Which do you like Vintage or Modern Telecaster Bridges.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by viccortes285, Apr 15, 2018.

1. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer top loader Bridges on my Tele. Due to it has no advantage to thru the body models. Maybe actually better. With thru the body we ha a extra bend in our string. Gibsons have Sustain and no holes or bend on strings. Your thoughts.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

So far I really like the vintage three-barrel style, but with compensation. I have never done a comparison of top-loaders and through-the-body Teles in terms of sustain/tone or whatever. And I'm sure I'd be surprised at the results of a controlled experiment.

At the moment, however, I have a hard time believing that a greater break of angle over the saddles (so long as the saddles are stable) isn't an advantage. Whenever I look at acoustic guitars and play them, I always check the break over the saddles. A good, steep angle makes a lot of difference with acoustics, in my opinion. I hate to see a tiny little saddle because somebody was trying to get the action low by lowering it. That's no good on an acoustic.

Now perhaps that isn't a good analogy to the through-body versus top-loader Teles, as top-loaders may still have a lot of break over the saddles. But with every guitar, I try to get the angle over the saddles as steep as possible within the range of good action.

viccortes285 likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I like the sound (and yes there is an obvious difference) and look of the vintage-type brass saddles, and have not had intonation problems with them. But if I were a professional, I'd probably go for the six modern type saddles.

Obelisk and Tonetele like this.
  4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think that since I chose 'modern' in your other thread, I'll choose 'vintage' this time.

5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Greater break puts more tension on the strings, less breaks makes it easier to bend strings, so it can be helpful with acoustics and sustain, it really depends on the player as to what’s best. It’s believed with a les Paul, wrap the strings over the stop bar and lowering it all the way to the body gives better sustain and easier bends.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I have Teles with both the original 3 piece bridge and the newer 6 piece bridge, both with string-through-body design. I have added compensated saddles to the 3 piece bridges so that I can get a little better intonation. I'm enjoying all of them.
    Sometime back I purchased a model with the top loading bridge ans was very disappointed with the lack of sustain. It was very noticeable to me, so I ended up letting it go.

Evil Funk and viccortes285 like this.
  7. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

modern

8. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

vintage,end of story

Chunkocaster, Larmo63 and Kreepy like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I've tried them all, and I have no problem with any of them.

nicod98, rooboo, stratoman1 and 4 others like this.
  10. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've always had vintage bridges on my Teles. But, I did build a parts caster using a Gotoh Modern 6-brass saddle bridge and I have to admit, it sounds great and sets-up better and easier than the vintage bridge.

Tonetele likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Why don't you post this question a THIRD time and see if the responses change any....?

Hexabuzz likes this.
  12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I'm sure someone will ask the same thing in a week. Be patient.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Point is, viccortes285 has TWO posts at this very moment on the same subject.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Oh, I noticed...

And still stand by my original comment...

15. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

My bad on the two post, can a Mod delete one.
    Remember Jimmy Page used a Tele in the Yardbirds and other groups all top loaders. I tried both and wound up using a Vintage for the sound I wanted.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    I currently have the strings wrapped over the stop bar on my Les Paul and, while I can't pinpoint exactly why, I somehow like it better this way, so it may be some sort of "feel" thing...

The same kind of thing goes with the Tele bridge. My 1996 Fender Standard Telecaster came with the top-loader bridge that I later modified to do both top and a thru-body string mounting.

I went back and forth a couple times but somehow preferred the thru-body one. Probably more of a preference thing than something more tangible, but now, since I went with a non-top loader Am Std bridge (for an entirely different reason) I'm definitely not going back to the top-loader design any time soon...

'

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    LiteAsh likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The difference between a Topload vintage plate T type and the through hole vintage plate T type, is almost entirely the feel, and not the sound others hear.

Electric guitars are not even supposed to be about sustain - sustain is often detrimental to getting the sounds I'm looking for and the Gibson I have right now doesn't have much of it and I'm happy for that. Besides, the difference in the Gibson design is different for 20 reasons from the T type that have nothing to do with the bridge design.

I don't understand why we're conflating Modern bridges vs. Vintage bridges with Toploader versus Through strung. I think one might learn more discussing one at a time. Can we just pick one subject and figure that one out?

Jimmy Owen, RadioFM74 and ozzeng like this.
  18. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Afflicted

Why settle for one or the other, a 12 string tele bridge has 6 strings of each :)

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Yes, it is very important to have no bends in the strings, for best tone. This strat sounds just like a les paul, which of course has the best tone:

32651607_2169979283019000_4991007724599771136_n.jpg

20. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Well that made me laugh, thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.