1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Dimarzio Area's for Strat???

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jethro, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I have pretty much narrowed it down to going with the Dimarzio noiseless Area set for my 79 Strat. Thinking 58 N, 67 M, and 61 B, although I hear some prefer a 58/61/61 setup. Any opinions are welcome

2. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

BUMP

3. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I tried a 61 in the bridge of one of my former Strats a while back. It was a very nice pickup and sat well there. I can't comment on the other positions or Area pickups, and I didn't keep the guitar long enough for a good review. I was very happy with it while I had it though.

4. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Don't seem to be many opinions on that subject. I don't know much about them, but have read good things about the '67s. I have a Dimarzio "Virtual Reality" (or something like that) Strat pup, but haven't tried it in anything yet. :)

5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've had the 61s and the older version of the 58 and 61 (VV 2.1 and 2.2). I much preferred the 2.1 (older 58). Something about the tonal balance of the 61 didn't sound Stratty to me, sounding more like a Tele Bridge PU. OK for the bridge position I guess, but I didn't really care for it in the neck or middle positions.

davguitar likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, I think once you decide to go with the DiMarzio stacked pickup design then you are going to get that sound and the rest is really a matter of how hot do you want them. In general you will get more mids and a little less chime/sparkle as you wind hotter. If you are mostly playing clean then a more vintage wind may be preferred, but if you are often playing dirty then hotter pickups may be in order. Obviously your whole signal chain is really key since another way to go is to just use some kind of boost or dirt pedal to goose vintage pickups a little bit. I was feeling lazy and so got a good deal on a loaded Strat pickguard with Injectors at N & B and an Area 67 in the middle. I like it a lot, but I was looking for a bit beefier sound. Still plenty of quack and chime for my purposes, but YMMV. It seems that a general approach is to use a lighter wound pickup and/or set it a bit lower to improve the quack sound in positions 2 and 4. The nice thing about the Injector in the bridge is that the bridge pickup sounds great for rock and roll.

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I have a "Dimarzio Area Strat" set on my MIM strat. I purchased it as a set but the description said it's 58/67/61 from neck to bridge like one of the options the OP mentioned.

I like em just fine, but I'm not a connoisseur of Strat pickups either. They're noiseless, plenty clean when I lower them down and hotter when I put them up. I would imagine there's not as much treble as a single coil, but that's just a wild guess. IMO they sound better than the stock ceramics that came with the guitar, and with no hum.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My choice would be the Dimarzio Distortion pups.:D

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I tend to play mostly clean with just a touch of breakup. I suppose I'm looking for a pretty authentic strat tone, but without the hum. I was also considering Kinman's

10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I had a 67 in the neck position of a Strat and I liked it quite a bit. If you ramble around the Internet you'll find a number of ppl endorsing that option.

11. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister

The 54 Pro is pretty good too. Some like to mix the 58, 67 and go with the 61 or 54 Pro at the bridge. I acquired q mix of DiMarzio stacked humbuckers when Guitar Haven went of out business in Nashville. I got them for about half of what they sell for now. I've got a 2.1 and 2.2 with a Fender stock humbucker in one guitar. I've got two 54 Pro and a 2.2 in another, and still have a couple of 58's and a 61 that I bought later and have not yet installed. I like the stock 2008 single coils in a Strat and can't motivate myself to change them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.