run as many pedals as I need in the smallest amount of space possible.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the info ruger9! The three led's definitely seem like an advantage as far as ease of use would be concerned. And as far as the size, I know I want that size just because I want to be able to run as many pedals as I can the smallest amount of space possible.

well, the ditto is smaller, but in my experience those "micro" pedals MUST be velcro-ed down to be reliable... otherwise they move around too much, especially under heavy use, like a looper is.

OP you know you want all those knobs and buttons on the Jam Man over the Boss, the Jamman Express or the Ditto, whats the problem........

Dont like the dark blue color :confused: ?!?!?

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Really, the only decision between the basic and more complex loopers is; do you want the ability to store a bunch of loops, load backing tracks, and be able to even record several loops for one song (different rhythms, bridge & chorus) or do you only need one loop at a time with added overdubs if you wish, and just erase/lose it when you decide to make another loop?