Which FMIC Teles came with the Twisted Tele pickup set?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Jul 11, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've thought about this before, but a thread started by @Owenmoney about the Twisted Tele set has made me curious.

About 7-8 years ago, a friend that was a long time Strat guy bought himself a Tele. (He and his sons had played my teles on several occasions, so I guess I wore him down. :twisted:)

I don't remember the specific model of Tele he bought, but he told me it had Twisted Tele pickups in it. Now it seems that every time I see a discussion here on TDPRI about Twisted Tele pickups, it's about the Twisted Tele neck pickup paired with a Broadcaster bridge. So I'm kinda wondering what Tele my friend bought, and whether it came with the actual Twisted Tele set or the TT neck paired with the Broadcaster bridge.

I haven't kept up with the many FMIC models of Teles over the years, nor their respective specs. I haven't played FMIC Teles much since 2008, when I bought my first Logan Custom tele. So like I said, I'm curious, and I don't keep up with the specs on the myriad number of Tele models out there. Anybody know which Fender Teles (if any) actually came stock with the Twisted Tele pickup set?

2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I think they came with the broadcaster bridge pickup, I saw somewhere in my searching that the twisted bridge pickup came about later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LGOberean likes this.
  3. LGOberean

Maybe I shoulda just asked you in your thread. :lol: I thought it was a slightly off topic there, given your focus was on the pickups themselves while my question had to do with which Fender Teles (if any) they came in stock.

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

if twisted tele pickups are the present flavor, Bootstrap makes the pretzel set. it's supposed to be a knock-off. they're very good.

Owenmoney and casey2910 like this.
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agree with @Owenmoney - unless there was something out of the Custom Shop Fender didn't use the Twisted Tele pickup set in any particular model, just the neck pickup paired with a Broadcaster bridge pickup.

And that Twisted Tele/Broadcaster combo was in the Baja 50s Tele, American Standards made between March 2012 and the end of the model in 2016, and is currently in the Vintera 50s Modified Tele.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've never heard of a Fender production guitar that was spec'd with the Twisted Tele set.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to ask a noob question, but what is FMIC?

LGOberean likes this.
  8. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

Fender Musical Instrument Company, I believe... bit like writing FMC and meaning Ford!

LGOberean likes this.
  9. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

is it? The neck is a Custom Shop Twisted Tele, but they describe the bridge as “Custom Shop vintage-style single-coil bridge pickup” - or is that marketing speak for broadcaster? Either way, I like the sound they make!

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

When the Baja was introduced in 2006, that was the pickup configuration installed. I did hear that the CS version of the Jeff Beck Tele (limited edition) also had those same pickups. It may be a little hard to find eother model now.

11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I had started a thread because I love the twisted tele neck and broadcasters in my two bajas, and they don’t sell the broadcasters anymore so the twisted tele set ,neck and bridge are very similar to the bajas so I bought them and put them in my one other tele, the twisted bridge pickup is a stronger pickup than the broadcaster. It has a 10k dc resistance and it twangs, barks, snarls and rocks. I love it. My bajas are still my favorites but these are great pickups for me. They do serious edge of breakup with ease. Just my opinion ymmv.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

They changed the marketing wording, Albert because they were coming out with the 70th anniversary broadcaster and they wanted to differentiate between the two so the could sell more broadcasters. The original bajas had custom shop designed broadcaster pickups, now they’re calling them the custom shop vintage style pickup

RobDaglish and LGOberean like this.
  13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Twisted Tele neck and Broadcaster bridge.

That said, it does seem odd that Fender didn't go with one of its existing Custom Shop pickup SETS. I don't recall this being done prior or since.

Is there a story here? :twisted:

LGOberean likes this.
  14. LGOberean

Yep, I was referring to Fender Musical Instrument Company. And I did also refer to "Fender Teles" in my OP, so I didn't think I was being unclear.

I routinely distinguish between the Fender brand (FMIC is just easier to type) and other brands of teles, as well as DIY tele builds and partscasters. I'm not trying to be contrary, or deny who holds the registered trademark. In principle, it's no different that what's been done in this discussion forum since before I was a member. Long ago, TDPRI settled the issue of what the term "tele" can refer to in our discussions here.

And so in an effort to be more precise in my writing, I often employ the brand specific acronym "FMIC." Actually, I more routinely make a more subtle distinction, as in Tele vs. tele. I did this in my OP, and in this comment as well.

RobDaglish likes this.
  15. LGOberean

It seems to be the consensus that the Twisted Tele pickup set has never come stock in a production model Tele. And according to @John C the Baja and the MiA Standard Teles of 2012-16 came with the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster pickup pairing.

If so, this explains which model my friend has. (t I assume he still has that Tele. He moved away several years ago, but bought the Tele before he left, around 2012-13.) I know he didn't have a Baja, because I wouldn't have missed the distinguishing switching features of that model. So I guess it was an American Standard.

16. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

FWIW my 2016 Custom Shop came with Twisted Tele pickups.

Owenmoney and LGOberean like this.
  17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

My 2016 Magnificent Seven Offset came with the Twisted Tele neck and the "vintage style" bridge pickup. The set sounds fantastic!

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

So, aside from Custom Shop builds, stock production Teles didn't come with the TT set? That's what I'm gathering here. And I'm not at all questioning whether the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster pairing or the TT set itself sound good. I liked what I heard and played in my friend's Tele. As I said at the outset, I was just curious as to what FMIC Teles, if any, came stock with the TT set.

Owenmoney and Coyoteaz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.