1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Deoxit or something else?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by trxx, Mar 1, 2021.

1. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I too use that CRC Quick Dry Contact Cleaner. Works well.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

It must be a miracle.
    My understanding of the products... the D series has a lubricant in it. It also has a cleaning agent but the product actually has the ability to remove oxidation on the metal contacts. Many other products only clean the surfaces.
    The F series does not have the oxidation removal properties. It lubricates, cleans, and protects conductive plastic and carbon compound surfaces.

Ime the D series would be the one to clean the pot and if one wanted, the F series could follow that up.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Don't use D-5 to clean tube sockets!
    DAMHIKT!
    Gene

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use deoxit gold, but what i do is I take a medical seringe and inject it into the pot and switches , it saves all the wasted overspray so the deoxit lasts alot longer and very little wastage. For cleaning jacks a little Deoxit on a Qtip and swab the inside of the jack contacts works fine, For tubes I use deoxit on a Qtip again to clean the tube pins not the sockets by replacing the tubes cleans the sockets , with no wastage but make sure the carrier in the deoxit has a chance to evaporate before replacing the tubes

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Used Radio Shack tuner cleaner for years and it worked great. Pots I didn't think would ever work again did and still are. Give a pot a shot and it'd snap, crackle and pop for awhile inside.
    Bought a bunch when the stores started to close down. None of the cans survived the fire so I've got to find something else.
    Deoxit seems like what everyone uses and that's what I'll go with. Hopefully they don't still have those big fat straw on the cans.
    I've heard many horror stories about using straight up solvent cleaners on pots.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Quick update on the Radio Shack stuff, I googled it. Mostly because I noticed the last can I used didn't make all the noise I was used to. Got on some forum and it seems they changed it over the years and other people noticed the lack of noise like the old stuff had too. (I chalked it up to my Twin Reverbs)
    Sounds like unless you can find some really old stuff, it's crap. They still list it online as unavailable, but that's the new stuff anyway.

7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yes indeed! I use CRC QD for cleaning tube sockets, NEVER anything that contains a lube agent...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.