Which Fuzzface mini to compliment my Spaghetti Western Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by deep, Jun 23, 2021.

1. deep

deep Tele-Meister

So I have the Spaghetti western Fuzz from bigfoot fx which is great. Its based around the old Mosrite Fuzzrite and companion Fuzz pedals of the past. I'm pretty new to Fuzzes in general and love my Spaghetti western fuzz, still in honeymoon phase. However I've been intrigued with the colorful mini fuzz faces and want to add one to my arsenal. I believe there are four different types. Germanium, Silicone, Hendrix etc...which is all greek to me. So which of these mini fuzz faces would be the most different in tone from my SW fuzz? So these two fuzzes would have quite a different tonal flavor from one another. Recommendations please! Thank you!

2. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Bumping this post one time...Anyone?

3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I like germanium fuzz faces best. I'm using the dunlop mini ge ff currently.

deep likes this.
  4. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I don't really know the fuzzrite sound, but I can tell you that the hendrix fuzz face has slighly less gain and a bit more mids than the others, the silicon has a bit more edge to it's fuzz than the germanium and the band of gypsys is modeled on the sound on that record if you want an idea of how it sounds, it has a distinctive upper edge that cuts well.

TwoBear, smuc and deep like this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No. Germanium and Silicon refer to the types of transistors, not to circuit typologies, although they sound very different.

Different types are the original Maestro, Tone Bender, Fuzz Face, Foxx, Big Muff, etc., which may sound different in different versions because of variations in the circuits. The Russian Big Muffs sound different from the US ones, for example.

The Fuzz Face, which is the "Jimi Hendrix" fuzz, is a version of the Tone Bender circuit, so there could be less types. Other fuzzes can be simplified or more complicated versions of the different circuits.

There are also a few IC versions, which use different circuits.

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/The_Tonebender_Timeline.html

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff_tone_differences.html

6. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Radiocaster, Thanks for this. So if you were in my place which one would you choose to compliment the one I have which is a clone of the Fuzzrite and Companion Fuzz ?

7. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

If it has to be a Dunlop mini FF, +1 for the Hendrix version.

deep likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not really sure. I have a whole lot of fuzzes, most sound bad, and the ones that sound good only sound good through certain amps/cabs with certain guitars. And mostly the ones that sound good don't sound great, just not bad. So I can't recommend anything.

deep likes this.
  9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

There are a couple Fulltone models, i’ve seen a red and a blue in a sort of hammertone paint. They may have had names like a 69 or 70, I think one might be advertised as Bc108 or 109 which refer to the transistors. I have played those in the store and I like them. I have Heard others speak well of them. I think they were in the hundred dollar range. If you have any thoughts at all towards making a pedal this would be the place to start, there are not a lot of parts, they are pretty easy to build, and there are tons of layouts, and full kits.

deep likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.