Which Fender Mustang Amp is your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Shuster, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've clearing out my junk room so I can paint it and make it my gear room, and pulled out my old Mustang lll v2. That is one great sounding amp right there, made me wonder why I buried her!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I love my M1. Wish I had a M2 or 3.

suthol, Jim603, MrClint and 1 other person like this.
  3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I have an M3 V.2 . I tweaked/modified several of the factory presets and suceeded in getting some damn good tones out of it. Most of the factory presets (not the basic amp models) were useless to me.

mkdaws32 and Shuster like this.
  4. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

I have a II and a IIIv2.

Prefer the III, because of the on board display.

Though I sure don't need that many watts at home.

PCollen and Shuster like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I love my Mustang I. I got it for $50 to use as a headphone amp, and it is my main practice amp. I spent some time with the Fuse to create and load in some presets, but haven’t touched the software since. Great bang for the buck.

MrClint, RodeoTex and Shuster like this.
  6. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Mustang Floor and the SCX2 (Mustang with tubes)

Shuster likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Mustang 1 that's been sitting here since new pretty much unplayed. I can remember playing it when I first got it home and then just throwing it in my gear room.
    The next time I went to play through it the pots were intermittent due to a small amount of dust.
    I'll have to clean it up and try it again. I get frustrated with having to navigate much more than a few knobs to get up and running with amps and pedals etc.

Is the mk1,2,3 etc just the wattage or are they different versions of the amp?
    Mine is a small practice combo, think it's 20watts. I got it cheap on a instore sale because it reminded me of my little sidekick 10w I had when I was a kid but had to eventually trade for lessons.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    mkdaws32, boredguy6060 and Shuster like this.
  8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm like you, I played it off and on, then parked it never to be played again?
    I have to give her another go too, I never really scratched the surface of this amp?!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My new Mustang II was returned to a GC store in a few days for a Mustang III v1 with a bigger, more open sound. Dialed in for the tones I wanted, it was a surprisingly good amp. Good at living room volume and gigable in my estimation.

Shuster likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The differences in the Mustang 1 through 5 are the wattage and speaker size, and the 3, 4, and 5 have an LCD display while the 1 and 2 don't. There were V1 and V2 versions of all five, but the Mustang 1 V2 is the only one still made. The others were replaced by the Mustang GT series. But, I think the Mustang 1 V2's days are probably numbered too, since it's been increased to $129, and the Mustang LT25 is only $20 more at $149, and is better sounding IMO.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I used my III v2 a lot...until I picked up a DRRI. I haven't plugged the mustang back in since getting the DRRI but can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. Might be cool to plug it in and do some A-B'ing to see how the tones compare.

mkdaws32 and Shuster like this.
  12. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I'm really happy with my Mustang I v.2, it is one of the best values in my music room. The knobs are a little scratchy now when I turn them, but otherwise a great little amp.

Skydog1010 and Shuster like this.
  13. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Gave my M1 to my nephew when I upgraded to an M2v1. Loved it for six months. It doesn't get plugged in much anymore since I got a Vox VT40x, but I can't quite bring myself to sell it just yet.

Shuster likes this.
  14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I did the same thing with the same amp and I too just thought about digging it out and playing it some more. It’s a great little amp. With less than an hour and a half playing time on it.

Shuster and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

I just had a 20 min play though it. The 80's marshall setting is pretty wild for lead etc but I cant hear much of the high strings or note separation. With the gain down to 2-3 my high strings still sound muted or buried by gain. Might be because my strings are ready to be replaced. Everything sounded kinda muddy. The super sonic sounded ok as did the bassman for clean. Having to turn the fx knobs to disable pre set effects every time I change amp models is annoying.
    I'll have to spend some more time with it this time around before just throwing it back in the room.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

After you adjust a sound to your liking, then push the save button and it'll start flashing. Then choose that slot in the green or red bank, and push the save button again and your settings will all be saved in that location. You can edit an orange preset, but then to save your settings it'll only save to the red or green banks, 'cause the orange bank is factory presets that can't be overwritten.
    And, there are effects and amp models that you can't get from the amp by itself, but you can access them by hooking the amp up to your computer with a USB cable and running Fender's Fuse software.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Thanks, that sounds simple enough for me to work out.:)

18. John O

John O Tele-Meister

I've had M1/V1 since 2012. great little amp. quick and easy to plug/play.
    I replaced the original speaker with a WGS 8 incher and the difference in fidelity is significant.
    Now I use it for band practice because it holds its own, and we only play at moderate levels at prax in a relatively small room. I like the bassman and vox presets and it's very tweakable on the fly. I even use the single button FS to toggle between 2 favorite channels. Best $99 i ever spent.

Shuster likes this.
  19. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I have the I V2 and I really like it. The models sound very good to my ear, it gives me all the tones I need in one small convenient package. I can't complain for $99. I want to get a III V2 for the convenience of the LCD panel and the bigger speaker, though I don't need more watts as I only play at home nowadays...

Shuster likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I didn't get a III for the wattage, I got it for the tone. The 12" speaker in an open back cab produced sound with more dimension and presence in the room.

PCollen, Skydog1010 and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.