1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Lefty Telecaster for around $700?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 8barlouie, Jul 3, 2018.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m gassing really bad for a Tele. On the radar is the new Player Series. They seem like an improvement over the prior MIMs. Should I just go with a Squier CV for almost half the price? Should I wait and save a some more and get an Original Series or a Ron Kirn? I’m really all over the place on this. I’m suffering badly from analysis paralysis. Believe it or not, I kinda like the PRS SE Custom 24. Not a Tele, but it has that Je ne said quoi.

Keep in mind, I’m currently Teleless. There, I said it.

I play heavy blues, rock, modern rock, and a little jazz fused in. The bridge pickup is where it’s at with the Tele, but I really love a nice, woody, mellow neck tone. It sounds like my wife when she’s complaining. I mean that in the most affectionate way. :rolleyes:

So what should I do? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  2. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

As a fellow lefty, I share your pain.

Personally, I care more about the quality of the fretwork, than the name on the headstock. I would save a couple bucks and make sure it gets a once over by a great tech.

rooboo and 8barlouie like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got a squire affinity and for dirt cheap canuck

this is the first fender I have owned since the mid 60's that I have not wanted to rip the guts out of it and I love the sound of the pickups, I did replace the cheap wiring, put in CTS pots and a DBX tone circuit, and reversed the plate but none of this changed the sound of the pickups setup or acttion

surprized the hell out of me , it may be worth looking into for a player guitar sorry for the crap pics

P1011793.JPG P1011794.JPG

chemobrain and 8barlouie like this.
  4. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

20180603_221307.jpg I would try whatever you can get your hands on and see what specs you prefer (radius, fret size, maple/rosewood/other fretboard, neck shape etc). Try some righties for pickup combinations and/or wiring tricks. Then save up and a builder like Kirn to build exactly what you want. God knows we lefties have few options available. I lucked out and found my perfect guitar in a swap with another lefty.

8barlouie and 24 track like this.
  5. tallpaul

tallpaul Tele-Meister

Baja if you can find one
    Does everything you'd need a tele for
    Mine even makes a nice cup of coffee!
    Ok I may have lied about the last point

8barlouie likes this.
  6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Fender don't make a Baja for lefties.

Ben-Zion and 8barlouie like this.
  7. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

OP, get out there and try as many as you can, simple as that. The new player series, some MiM if you can find them, even second hand American Standards. There is the newer American Professionals as you know, even though that may be outside your budget. If any of those don't rattle your bones, then a bespoke builder such as Mr Kirn will easily quench your hunger for that Tele sound!

8barlouie likes this.
  8. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

There’s a lefty Larrivee Bakersfield (tele type) currently on sale at Reverb for $850. I’ve read really good things about those.

This one’s listed in very good condition and has a single-piece ash body. If you’re looking for a blackguard, I’d go with that.

8barlouie likes this.
  9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

8barlouie,
    I have to agree with Lefty Addams above.

Take your time and play everything you can get your hands on.

My personal perspective also;
    If you have the money to buy the genuine Fender versus a Squier, go for the Fender.
    ;)

8barlouie likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Looking at the lower end of the market...

Rondo always seems to have a good selection of lefties. I've heard that their owner is left handed so that might be the reason why. The SX Tele copies are quite good out of the box and you can take them to the next level easily with new electronics and pickups.

Squier Teles are also pretty good although finding lefties with the specs you want can be tricky. In most cases, you'll find hardware upgrades easier on them than on non-Fender offerings.

G&L Tribute series ASAT is another one to consider but with it, you'll be getting into the same price range as a used MIM Standard.

8barlouie likes this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got an Affinity, and a Standard MIM. They both make really good music. The MIM electronics are more controllable, and the MIM tone is more to my liking. The Affinity is much brighter, sometimes too bright, and the neck is a little faster for me. I've not upgraded either one, although I plan to replace the caps in the Affinity to make it more controllable. I use both, favoring the MIM.

Note on the Affinity: I'd never had bought it, spooked by the low entry level price, except I had some MF gift cards, and decided to go for it. Very glad I did, these are not toys.

chemobrain and 8barlouie like this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Well, just realized I didn't help answer the OP's question. I'd look at both, and if they are equal-ish in tone and feel, I'm going to lean towards the Player series, with the new pickups, and steel saddles. In Buh-lack please...

8barlouie likes this.
  13. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

There’s a lefty Larrivee Bakersfield (tele type) currently on sale at Reverb for $850. I’ve read good things about those.

This one’s listed as mint condition and has a single-piece ash body. If you’re looking for a blackguard, is go with that.

8barlouie likes this.
  14. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As an owner of both Squier and MIM Tele's, they both sound great. However, as a general rule Squier brand instruments are more likely to need some pro-level set up work. Mine required a nut filing, fret leveling, and a neck shim to get it in spec. I have a good friend who did the work for me, so no cost to me.

8barlouie likes this.
  15. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Used Baja can be really good decision. However i encourage you to try Player series. They are worth every penny, mine is absolutely fantastic.

8barlouie likes this.
  16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks, I forgot all about that.

17. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

I’m not sure why this posted twice, but it looks like I got your attention. ;)

8barlouie likes this.
  18. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Two cents from a fellow leftie. I have two teles a amazingn sounding Squier Classic Vibe (the one in my avatar) and a partscaster I assembled myself. The reason I put together my own guitar from parts is that we're really narrowed down to few options as lefties.
    After doing all the pros and cons thingings I decided to use a righty neck. Why? Because if you look at necks to buy there's tons of variations on righty necks. A lot of backshapes and a lot of depths different radiuses and a 21, 22 or 24 frets… and so on. Lefty necks are just …lefty. I wanted a really fat neck with 9,5 radius, maple fretboard, 21 frets and nitro finish. So I got one.
    Bottom line, partscaster is a good way to go for lefties. I love my Squier CV but the necks is just way too thin for me.

8barlouie likes this.
  19. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

Did somebody buy this guitar? I don't see it listed, although there are two on Reverb: $1250 and $1000.

I own a Lefty Bakersfield myself. It's a totally professional guitar, and it sounds fantastic. Duncan in the bridge and Duncan mini humbucker in the neck (powerful!). I don't like the contoured body, but I'd still consider buying another.

But given the OP's question, I would recommend the Fender Player series. I bought the White / Pau Ferro one. I have three more expensive telecasters, but I'm digging the Player at the moment (playing thru a Princeton RI).

As others have said, one would think that the MIM Stds would be dropping in price, but folks are trying to sell them on Reverb for WAY more $ than they maybe should.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  20. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

pretty ... people saying that they like lower buget guitars and that they are playing just fine is the instrument industries biggest secret.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.