Which?

• Total voters

middy

Friend of Leo's
Trick question. The answer is nun.
giphy.gif

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i will probably be wrong so i'm not voting, haha. some emulations get the vintage tube unit drip very right, and some real spring tanks that are small have zero drip and are very dull and lifeless.

but i don't think it matters to be honest, whatever sounds good, sounds good. there is no one spring tone - different size spring tanks, springs losing tension, difference in amp designs, the way it was recorded...it's all over the place.

the advantage of a real spring reverb is that building one yourself that sounds good is just easier and more accessible to the player, and it's a good enough use for a spare tube in a chassis/room in a cabinet. knowing that the thing in front of you is really doing the thing (or smacking the tank, haha) is a cool bonus, but not something to pay a premium for. otherwise the best emulation does the trick.

as far as being available to the DIYer, i don't think belton bricks or default spin chip stuff sound particularly amazing compared to something well engineered like a strymon pedal. but barring a high end solution, fortunately using convolution verbs in VST form is cheap/easy/flexible and more than sufficient. and if you need it in pedal form for live, luckily nowadays it is easy to do decent convolution in an affordable pedal...so you just have to pick the one that sounds best to you.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I picked #1, for no real reason, other than I thought it sounded 'wetter', cooler!

-i will say I own both amps with real Spring Reverb, and a cheap Biyang Tri-Reverb pedal, with an amazing Spring Reverb setting ( with adjustable controls to tweak)
Digital is pretty remarkable, IMO

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Picked #2, subtle(ish), felt most like a part of the amp.
#1 sounded good too
#3 pointy and extravagant

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Certainly not 3, just sounds like a short delay with feedback to me.

The best source material to compare reverbs is either heavily muted staccato picking or a click or a snare hit, otherwise important details are obscured by the sustain of the note.

I mostly listen for the "pwip" or "drip" as most people call it. I didn't hear a lot of it in either 1 or 2, so I'm not sure.

Oh, did I mention my hearing sucks? So no matter what I say, that's my get out of jail free card.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I picked the 2nd one - it seemed to respond the most like a real spring reverb...but maybe its a great emulation...

Is it real, or is it Memorex?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Sounds like #2...and [Dom Irrera voice] "I don' mean'at inna BAD way..."

I'll need to hear a foot used here 🤣

CRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAASHHHHHHHHHHHH!

jddub440

Tele-Holic
I vote they are all digital recreations, especially the 3rd one sounds super artificial like the J.Rockett Boing turned nearly all the way up.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I voted “Trick Question” and say all 3 clips were made using real spring reverb tanks as external devices (simply because no one else has called that yet) :p

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I have a Fender Deluxe 85 with spring reverb.
I then bought a Marshall Reflector RF-1 reverb pedal for my non-reverb amps, and
within 2 minutes had dialled in the exact same reverb as the amp.
So...it's hard to tell.