Which Fender/Vox tube amp?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by zammie, Sep 30, 2021.

1. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I am sure the SCXD and SCX2 are great sounding amps. If I was looking for a FIRST amp, I would choose this instead.

I do think anyone considering this amp to grab one quick because the way i read it, I do not think Fender is going to perpetuate the Vintage Modified amp line. The Mustangs are competitive products and with Fender putting their cards on the new Tonemasters it makes little sense (to me) for them to maintain the VM line. I'm happy to be wrong though!

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Cub 10 comes to life when it has been biased properly. Mine was biased so cold, rigor mortis had begun to set into the sound.

They sound pretty good through either the Celestion TEN-30 of the early models, or the H|H labelled speaker from later models. They sound better with a Jensen MOD speaker.
    They become quite awesome through an external cab.

The High/Low inputs aren't full/1W but rather they relate to the gain, or more accurately, they're for high output ( thus low gain ) or low output ( more gain ) pickups.

Have the schematic for clarity.

Great sounds to be had, but it's true. Not a looker.

Attached Files:

zammie likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, great to hear you made your choice, enjoy it.

zammie likes this.
  4. h34vy d1st0rt10n

h34vy d1st0rt10n TDPRI Member

In such cases try before buy Orange, Marshall, Laney. The solid state ones, with dual pedals like dual overdrive or boost into overdrive into SS amp.

5. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to tube amps - how does it sound when it is biased cold?

I can't read a schematic actually. But I guess the saving grace is having volume and gain pots to work with for home use.

6. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Thanks @h34vy d1st0rt10n. I already ordered the Cub 10. I gotta try one of those Orange amps one day. I played SS Marshalls in church for a couple of decades so that to me is 'the Marshall sound' lol

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The breakup isn't pleasant, quite 'spiky' to my ears. Lacking in warmth, depth and substance. 'Meh' cleans that lack piano timbre on the wound strings. Not necessarily bad.

Bias it properly, and may choirs of angels caress your ears. Perhaps not, but it becomes a real aural joy. The sound of the wound strings takes on a new dimension. I hear it more when tic-tac'ing a bass line with a pick and strumming a chord atop it. There's a new complexity there which is very engaging indeed.

Enough pretentious prattle.
    Biased properly = wonderful sound + reasonable power valve life.
    Biased too hot = ever so slightly more wonderful sound + short power valve life + possible smoke-letting elsewhere.
    Biased too cold = meh sound + longer power valve life.

In terms of valves, V1 -is- the money valve on these. A Sovtek/EHX 12AY7 gives a greater sweep to the gain knob and a great clean. Can still go bonkers with the gain dimed.
    The JJ 5751 is higher gain than the 12AY7, but less than the 12AX7. If it sounds good to begin with, and you enjoy playing it as it is, change nothing and buy strings with the money saved.

My favourite setting is simple. Gain 5, volume 7, tone maxed, drive it from the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.