Which do you like Vintage or Modern Telecaster Bridges.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by viccortes285, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I've already posted up in #2, but now I'd simply say this: I like vintage style, even without compensation. Which is to say, true vintage. I find it interesting that many of us (including myself) have often insisted on compensated saddles to get the intonation perfect. And sure, why not? Now that they've been invented, why not take advantage? However, I just got a set of the non-compensated brass ones for another Tele, and they intonate just fine.

Of course when Leo and Co. invented the Tele, the fact that the bridges could articulate front to back at all was an innovation. Check out this advertisement that was recently posted in another thread on the forum.

Top-left: "Micro-Adjustable Bridge: Beneath snap-on cover. Three longitudinal screws for adjusting string length for proper noting." (as an aside: someone would likely get fired these days for using the word "longitudinal" in U.S. ad copy)

telecaster1.jpg

3. Microwave

Microwave TDPRI Member

Vintage three barrels with compensated saddles for me. The modern bridge makes a lot of sense in many ways but for me a Telecaster loses a lot of it’s appeal without the traditional bridge.

Obsessed and RadioFM74 like this.
  4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I prefer the vintage bridge just because the new style ones look so lame.

AngelDeville likes this.
  5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Hmmm...vintage 3-barrel for me, not that I'm particular.

6. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

+1 I like the tone a little better with the vintage, but I like the better intonation with the modern, so it's a wash.....I love both!

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Vintage AND string through for me

Larmo63, Ira7 and mimmo like this.
  8. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Afflicted

Vintage with brass barrels, even took the Dremel to the back of the bridge so I could keep it when I added the Bigsby. I took off all the material except that which held the screws for the saddles, to allow the strings to get to the saddles unobstructed. In this case I was thinking compensated saddles might bind with the wound strings when using the trem, hence keeping the barrels.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I own Tele's with both styles and, honestly, after I'm playing for a few minutes, I don't even notice which one have in my hands.
    So, I guess that means that I have no preference.

Ira7 and Believer like this.
  10. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I don't have a preference for either. As long as the thing does its job I'm cool with it.

11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Vintage for six string, modern for five string open G

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I'm another that has both modern and vintage - string through. I like them both as long as the vintage bridge has compensated saddles. Why settle in this day and age with being out of tune in the upper register? Never tried a top loader.

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

modern tele bridges are for me what came with my guitars and they work really well. so well I'm not to change them.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have two Teles, and the bridges are about as different as it gets - boutique and bargain. One has a Glendale plate, string-through with compensated brass saddles. The other has a cheap looking six saddle top loader, steel saddles.

I've gotta tell you, there's no significant difference to me. I prefer the looks of the Glendale hardware, but I don't look at it while I'm playing. They sound a little different, of course. Different wood, different pickups, everything a little different, but they are both in that vintage sound orbit.

I think you could make that choice of top loader vs. string-through, or three saddle vs. six saddle on any basis you want without fear of being wrong. Playing with a band at stage volume, it just won't make a difference.

15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

As long as it plays smooth and stays in tune I don't care what style bridge is there

16. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

For some reason I seem to have an easier time palm muting the strings with a "modern" bridge like my MIM Tele has. Never can get my palm to rest the way I like it to feel on a vintage or Callaham-style bridge......

Jimmie

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmm, if the extra bend the string is forced to make going through the body is bad for sound, what are we going to do about those darn tone sucking tuner posts?

I like one big slot head height screw per string because they never slip out of adjustment, and no matter how rusty they get you can pretty much always turn them.

Allen screws are just a bad idea IMO unless the guitar owner is a neat freak who never sweats.

18. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

I definitely fall into the vintage camp. Not only do I prefer how they look, but I play better with them too. I need an anchor point for my picking hand, and on a Tele, that anchor point is the bottom side of the bridge. When I bought my tele I couldn't play it worth a damn until I swapped to a Wilkinson bridge. I also felt like the sound changed noticeably too, but that could very well be a placebo.

19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Vintage for me.
    The only modern bridge I could live with is the one installed on micawber: for whatever reason I seem to like it. A lot.

20. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've tried many styles, 6 saddle, vintage 3 saddle, bent for intonation, staggered high-points, top-loader, TOM setups with F spacing.

The string-break angle thing is an interesting theory, but I find the most important factor is the contour of the point where the string breaks-I'm philosophically opposed to roller-saddle-zither-tone. 6 saddles is very practical but maybe less-is-more tonally.

I guess I've settled on the vintage style, not brass, maybe not stainless and wilkinson style staggered saddles.

Someday soon I will write my unvarnished review of the Mastery tele bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.