Which Fender and why?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gringo13, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

"I'm looking for a small grab and go amp I can carry on the subway and up and down fifth floor walk up to use at quiet restaurant gigs, also to do double duty as a bedroom practice amp when the wife and kids are sleeping "

Easy!.......twin reverb!:)

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everything but the fifth floor walkup... It's on casters... bumpitty-bump bumpitty-bump. :lol:

3. MGibson

MGibson Tele-Meister

Try the Princeton through a 2 12 or 4 10 cabinet. Tightens up the bottom and gives you more volume. I use mine by itself for small clubs and through a 4 10 if I want to rock a big room.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If you are always mic'ed up at a gig and have your own monitor mix then size of amp does not matter. But most people do not have that luxury...

IMO, you should always buy the amp that provides the clean headroom you will need. You can get dirt with pedals, you cannot get clean with pedals.

Ira7 likes this.
  5. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Guys, I did intentionally leave this amp off. It was actually the last amp I owned. I came across a really tough month and needed cash for my family and sold it. Three days later, another source of income developed and I was sick for selling it because it truly is an amazing amp. I may end up getting another one, but I am really intrigued by the selling points of the other amps I mentioned earlier and had never compared them all side by side. Plus, a big part of me just wants to try something new this time around.

That said, I A/B'd the 68 CVR with the CTR and CDR today and they are all badass amps. More details upcoming.

6. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

This is a fair and well-presented observation. Thank you.

I have owned a tweed Champ, Bassman LTD, and 5G9 Tremolux build. I will always love the tweed tones and pine cabs shaking when the amp gets cooking. I would be interested in a Bassman at a good price, but I know I'll probably need to do some mods to it. That said, this is part of the reason the 68 series interests me. The thicker mids are available on one channel while still getting the blackface style cleans is almost like having two amps in live situations.

Although I certainly see your point, I didn't say I don't like those amps all that much. I can make the case that all of them are good for what I want. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had the 68 CVR and loved it. I was using my post as a way to present my case to see who all would chime in with a different or validating perspective.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I'll pile on: Twins are awesome, but heavy, a dilemma no matter how you slice it. I have a '75 DR and a 4 year old 68CDR; they sound very similar to me, the '68 is maybe a little smoother, where the old silverface is a little more aggressive, but the difference is subtle. I love them both, I think you can't go wrong with a DR. I have an EVM-12L in both, I like the way they go to eleven. Good luck with your decision making.

8. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Thank you for your input. I, too, have noticed that the CDR is smoother than most SFDR's, but I just figured that was mostly the Celestion speaker and bright cap differences. DR's are awesome for sure though. I'm really not as worried about the Twin being too heavy as I am it SOUNDING too heavy.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.