Which iPad?

WrayGun

Friend of Leo's
Which iPad model will get me started with a real basic recording setup? Just using GarageBand to record guitar tracks, mostly. Maybe a channel for a microphone/vocals.

I used to have a MacBook Pro, and it was dandy, but as Buddy Guy would say, it done got old. Won’t run current software anymore.

So, I am thinking of a basic iPad, but not sure what connectors I will need to work with a basic 2-channel interface. USB-C? Lightning connector?

Needless to say, money is (always) an issue.

So help an old timer out, and give me an idea of what will get me going. I appreciate your thoughts! Peace,

Dave

TCA117

Tele-Meister
An iPad Air - $599 plus Apogee One for iPad $149 will allow you to record to the iPad.

There’s an iPad Pro for $799 but some reviewers say the air is a better processor.
You might be able to get another interface, but I find Apogee products work best with Mac

1guy

Tele-Meister
I literally just downloaded GarageBand app yesterday..I thought it was mostly for recording, but my son, who also plays guitar, informed me he uses it quite a bit, without using it to record.

I also have an old ipad, and finally upgraded to a refurbed iPad Pro, several months ago. I got the 12" iPad, because I mostly use it for drawing.

I think I got it on Groupon for under $400. A new one would've been outta my price range.

So far, NO problems with it, and if you didn't know it wasn't new, you'd never suspect it....almost perfect condition.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Lightning connector?
I believe you are right.

I use this one instead (USB-C)
A26AB18A-CB4A-4CAD-9B75-0A5B0DD262D0_1_201_a.jpeg

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I just use GarageBand with an interface and honestly it does everything (and probably more) than I need. I make demos for the rest of the band with it and wouldn’t be embarrassed to share them with the public either.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I use a 2017 iPad pro multi tracking with Cubasis and an XR18 as the interface and it's more than enough. Any newish model should be good really. I maxed out the storage on mine (512GB at the time), but haven't even really touched its capacity with numerous multi track songs on board.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a somewhat older iPad Air 2 (at least I think that's what it is) running Auria Pro with an Audient ID4 interface. Loads of power for what I do.

If you're going to go nuts on plugins, soft synths, etc., maybe you'll notice some barriers. But I haven't found any yet (other than the model I use for recording is too old to use modern versions of iOS and hence a lot of the newer software).

I've even used an old iPod Touch 5th gen running iOS 9.3.5 (the highest it will go) as the brain of a sampler rig with a midi controller.

I have a new iPad Pro M1 that I use for other more intensive things (trying to get into movie editing for giggles), and I've tried some of the audio stuff. The only wrinkle there is updating to iOS 15 the other night and lost some stability with a few things.

Long story short, any newer iPad should be plenty powerful for a lot of audio stuff.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I bought my first iPad/tablet for personal use 3 weeks ago. I got the large iPad Pro model. I really like it. I have messed a little with Garage Band, but all my previous efforts are on a different machine in Studio 1, so I can't comment on that aspect. Previously, my work iPad is strictly for device control, such as digital mixers & video switchers.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought the cheapest one available a couple of years ago. It runs garageband just fine and other music stuff, too. I don't know if you would get any more functionality with a fancier Ipad, I kind of doubt it. Once you talk about spending 6 or 800 dollars, just get a PC and an interface, you can do anything with it.

matrix

Tele-Holic
I can't comment on recording (I do all mine from a desktop setup), but my older eyes really appreciate the extra real estate on on iPad pro.

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
I use the cheap iRig2 interface on my iPad Pro 10.5” with garage band and it sounds just as good as through a desktop with the Focusrite or older Steinberg. This is the previous iPad Pro model which you can pick up used for $3-400 and probably any interface you have on hand will work. $30-50 for adapter cables.

Last edited:

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I bought my first iPad/tablet for personal use 3 weeks ago. I got the large iPad Pro model. I really like it. I have messed a little with Garage Band, but all my previous efforts are on a different machine in Studio 1, so I can't comment on that aspect. Previously, my work iPad is strictly for device control, such as digital mixers & video switchers.
You might like AUM. A digital mixer within the iPad for sharing different inputs/outputs from/to nearly every iOS audio app I've tried as well as hardware inputs/outputs. Extremely flexible and powerful. I know a couple of people who use it extensively.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I just picked up an Ipad 4 Air. The 256GB with cell runs $900+

Plan on recording to Garage Band through a Focusrite Scarlette 2i2.

Got 10 years out if my Ipad 2. Still works, but not compatable/upgradable to work with newer browsers.