Which Fender Boss Reverb Pedal do I buy?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rglenna, Mar 29, 2015.

1. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

Hello!! I am trying to decide whether to buy the Fender/Boss 1963 verb pedal or the Fender/Boss 1965 pedal. Does anyone have experience with these? Which of the two should I buy? Any and all feedback appreciated.

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

i use a '63 in both (vintage style) country and blues bands. it has one trick.... but does it very well.

3. HC

HC Tele-Holic

The 1965 pedal is more of a Deluxe Reverb amp in a box pedal than a pure reverb pedal. Think of it more as an OD-pedal with a so-so reverb and tremolo built in. It will change your base sound a lot. If it's reverb you're after then get the 63 one. It's quite good.

4. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I have experience with both.

On the '65 Deluxe Reverb pedal, it's okay. It's supposed to do all the things a Deluxe Reverb amp does - reverb, vibrato, treble, bass and gain. It is passable but doesn't do anything really well...and the Vibrato on mine broke. 2 out of 5.

The FRV-1 '63 Reverb pedal is awesome. I have a '58 tweed Princeton, '65 Tremolux and a 1960 Gibson Lancer which are all killer amps but none have reverb. I didn't want a bunch of different reverbs in one pedal. I did want one pedal that did a great Fender spring reverb. That's exactly what I got in the FRV-1 and I couldn't be happier. Durable, too, no issues. 5 out or 5.

Hope that helps.

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

+1 to what everybody else said.

The FDR-1 ('65 Deluxe Reverb Pedal) is a Fender-flavored distortion pedal with tremolo and reverb built in (just like the amp). I have one. I like it for some uses. It's no good as a standalone reverb/trem pedal because you can't get a true clean out of it. As I said: it's a distortion pedal at heart.

It took me a while to figure this out. When I did I was happier with it.

6. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 63 and I love it.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The 63 is just a reverb. It's supposed to emulate a tank reverb unit. I was thinking it would be my choice... Then, I tried a Catalinbread Topanga and completely forgot the Fender/Boss pedal. Just sayin....

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, I agree with everything said above. The reviews of the Topanga are so consistently good, that is the first time I have ever considered replacing my FRV-1, but since I have not had the chance to try one, I'll wait until I have settled down into my new pedal board. I'm on a Catalinbread run, so the Topanga is on the radar. Can't imagine that it is better than the FRV-1, but converts are already out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.