Which headstock shape do you prefer? Tele or Strat?

Which headstock shape do you prefer?

• Tele headstock

Votes: 126 66.7%
  • Strat headstock

Votes: 63 33.3%

• Total voters

bladeswitcher

TDPRI Member
i think a tele headstock looks very very cool on a strat. but it has to be a maple fretboard.

I guess you won't like this one then (Mexican Robert Cray hardtail body with Mexican tele neck)

PLQ4IM2.jpg

61fury

Friend of Leo's
I love the Tele headstock, there's something about that squiggly Tele headstock I find very original and economical. There's little wasted space.
At least in shape there is no Bigsby influence there; unlike the Strat, and it wasn't until the big headstock version that the Bigsby ripoff became blatant. Unless you count the Jazzmaster

Last edited:

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I recently watched a YouTube video in which the guy mentioned (if I understood correctly) that he didn't like the Tele headstock and much more preferred the Strat head, even if he actually preferred the Tele of the Strat. Something along those lines...

As a Tele lover I was surprised to hear that.

Now I am wondering what percentage of people prefer one over the other.

So, let me be clear on the rules. We all know the 70's Strat headstock is much bigger, etc... The variations don't count. The question is just about the general shape, regardless of what logo version is on it, what size version and even what kind of guitar it is on.

I like both but I voted Strat. I prefer a Strat headstock on a Strat and Tele headstock on a Tele.

There have been many times I've put a Strat neck on a Tele and it looks fine. Whenever I see the other way around I don't like it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I vote both too ... even though there isn't a "both" selection.:rolleyes: They were classic designs for each guitar and should remain that way. The large strat head sucks though ... IMO.

Telecasterless

Friend of Leo's
I've always disliked the Strat headstock. It looks dorky, like some 16th century treble clef. It looks like something off an old violin, it doesn't belong on a 20th century electric guitar. It's clunky looking and unsexy. Do you need to know any more?

By contrast the Tele headstock is gracefully petite, not obnoxiously overbearing and old-fashioned.

I'll stop there. You asked. Don't take it personally. Sorry Leo.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
The Tele headstock, just like the Tele body, is butt ugly. That's why Freddie Tavares designed the sleek and sexy Strat body and headstock, and the world will never be the same for it.
I love the sound of Strats and Teles, but I MUCH prefer the look of Strats.
And, don't get me started on BSB blackguards, a color that never even existed!

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
I love my tele and it looks great as it is, but the strat is just a better looking instrument in every way.