Which JHS pedal ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by AndyPanda, Nov 26, 2019.

1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I've been watching/reading reviews of JHS pedals and I'm pretty interested in the Morning Glory, the Charlie Brown, Angry Charlie and the AT+ but I can only afford one and just can't decide which flavor to get.

I have a Boss compressor/sustainer and a Tube Screamer and a Klon(e). (and echo/reverb/chorus/tremolo). So it's a different flavor of distortion/OD I'm after.

I'm thinking the Charlie Brown, Angry Charlie and AT+ are variants of a common ancestor ... thinking I'd get the most versatility out of the AT+. thoughts/suggestions?
    I like the idea of bass/mid/treble with the Angry Charlie or Charlie Brown and wonder if I'd miss the Mid control on the AT+

How about the Morning Glory? Is it enough different from what I can get already with my TS and Klon?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I find the AT+ and Angry Charlie to be more of an “amp in a box” pedal to get you a kind of a JCM800-ish sound into a clean amp. At least the way I use them, your TS and Klon are more for juicing the front of the amp (or pedal), tightening things up, and bumping the mids. I wouldn’t think you’d really need what the Morning Glory does given what you already own.

What kind of sound are you going for? Genres? Guitar/amp? Do you usually use your amps gain channel or so you find it lacking in some way?

AndyPanda likes this.
  3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Several years ago, I was looking for a "transparent" OD (the term of the time). After many hours of
    listening to YouTube videos, I narrowed down to three....Timmy, BB Preamp and Morning Glory.
    I thought (going into trying all three) that I'd end up with the BB Preamp. After spending much time with
    my amp and Tele, I ended up with the Timmy and the Morning Glory a close second. I've thought of picking
    up a Morning Glory ever since, but the $199 price tag has put me off that thought (I'm Scotch-Irish....thrifty) :rolleyes:

AndyPanda and neilybob100 like this.
  4. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Worth considering the Angry Driver also for additional options if you are already considering the Angry Charlie.

Would also recommend a switcher to go with it to make best use of it. I use my gigrig to switch it between Angry and driver modes.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Fretting out and AndyPanda like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I owned a Morning Glory for several days - I was traded it, and traded it in turn. Nice pedal, but it was really basically the same as my Soul Food, which cost less than half as much. A drive pedal would have to be really, really special for me to spend 200 on it.

Rumblur, Tim T and AndyPanda like this.
  6. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

your money would be better spent on an Analogman KoT. or Analogman anything versus JHS.

7. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Keeley 1962x

Or

True North Tweed Drive

Both Baseman/JTM45 type amp in a box pedals, but have a very broad range of sounds and clipping, and can go from twang through rock to heavy.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    BBill64 and AndyPanda like this.
  8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

If I had to choose a JHS pedal, it would be the Muffuletta. If you're into fuzz, that one has ALL the fuzzi you would ever want.
    And Josh seems to be a pretty awesome guy, gotta love that. But I have to stick to my $60 budget and so I have a Big Muff nano.

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know about the angry Charlie but I have the boss angry driver and if the op is looking for a Marshall jcm 800 style overdrive the angry Charlie mode is perfect

It doesn’t hurt to have a blues driver on tap either

neilybob100 and AndyPanda like this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I like the Morning Glory quite a bit. I never used it like a TS or Klon and consider it distinct from those despite the comparisons people make.

I used the MG as a first stage drive with a Klon after it. The MG was set kind of scoopy/open, and the Klon was doing its boost thing.

Depends on what youre looking for, but I personally don’t consider those an overlap.

AndyPanda likes this.
  11. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Hoping Ms Santa Claus will bring me a JHS colour Box 2 for Xmas.

YMMV

AndyPanda likes this.
  12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i had an angry Charlie for a bit. it's a really cool pedal... but not the best in that sound. they're all kinda derived from the MI Audio crunchbox... which i think is a bit better. the suhr riot, another crunchbox cousin, is probably my favorite of the Marshall-in-a-box things. there's also the joyo US dream which is a clone of the riot.

the morning glory, however, is a bit more unique in what it does. it can do that softer TS/Klon thing... but has a better bite to it. of the pedals you mentioned, I'd start there

AndyPanda likes this.
  13. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

muffs are NOT the alpha and omega of fuzz, my friend. nor is Josh a high priest of fuzz. take a look around the DAM site and see the rich tapestry of fuzz textures out there.

D_Malone, AndyPanda and artdecade like this.
  14. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ahh. The different flavors of dirt pedals. My fav of those is the latest version of the morning glory. To me it really got better when they updated the circuit. But we are talking flavors of dirt which are as subjective as the hotness of ladies. Or who is better Superman or Batman?
    What I like may leave you cold.

AndyPanda and MilwMark like this.
  15. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I'd get this one...

or this one

AndyPanda likes this.
  16. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

The JHS's you mentioned are all Marshall flavored, is that the sound you are looking for?

Are you happy at all with your amp? Maybe you should save your money and buy an amp you like first?

If you just insist on getting a pedal, those are all viable for a 'hot" burn tone. Something raspy, grindy, Marshally.

Let me give you some advice... don't buy top tier pedals if you don't have any idea of what you want. Buy the cheap copies first and see if you like something in the ballpark. THEN when you find what you like, try the top tier stuff in that flavor. Chasing tone at $200 a pedal when you don't know is a huge waste of money. You could get 4-6 Mooer or Kokko style pedals for that money.

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Try a Bogner LaGrange, you get a clean boost as well as a wide array of Marshall style goodness.

AndyPanda likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A better question might be why JHS?

One generally seeks a sound, not a brand.
    Most JHS circuits are sold by other brands, might be better to decide you want a BB1 circuit then choose between the Morning Glory, Prince of Tone, Mooer Blues Crab etc etc.

Deciding to want a brand of pedal seems odd, do you have any particular sound in mind?

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I need a dirt pedal that sounds like a particular agenda and doubles as a misguided status symbol.

20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I built a Morning Glory pedal, it sounds great. I tend to cycle through that MG, a king of tone and a Timmy for my low-mid OD. Honestly, I think the Timmy is my favorite.

AndyPanda likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.