1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which jewel light has the best tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Big_Bend, May 30, 2013.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if i remember right, blue over red will be out of phase. most people prefer the red over blue for more harmonic overtones.

blue over red is pretty popular in traditional middle-eastern folk music though. could be a neat nuance to your playing style

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Traditional red plastic dome with a neon flickering behind it for me, none of these fancy new faceted jewel things.

3. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm wondering if I use the Plaid one, am I gonna have a cool drone beneath my playing?

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I'm wondering if I use the Plaid one, am I gonna have a cool drone beneath my playing?
    The light being haggis shaped you would certainly get the drone, but please don't, you would lose all your audience. Except for those with no musical taste.:twisted:

5. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Lol! I can't believe this thread exists!

6. Scooby Snax

You have to, because you posted in it.

7. hecubus

hecubus Tele-Meister

I wire all my amps to bypass the jewel light. The improvements in tone are obvious. No longer does the light emiting diode color my tone. I may install a switch to put it back in the circuit for those times when I need a sloppy inarticulate tone.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What would I need to set up the jewel light as a sort of tele-prompter?

the lyrics would be in Morse code. verse in red, chorus in blue.
    any suggestions?
    thanks

9. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

Can't believe this, 7 pages..........
    It's total BS, people! Jewel lights have nothing to do with tone!

However, when I changed my cab's chrome corner protectors to black Chinese plastic ones, it was like a blanket had been lifted from my amp. Haunting mids a-plenty, Voxy chime, bloom and chirp galore, massive OD tones, so much mojo.
    So get working on your cab corners.

10. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I always re bias with each color change.

11. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Yup, I found this out the hard way.

I've also discovered that a vintage Fender leather handle warms up your amp - really tames the highs.

Try it!

12. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Valuable information as well.

13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have red, blue, amber, and purple. The best sounding has to be my new green one.
    It's amazing.

14. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

The jewel light on my Frontman 212R measures 15 mm diameter whereas the plain diode on my Frontman 25R is 5 mm diameter. The FM212R is rated at 100 watts and the FM25R is rated at 25 watts. The diameter of the 212 light is three times the diameter of the 25 light. Therefore because 5 mm diameter equals 25 watts the light on the 212 is made up of three lots of 25 (75 watts), 25 watts per 5 mm diameter, plus another 25 watts. As the main difference between the two lights, apart from the diameter is that the 25 light is plain and the 212 jeweled, jeweling must contribute 25 watts or a quarter of the total power output.
    Thus, if you wish to increase the power output of your amplifier and the original light is plain substitute a jeweled light. Similarly if your amp is too loud make the change the other way, change jewel to plain. A further stage in this theory would be to reduce or increase the lights diameter as appropriate.

15. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I just put down my deposit and got on the waiting list of a well known boutique maker of custom jewell lights made out of....give up? Real jewells!
    I'm getting Ruby, my Birthstone...

16. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

NOS jewel light or Russian import?

17. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I think I've already chirped in here.....
    I've noticed lately that if I use NOS tubes, a red pilot light has a sheen unseen by any other color.But when I use new glass (no matter the hype), I have to have a blue light......I think it shields the vintage tone from unforseen upper mid bumps and making my RI amp sound like a.....well, RI amp.

18. JAnderson

JAnderson TDPRI Member

Dude, I guarantee if you A/B a NOS vs a Russian import back to back with a blind test, you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm sick of all this elitism regarding jewel lights, like they all have to be vintage made in USA or they're garbage. Here's the brutal truth, even the modern vintage jewel light modelers sound pretty damn close to the originals, and if you're on stage, no one will be able to tell the difference between that vintage tweed red jewel light, and a new made in china red jewel light. Stop pretending that jewel lights are better just because they're older.

19. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

You can always try a jewel light attenuator if you feel they're sucking tone electrons from the tubes.
    What I can't stand are relic'd jewels because they look so fake. I prefer my jewels to wear and relic naturally with my playing, so I buy those that come with that special finish that they charge us a lot more for, I'm all for authenticity you know.

20. Scooby Snax

I wonder if Gil would be into making a pre-CBS jewel for a DRRI I'm Jones-ing for. I bet he he could relic one with more mojo than an actual one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.