Which Gibson Les Paul? 1st time buyer ...

Which LP

• Total voters

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Everybody has their own requirements, but for me it is the 1960's Standard. It's the only guitar in my collection that I have not had to do one thing to it. Plays awesome, sounds fantastic, a little heavy maybe but it was ready right out of the case. Beautiful workmanship I might add and a nice, flamed Bourbon Burst color.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
Consider the Traditional -series.
It's a Standard like they used to make them, not like the Homer-cars the Standards are now.

Pictured below: Modern Gibson Les Paul Standard.
8270.jpg
The post-2019 Standards are very close to what the Traditionals were. Less Homer-car more Canyonero.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Here are the Les Pauls I am considering. Main sell points are lighter weight, and P90 pickups. I read, "if ya want Gibson, get a Gibson!"
I also hear often, buy the most expensive instrument you can afford. My problem is, that which I desire most, is above what I can comfortable afford! So without unbalancing my finances, I have come down to these two choices:
1956 Les Paul Goldtop Ultra Light Aged - Double Gold
Not sure of the weight or
1956 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue - Double Gold
somewhere around 9 lbs? not finding a definitive answer on weights.
So which would be the better quality guitar? Play wise too.
Strictly MY opinion.
I have owned Four of them over the Decades, down to three.
I have serious sellers remorse about the one I sold.

Buy a Standard or, a DeLuxe.
Full Weight, no relief.
P-90's are fine but, they lack the sheer Brutality of a Humbucker. Pulling back on the Volume controls with the amp cranked can net some serious tone options.

Then, find an Amp that works with it.

Just my opinion.
Enjoy!

60Strat

TDPRI Member
I would buy a 2021 and beyond Standard…no weight relief and mine stays in tune…it’s a heavy beast but I mostly play sitting down

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I had the chance to see a Standard LP here in Vegas. Regular humbucklers. I wanted to feel, size it up as it would be similar. Felt good to play. Nice sounding too.

Gsweng

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Here ya go dude. There’s a 2013 Les Paul with P90s on Reverb for fairly cheap. Tribute I believe. Pretty good shape.

Valkyrie

TDPRI Member
You say reissue? They cost some coin. I have an R9 and R9. Both are spectacular guitars. I also have two Traditionals. They are pretty nice guitars also. I’m LP’d out for now. Really digging my Partscaster and genuine Fenders. But a gold top and P90s is tempting and a new USA model would fit nicely for that.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
I also hear often, buy the most expensive instrument you can afford.
Agree 100%. After hesitating for a couple of years I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's GoldTop recently and I am really happy I did. The guitar plays like a dream and it really inspires me to play every day.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity

I recommend Epiphone, PRS, Gretsch, Harley Benton, or Reverend.

Too much drama with Gibson ...

Or Eart

Ya know? After the time that has passed, I lost the desire.

Buying a very expensive guitar should be a long term process, not an impulse buy (I'm assuming you aren't a multi-millionaire). You need to find the right guitar for you. You don't want to be the guy who's selling a $5k guitar 6 months after buying it because "I just couldn't bond with it".

It also helps to always be looking for a great deal and to be ready to act on it when it appears. Don't pay full retail new or average used price if you can avoid it.

60Strat

TDPRI Member
I suggest a 2022 Les Paul Standard….mine stays in tune like no other Gibson I’ve played…Gibson has come back from the electronic headstock tuning device

Attachments

• 48988DC4-BB86-494E-A00A-D00ED17C50D5.jpeg
    48988DC4-BB86-494E-A00A-D00ED17C50D5.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 7

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
That piece of "wisdom" originated from salesmen. Whether you're shopping for a guitar, a car, a TV, or a table saw, you should buy the least expensive item that satisfies your needs and meets your criteria. Why would you spend more just because the money is in your pocket? It's foolish.

absolutely. but also there's so many opportunities out there that you will miss if you're just looking at the price tag as a measure of value. if i had bought "the best" single pup lam top archtop, i would have been looking at like es-175s from the 50s or 60s. instead i got a guild ce-100 from the 60s for a fraction of the price...build quality is just as good and play-wise it smokes any 175 i've played.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I listened to a Benton vs Standard LP on utube last nite. I heard very little difference. Very slight indeed. But quality is a big deal to me. So, today ...
I walked in the local GC to check on my upcoming lessons. Decided to speak to the Manager about the "in stock" R4 LP VOS notice I received. After about an hour, I walked out with a paid receipt! Seems the only was 1 left. That shipment had just gotten in a few days ago. This was a return. I got it less than Listed Price, out the door! Now awaiting shipment.
I honestly believed that costly model wouldn't sell quickly. Boy was I wrong.