Which hangers are better for the Tele headstock?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemnemonics, Dec 12, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I have both

The first one. You can strech it to a thinner gap if you want

telemnemonics and SecretSquirrel like this.
  3. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Hercules are the only ones i trust quite honestly.

4. IndyTeleGuy

IndyTeleGuy Tele-Meister

Ditto....I had an off-brand import one that looked like a Hercules...but when the plastic snapped one night and I heard my Am. Special Strat hit the floor, I was PI$$ED off for sure, and immediately ordered the swivel Hercules ones. They swivel enough to compensate for the Tele headstock.

AAT65 and telemnemonics like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, I can't use any "hanger".....I have a d'Addario Mini tuner on all my guitars, behind the headstock, just behind the nut. Hangers interfere with those....I have to use stands.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+2 Yup. Don't screw around with something that can drop your guitar crashing to the floor.

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

i have all string swings... for my teles and other thinner headstocks I just bent the bars inward. I often wonder how many guitar one can mount to studs before you have to worry about the load that wall is bearing! Hope to know someday!

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

A friend gave me a couple of these.
    String swing, they're solid steel fork with a bolt through the wooden wall mount. IMG_20191212_140310815.jpg IMG_20191212_140336695.jpg

stormsedge and telemnemonics like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The hanger will break long before the wall comes down. 2x4 stud construction is incredibly robust.

If you have steel studs, take extraordinary measures to drill the proper size hole for your mounting screws, and do not over-drive the screws into the steel and strip out the holes. If you do, gee-tar fall down go boom.

Even with steel studs it's good practice to use steel expanding hollow wall anchors (called a "molly"). Make sure to take into account the thickness of the sheetrock (to size the length of the molly shank) as well as the thickness of the guitar hanger itself (to allow for enough screw length). This is a molly:
    [​IMG]

Ricky D. and telemnemonics like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Back in 2011, when I just had three teles (and three acoustics), my wife actually encouraged me to hang them on the wall in our living room. (She preferred that to them being on stands in the living room.) I bought the String Swing brand. A little later I got a couple of more, same brand.
    08-29-2011 - Logan Custom teles.jpg

Then almost two years ago, my collection had grown, and I decided to hang the rest of my guitars in the living room. So I bought some more hangers. But the store had the Hercules and not the String Swing brand. Since I was looking to buy 5 at once, they made me a deal on the Hercules brand for the price of the String Swing, so I got those. These all went on the opposite wall in the living room to the other 5, and are where my teles now "hang out" when not in use.
    Logan Custom teles wall in order.jpg

The Hercules hangers are certainly well constructed and have a great reputation, and they have those "fingers" that rotate to close around the neck/headstock once the weight of the guitar is in the yoke. But I've been using the String Swing brand for more than 8 years, and I've never had a problem. I'd trust either one.

BTW, I've since added more guitars to my collection, and I've pretty much run out of wall space in the living room. So two are usually out on guitar stands in my office/man cave, and three live in their cases when not in use.

ale.istotle and telemnemonics like this.
  12. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

String Swing. Tilt it to touch both sides of headstock.

upload_2019-12-12_15-5-1.png

Attached Files:

13. telemnemonics

Well durn it I don't wanna pay for security!
    The string swing brand gets closer to my target cheap price but I'ma holding out for cheap and good in the same package.

Maybe I should start with a smaller number of the mid priced string swing and see where I go from there?
    Or one string swing and a set of the more metal constructed cheapo's on ebay priced @ $2.00 each?
    Why is this so haaaarrrrd to decide?

My wife want to know what to buy me for Christmas, maybe I let her decide?

Hey @El Marin do you find those plastic ones you can bend narrower to be strong and hold up over time?
    They are priced the lowest, but as noted I don't want broken guitars...

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I use the same Hercules. Got them on a deal at GC. For a few $$ difference I didn't want to see any pf my guitars falling.

At the same time I tried the Hercules I also bought a single K&M for $10 and it seems fine, although I use it less. Meaning, the guitar that gets put there doesn't come down often.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/KM/Guitar-Wall-Mount-with-Individual-Swivel-Arms-1274115036806.gc

In addition to the Hercules spring action clamp, and a lock, the Hercules mounts with three screws which I think is important. On the back side of my (basement)wall I ran a 2x8(?) so the hanger screws aren't coming out anytime soon.

20180818_122256_HDR_crop_clr.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    telemnemonics and Ricky D. like this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use these. No plastic, steel fork, no rubber transfer to neck finish. Works good, as advertised.

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

String swings here. I bend the yoke arms in together a bit for Teles.

orangeblossom and telemnemonics like this.
  17. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

man I hate those things as they often leave a much bigger hole in the drywall... esp if you have to pull them out and they jam up.

Was mostly joking that someday I'd like to have enough guitars that it would make wall collapse a real possibility but... yes... GUITAR SAFETY FIRST!
    I typically hang 5 on a wall so... 5gtrs at lets say 8lbs ea(heavy!)... really only 40lbs so... I think I'll be ok! Plus... if they do break I get to build/buy more!!!

18. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

I attached two 6' lengths of stained oak board end-to-end and screwed them directly to the wall studs. It worked out to nine attachment points in total so they aren't going anywhere.

Then I attached eight String Swings directly to the boards, evenly spaced, without having to think about the stud locations anymore. If I had reduced the spacing, I could have put a couple more up there but right now there's a generous amount of room between guitars so I'm good with that.

ale.istotle likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

Thanks everyone for all the info, I informed Mrs Mnemonics and she took the hangers by the horns, finding a better price on string swingers at GC.
    But after she ordered they disclosed that the hangers would ship in January.
    Hurts her more than it hurts me to get gifts late, but we both want to organize our our living space and these were part of that hope.
    Might stop in at a GC and ask if they can work something out for Christmas...

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here is my fleet of starter black guitars on my hanger from five years ago. The hangers are hardware store rake and shovel screw in Y hangers. For the Tele you just twist the arm up.
    I have a wood grid now that holds seven guitars rotated in/out, with other colors. Still using these hangers on that grid. You do need to use cloth covers over the hangers if you mess with nitro guitars as the vinyl dip reacts with nitro.

Using a board you can mount them in any spacing. You can see the screws mounted to the wall studs. Don't try to use drywall to hold up your guitars, even if they are $50 rescue models you fixed up. Drywall will drop them.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.