Which Guitar Brand or Model Has the Ugliest Headstock? (No one offs, curiosities etc.)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Grandy, Jan 26, 2018.

1. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Vox - Way too much Dali and/or LSD
    Lindert - The guy thought it was so cool, he patented it. As if he needed to...
    Fender 12-string - Looks like a droopy sock
    Most Kay headstocks - looks like they dropped random shapes on the floor and traced the ones that didn't look like anything else.

Parker Fly rides the ragged edge in the middle. Too ugly to like it, too engineered to hate it.

Most anything else gets a pass, I don't even mind Suhrs and those '60s japanese "don't make it look too much like a Fender" headstocks.

Also, I absolutely love the CBS Strat headstocks. Don't ask why, cause I don't rightly know; I just do.

Bruxist likes this.
  2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

What kind of PUPS! are in that,Sorry had to ask!:D:)

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

How is it there are only two headstocks that people like?
    It would be interesting to see the development history of Gibson and Fender headstocks. True stories. I know the Fender Strat headstock was pulled from a less radical Bigsby style. Simplified and streamlined.

Industrial design is a very difficult task to get right, and too easy for executives or owners who have no real design skill to try to influence direction. But as an owner, how do you know your designer got it right?

Dean V, Parker, and the BC Rich are ones I'm not fond of. The D'Angelico one, look at how much effort in binding and inlay is put into that, I can admire the commitment there.

The Martin one is all about the logo on that squared off headstock. They are telling you simple and no change. I watched their leadership give a roll out of their new 2018 NAMM products and they are all about minor tweaks. They know their customers want the same guitar their grandfathers played. They are willing to touch the purfling or the shade of finish but they know their customers don't want major change, no innovation. That headstock fits their path and their customers continue to buy.

I can tell Leo was involved in the Tele headstock. A much narrower board is required for a Tele than for a Strat. And the Tele body shape fits one more guitar per eight foot board than some of the others. He was a marvel.

ReaL Madras and SweetClyde99 like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

s-l160012.jpg s-l1600.jpg

richiek65 likes this.
  5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I have a BCR Kerry King V that I love playing(once I got rid of the EMG HZs), but everytime I play it, I want to reach for a Sawzall and Hellboy the horns. lol

Those headstocks suck for an entirely different reason that hasn't been mentioned The horns like to grab stuff and knock stuff over. They get dinged up all the time also.

[​IMG]

Bruxist, acstorfer and Vladimir like this.
  6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I never cottoned to the Jackson headstock, or some of the pointy Carvin headstocks, for that matter.

7. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

This isn't so much ugly, as just plain silly. Why even have a headstock if there are no tuners on it. lol

[​IMG]

richiek65 and O- Fender like this.
  8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Bottle opener is my best guess??

[​IMG]

richiek65, Anode100 and DougM like this.
  9. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

PRS.

There doesn't seem 'enough' of it - and as a result it looks cramped and ill-planned.

...or the Gibson Moderne - that looks like a mixed bag of tuning issues from the start.

FWIW, I like the Tele headstock, the Fender XII, and the '70s Strat too.

10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll take the ugliest of those mentioned over a decapitated guitar. Just hate them. Although the body's pretty ugly on this one too. Looks like an amoeba.

image.jpg

Mr Green Genes and DaphneBlue like this.
  11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

That's really pretty.

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I've enjoyed this thread a lot, but I also like many of the stocks pictured, including the skinny Vox, D'Angelico, and 70s Strat. The Tele stock has grown on me over the years, but 15-year old me thought it looked tentative.

13. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I kinda like that, modern and original like the whole guitar.

DougM likes this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I believe it was both CBS/Fender and Music Man who objected to the original G&L shape.

Quick history - while Leo was a partner in Music Man he did the instruments under contract to the MM at his other company, CLF Research. So basically CLF Research was acting like say FujiGen did with Fender Japan. When he left the MM partnership in 1979 the partnership retained ownership of the instrument designs (StingRay bass and guitar; Sabre bass and guitar) but the MM partnership (now just Tom Walker and Forrest White) maintained the production contract with CLF Research to make the instruments.

Leo and George developed the G&L designs and launched them in 1980, producing them alongside the MMs at CLF Research. There was a lot of bad blood between Leo and MM, and not too long after the G&L line launched (within a year) the contract to produce MM instruments was terminated. At that time Leo "retired" the CLF Research name and the facility carried forward under the G&L name (he probably transferred all the CLF assets to his G&L company).

Cutlass wasn't a Leo name; they didn't apply that name until after Leo had split and formed G&L so I have to assume that Walker came up with it, probably after he and White had also parted company. He might have followed Leo's military convention or he might have been thinking of the sword or the boat.

Music Man applied the "Cutlass" name to the basses with graphite necks they made in 1983 (the "Cutlass I" was the StingRay bass and the "Cutlass II" was the Sabre bass). They never got beyond prototype with a Cutlass guitar (the photos I've seen are of a Sabre guitar with the graphite neck and a Kahler trem) before the company went bankrupt in 1984. Then EBMM revived the name and the shape (but with 3 single coils and a trem instead of 2 humbuckers and a fixed bridge).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    E5RSY likes this.
  15. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I had initially popped in to say "The PRS headstock looks like someone tried to cut off as much of a normal headstock as they could in a desperate attempt to "customize" their guitar, and went a bit too far."

Then I googled "PRS headstock Gumby", and was reminded that the original Gumby headstock was of course the Gibson Moderne. Yeah...

gibson moderne.jpg

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

The Gumby hesdstock IS ugly as sin, but in a charming sort of way. I actually think it goes well with the Moderne. Much better than the Offset V headstock used in some Moderne RIs.

[​IMG]

The Dillon "Deflated Gumby" certainly ups the ugly quota a bit. lol

[​IMG]

17. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

BBA9D1ED-D58A-48E1-8FB1-C2BE89A390EB.jpeg

That design might get a pass if that sharp bit is a bottle opener.

18. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a thumb hole on a fold out blade. A guitar you can use to install carpeting?

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  19. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Been thinking on it. Perhaps it's a folding Bayonet for rowdy crowds.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah agreed, always thought Vox Head stocks were horrible. They remind me of the “Wangcaster.”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.