Which do you like Vintage or Modern Telecaster Bridges.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by viccortes285, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer the 3 saddle with the facets for compensation.
    6 saddles belong on a Strat.

IMG_0840.JPG

Mase and robt57 like this.
  2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Vintage style with Gotoh In-Tune brass saddles.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Otis Fine likes this.
  4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I honestly don't think I gave the modern Tele bridge any chance, I drank the vintage bridge cool aide early on here year and years ago.

I will say I am pretty sure I prefer the tone the thin flimsier vintage plate seems to have [my minds ear].

But I am sure I like the vintage 6 screw Strat trem over the modern two post version. Not sure why anymore, I decided it so long ago. ;)

Back to Tele, When I got to the AL/Brass/Brass saddle salad in my continued quest, I stopped and been repeating ever since. Tried about everything else there is prior including Titanium.

5. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

The only teles I've ever played (or owned) all had the vintage bridge, and I've only ever seen a modern bridge in a guitar center, and I wasn't curious enough to give it a try. Who knows? Maybe the modern one is far superior and I'd love it. I guess I'll get around to trying one some day. I will say that the modern ones just look wrong.

jb

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Modern, specifically Gotoh Modern, heavy and beefy.

I like the modern designs for their sleek smoothness, their looks, and the easy intonation adjustment.

“Period correctness” and being true to “Vintage” could not be less important to me.

Of my six Teles, all have modern bridges.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Crafty Fox likes this.
  7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I'm just starting the process of changing some components on my MIJ 70s R/I and moving from the factory-fitted 3-saddle bridge to a 6-saddle top-loader is one of the changes I've decided to make.

No particular reason other than my tutor has a Tele with the 6-saddle top-loader and I like the look of it and it seems to sustain better than mine and stay in tune better (which may be more to do with me being a ham-fisted oaf learner :rolleyes:)

8. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Is there a guitar that has had more bridge options than a Tele?

Brass barrels
    Brass barrels compensated
    Steel barrels smooth
    Steel barrels grooved
    Pressed steel Strat style in Tele mount
    Block saddles steel
    Block saddles chromed brass
    Pressed steel Strat hardtail
    Bigsby bridge saddles
    Top loader style with barrels
    Whatever used on Telecoustics!

Are there any others? Graphite or titanium saddles in special edition models?

sdd28772 likes this.
  9. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the Gotoh style bridge with 6 saddles. The side pull from the adjustment of the Fender 6 way really stinks. The Wilkinson looks like good compromise, but I avoided them because of the side pull of the saddle. Top loading bridges lose low end. It's not a subtle difference in my 4 decades of playing Telecasters.

Top loading bridges work great for the Fender basses as they tame some of the low end resonance. It's probably one reason Fender did the same with the Telecaster in the late 50's for a year or so. Fender and the players of the era must have noted the same phenomena as any cheapening of cost is a must for a large company. Any time Fender does top loading bridges for their guitars since the late 50's, it seems to have been for cheapening production costs. For example those early 80's last of Fullerton Elite & Standard models. The top loading vibrato bridge for the 82-84 Strat just stinks and those guitars all sounded thin to me at the time of their release.

I do keep one guitar with a 3 saddle bridge as it really is a Tele specific thing. I prefer steel saddles. Don't like what brass does for the sound(dulls it in my opinion, but get why others do prefer it for their saddles). Titanium is too thin sounding when used single coil equipped guitars. I wouldn't bother with graphite as I rarely break strings. I play about 1-2 hours everyday by habit. I haven't broken a string since last summer.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think it really matters much in terms of how the guitar sounds and plays, but I like the looks of the three saddle. I've owned both, but never swapped out JUST the bridge and done A/B blind testing on the resulting sounds. Confirmation bias explains the vast majority of "I swapped X for Y and it really improved the tone" posts. I would also say that based on my limited experience I don't see much reason to use the $100 dollar parts over the $30 parts as long as the cheaper stuff is made of out of hard-enough metal that the screws won't strip.

11. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Vintage 3 Brass Barrels. Swapped stock ones for Glendale Compensated Saddles.
    Now very good (not perfect ;)) intonation all over the fretboard and same cool vintage look.

Fender stock barrels are just weirdly made to get strings very close to height screws.
    Causing annoying sitar like sounds. Since it is their own original design... I don't know... somehow it's kind of pathetic... No ?

12. toomuch

toomuch Tele-Meister

I recently swapped in the Gotoh modern on my 72 Tele Custom. I had no tuning issues with the stock 3-saddle, but really just wanted some more resonance and a fresher look. I'm quite pleased with the results! This coupled with a Graph Tech Tusq XL nut has really improved it for the better, IMHO.

IMG_9480.jpg IMG_9479.jpg

An added bonus is it looks a little more "Keef" now:
    1974blackcustom_BEG.jpg

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

6 block modern bridge is what came on my Teles and I have found no reason to change them.
    Getting the guitars covered in real black white and tan fur cowhide and or hand tooled leather covered Tele the classic Loco Supremo Grande Numero Uno with the rattle snake and the peyote plants before a sunrise and circling vultures high above
    well there's always a need to be stylin'

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I have no fixation with a Tele needing to look any particular way, except "good" to my eyes, nor to it being "true" to some kind of vintage set-up or look.

Therefore, I just go with the modern bridge, which affords excellent adjustability, good looks, and well... what else do I need? Nothing.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Paul Jenkin likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Agree... I have a Gotoh modern on one of my Teles and it’s a great bridge!

16. bent-string

bent-string TDPRI Member

I have one of these, it's a modern with the classic three chrome saddles of course,
    which I changed to three brass compensated saddles.

P1060939.JPG

guitfiddles likes this.
  17. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Modern.

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer modern, but I like both, but it's horses for courses.

19. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I have a vintage setup partscaster, and an AmStnd Tele. The AmStnd is amazing for power chords and heavy riffs. The vintage style Tele is much more versatile, but does not get nearly as aggressive as the AmStnd. You really need one of each!!! An overwound bridge pickup in a modern bridge Tele, and a nice fuzz pedal is the best cure for any LP or SG G.A.S!

I used to have an '83 toploader. Wish I had kept it. But some forum convinced me that real Tele's must be string thru o_O.

20. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I like that type the best. The vintage type with the sides that stick up always get in my way.

bent-string likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.