1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which jewel light has the best tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Big_Bend, May 30, 2013.

1. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

I used to favor blue, but I'm back to red. I think the Red are much warmer in tone.

2. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

After years of chasing pilot light jewel tone, I've found blue to be best for my SF amps, and green is good in a tweed Champ circuit.............

However, I recently got a 5E3 clone from muchxs that has the coolest ice-blue pilot light that sounds fantastic. I only plug that amp into a mid-50's brown receptacle I salvaged from my camp remodeling project in order to power it with vintage electrons and the combination is just amazing!

3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Red is the best. Love that Red Light.

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Keith and Suave Eddie,
    I see your excitement about replacing and upgrading your bulb, but you may have problems with Canadian Laws prohibiting the importation of both the RCA incandescent bulbs and the Belgium glass. I remember a few years ago some buds from Halifax asked me to bring them powdered sugar from the states, apparently our is finer quality, I stored it just like they advised, in zip lock baggies on the dash. I never saw so much excitement by your border folks.
    Maybe have the glass sent and labeled as "sample" pieces and the incandescent bulb historical artifacts.

5. Tele-writer

Tele-writer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Tibetan Tone-Monks helped me mod a Mood Ring into an amp jewel. It is powered by the Galactic Pulse. So far, it hasn't exhibited the same hue twice, mostly due to barometric pressure variables. I think that when I open my last can of vintage 'lectrons I will be able to relic the K, L, and N shells and that will give me that last iota of mojo I've been seeking.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Frankly this thing got annoying two pages ago.

It's the same deal as hot rod tail lights. "Back in the day" we had a lotta factories in the U.S. that made a lotta stuff. '30s and '40s automobiles had beautiful ruby glass tail lights. I have a whole stash of '39 Ford lenses on my kitchen table. Some are original Ford, some are period correct aftermarket. They're on permanent display with a pressed tin "U.S. Zone Germany" wind up toy clown on a mule.

Somewhere between then and now we've lost the technology to make glass with the color density of the old stuff. How hard can it be? Budweiser comes in cobablt blue bottles. Give us amp jewels with dense color. Stick an old Drake or Dial jewel in an amp next to one with a repro the difference is blatantly obvious. Doesn't really matter what color. The new jewels look washed out compared ot the old ones. The new ones are have a shiny chrome bezel while the old ones are usually nicely aged nickel.

It's not Tibetan Mojo Mumbo-Jumbo. It's freakin American Industrial Heritage, baby! That's our heritage. Show some respect. Show some pride.

If a black guard Tele is worth

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

and '59 Les Paul pickup rings are worth ten grand each

or even stupid spent "bumblebee" capacitors at twenty bucks each

then the original pilot light assemblies and jewels must carry some value.

I guess it's a difference of philosophy. Craftsmen like myself sweat the details. I believe musicians should sweat the details, too. If you bend a note bend it to pitch. If you're playin' rhythm don't punctuate the cadence with a rat's nest fulla finger squeaks. Show some pride. Be a craftsman.

7. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Hot pink is the only way to go boys (and girls if any are here).

8. muchxs

That's called "red". It washes out to hot pink when it lights up. The old ones don't do that.

Nasty negative thread. Stop, already.

9. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Paisley.

10. SaltyStrings

SaltyStrings Tele-Meister

I bought a mod kit off the interwebosphere for $50 (free shipping!) which promised to change my modern light to perfectly match the true, vintage, super-saturated-color lights made long ago when men were men and everything was better.

The kit was designed by a guy who has a degree in color engineering. He used to work in aerospace, but says helping musicians find their color-tone is his true love, and that while he doesn't make any money at it, it's his calling. Both he and others go on forums and say he is the provider of mojo for many of the great musicians - though many of the names they mention I've obviously been too sheltered and uncool to have heard of. He has images and youtube clips of their set-ups on his web site, and you can clearly see how much richer and more vibrant their lights are than my stock junk.

The kit arrived, and I followed the instructions. Wow, what a difference! I mean, it's subtle, but it's definitely more vintage. It's like: If you don't notice it, you're probably not a very good musician - know what I mean? It's just more... There!

And get this: My Wife said she didn't want to offend me, but that she was pretty sure the kit was just a red sharpie with the name scraped off.

She's so uncool, non-vintage, and toneless! If she wasn't the one with the job, I don't think I'd put up with her!

11. muchxs

Listen up:

Art is about getting the aesthetic right. You'll find that art runs the spectrum from music and dance, culinary art, visual art, sculpture, film, video, literature, theater...

If the aesthetic isn't right it plays as cheesy and half-assed.

If you disrespect any art you disrespect all art.

If you think art is unimportant I suggest you try a year of shift work in a bland windowless factory.

Reciprocity is such that you do as you expect to be done. But then I see you're from SF. Never mind! :rolleyes:

12. Dave

Dave Tele-Meister

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Amp Tech Center forum? Maybe someone over there knows the answer.

13. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

5 pages of this...............I love it !

14. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

I made my own from a marble I picked off the bottom of my aquarium. It's got a Grateful Dead look and it's totally MY sound.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Green. Green means GO!

16. Fatknuckle

Fatknuckle Tele-Holic

Green, amber, blue, red, purple, white....interchangeable....like clean underwear...

17. SaltyStrings

SaltyStrings Tele-Meister

Or dirty underwear if you're going for the brown sound...

18. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

As Lowell George famously said... "you folks are crazy"

19. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

You need to get a pre-CBS red jewel. Much warmer with beautiful compression. They are expensive but worth it. :)

20. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I think this is one of my favorite threads on the internet ever. And ive been here since before the http protocol and web pages were invented!

Someone needs to start one at TGP and see how many folks we can piss off! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.