Which is the real spring reverb?

Which?

• Total voters

J-Flanders

Tele-Meister
I voted #4. All I heard was hissssssssssssssssssssssss. Maybe there was some reverb in the background. Hard to tell. Maybe it was the sea. Dunno. :)
There's no point comparing (spring) reverbs if the mix is at 1 or 2. All reverbs sound the same then.
Spring is for surf, drip, splash, so, please, make it wet, let it rip and play surf...

Last edited:

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
I voted #1....# 3 was off IMO...sounded like there was some other FX going on...2 was close, but there was something different as the clip went on...sounded digital...of course I could be way off.

Last edited:

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
With the slapback delay that all three had at least for the intro, it was hard for me to get a good feel of what might have been going on reverb-wise.

Other than that, the first one also sounded like there was some kind of modulation/chorus, so I'm guessing #1 was non-spring.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
I didn't read any of the comments to see if I'm wrong, buuut...

The 'realest' sounding is #2. There's a hint of a high-feedback slapback to mimic a drip on #1. There's an even louder slap on #3 with some pre-delay going on, completely 'fake', non-spring 'drip'.

That said, #2 didn't really drip either. Doesn't mean it's not real, it's just not your average 6G15 circuit set with dwell and mix set past '5'.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
There was no digital spring reverb emulation.

1. Here I was monkeying around with an AA Audio APE-5. Normal setting, no modulation. I think it's the same as the APE-3 that Tom has in his line, but that one has a different enclosure.
4981071MoIkMl70.jpg

2. This was indeed the spring reverb, Tube Town. Short tank, 3 spring. The tone was even lower than in the photo, because otherwise it would have been much brighter than the other two and a dead giveaway. Other controls maxxed.
rev1-jpg.798504

3. Donner Echo Square, digital mode. Later considered that the modulation mode might have been better, and maybe lower the feedback. I really like this unit, reminds me of the Realistic Reverb, which was my first reverb.
4_7eaf19a8-7b1f-4eba-83c6-eca8b2e0a58e_1400x.jpg

Last edited:

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Pretty cool delays, I might give em a try :)
The Donner has a pretty cool reverse delay. You can dial out the input signal by putting the mix all the way to the right so you just get backwards delay that sounds like flipping a tape backwards.

Also when you move the time knob in real time in all the modes, it sounds like it does on a BBD unit.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I wanted to make excuses for why my guess about number 2 might be wrong, like I was listening to it on my low quality chromebook with very low output speakers put right up to ear, but that would've been making excuses. But, I did guess number 2 using my low quality $99 chromebook with very low output speakers put right up to my ear. I used my right ear because I have more hearing loss in my left.

And I still got it right.

Because most digital effects still sound like trash even with all the "advances". At least, that's what I get to claim while I pat myself on the back for getting it right. That said, I own a digital reverb, a Meris M7 and it is pretty good, mostly for clean tone reverb but I still have more exploring to do.