Which Light Tele Body to Replace Nashville Body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skoolboy Jim, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Skoolboy Jim

Skoolboy Jim TDPRI Member

I love my Fiesta Red Nashville Tele, but it's at about 8lbs. I really love the 12" radius neck and I only have 2 pickups in it. But I need a Bigsby on it and I can't deal with a 9lb guitar. Any recommendations on a Fiesta Red body that is lighter? What weight would you recommend? 4lbs? I'd prefer to go stock Fender but if I have to go aftermarket that would be ok. I don't want a body so light that I get neck-drop, though. Thanks

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

With a Bigsby attached, seems unlikely that neck dive would happen.

I was gonna recommend Best Guitar Parts but they didn't have anything on their Specials page I was confident you would like, to have a pro finish applied.

I think maybe you should keep your Nashville as is and go to the shops anywhere near you and find a guitar with the Bigsby already installed and working beautifully. A Bigsby install is IMO problematic in that a lot of them just fail to thrive - and the thing is removed. I do all sorts of basic work, finishing and assembling T and S guitars and getting cool results, but the Bigsby is scary to me, unless the guitar is bought ready to play. Let someone else be the gambler as to whether it works this time.

+

Allparts has a Fiesta poly S body
    [​IMG] And I thought they had a T in this color. Don't fret that list price. Talk to your local Allparts dealer and his price to you might be 60% of this. But then, will it be light enough for you?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Skoolboy Jim likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

WRT weight a 4lb body will only lose you a pound and the bigsby will gain some of that back.
    3 1/2 lbs would be a better start and Warmoth can fix you up with a weighed body.
    They might even offer your color, check their website.

nojazzhere and Skoolboy Jim like this.
  4. Skoolboy Jim

Warmoth, yeah, I'll give them a check and keep it at 3.5! Thanks both for the input!

5. boris bubbanov

Jim, look very carefully at this "Vintage" body from Ken Warmoth:

https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/body/telecaster/vintage/

[​IMG]

Notice, that while it is closer than the old, proprietary shape that Ken invented when he feared being sued by FMIC, it still isn't going to fool someone like me.

I mean, if you care at all how "'Fendery" your Telecaster is.

Skoolboy Jim likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

On my latest build, I went with an unfinished Paulownia body from Guitar Fetish.....not a Nashville route, but could be done that way. The body itself was somewhere around 2.5 lbs, (don't remember, sorry) but total weight for a standard Telecaster format, with Warmoth neck, is a hair over 5 lbs.....almost TOO light. But, compared to MY 8 lb. (former) #1 Tele, it's much more comfortable on a gig. Plus, it was really fun and satisfying doing it myself......;)

casey2910 likes this.
  7. Skoolboy Jim

Hey No Jazzhere. Tele bodies are all 4lbs except chambered ones. Have you ever seen a 3.5 lb tele body?

8. boris bubbanov

Well, I've seen them because I have bought them from Tommy Rosamond (the old USACG). And I wasn't even aiming for lighter ones, as a significant number of people did. If Tommy and Co., made it, it could be 5 pounds and I might buy it.

9. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you like relics search the MJT listings on eBay for finished bodies, it’s possible to get a swamp ash body in the 3.5 pound or less range. Also warmoth has weights listed on their bodies, you can easily get under 3.5 pounds with either a light swamp ash or a chambered body. They will route them any way you want and will finish in gloss or satin poly, though no nitro.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

No offence but I highly doubt you've weight all the Tele bodies & wood being wood varies a lot. I have 8 Strats. One body is Swamp Ash & the rest are Alder. So...my heaviest & my lightest Strats at both 60's style guitars with Alder, & maple with rosewood with the same bridges, tuners & pickups that are different sound but basically the same construction.

There is a big difference in weight.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not quite sure what you're asking/saying? I have one "Fender" Telecaster body, and I've never weighed it by itself. (total guitar weight is 8 lbs.) But the Paulownia "Telecaster"-shaped object I bought from GuitarFetish was about 2.5 lbs. Total completed guitar weighs a hair over 5 lbs. That's ALL I know about that! ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Don't worry about neck dive with a Bigsby!

13. telemnemonics

Where are you getting that weight from?
    Solid non- chambered Tele bodies vary between like 2 1/2lbs and maybe 8lbs.
    My lightest swamp ash body is under 3 1/2 lbs but that's based on bodies I've weighed ending up making a Tele about 3lbs heavier than the body. I did not weight the body that ended up being a 6lbs 5oz Tele but it had a seller listed weight under 3 1/2 lbs and is indeed very light solid swamp ash, which is seen regularly but sells for a higher price than heavier bodies because we all want light weight nowadays.

14. telemnemonics

6F1584A0-B1D4-4ADC-A1FD-2E3E6BD52905.jpeg D1211299-884C-4E9A-B385-4D01889A5AB1.jpeg 2D7BBE02-690D-4FFC-8C0D-D294C602892C.jpeg Pics of two of my Teles (Esquires) on the scale I bought recently.
    The only part that varies in weight is the body and it’s a 1lb difference.
    Threw an even heavier guitar on to show it doesn’t only read 5oz!
    I also weighed some of my Tele guards and a Tele neck pickup and both run about 2 oz so call the 6 lb 5oz Tele more like 6lb 9 oz for comparison.

Tonetele likes this.
  15. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

I have a Squier Affinity Tele that's thinner, front to back. That makes it lighter and, more importantly, comfier. So comfy that I can't hardly stand to play my Nashville Tele with a push/pull neck switch. It's a 'nicer' Fender instrument, MIM, but dang it feels so thick and heavy after playing that Squier a while. And the Squier just resonates like nobody's business. Seems like less wood, and maybe a lighter wood, makes it feel more alive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.