1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Delay???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by aikiguy, Oct 8, 2020.

1. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, there have been a lot of suggestions made. Here would be my suggestions (in no particular order) to focus on and they're all roughly the same price, at least here in Canada.

- Boss DD-8, DD-3T, or DM-2W
    - MXR Carbon Copy
    - TC Electronic Flashback 2

If you want save some money and buy a used pedal, I'd suggest either a Boss DD-3 or DD-7.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these choices, but you may have a preference for a particular one.

aikiguy likes this.
  2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Well, you have to keep in mind, that we all probably will (and have) offered pedals we KNOW AND/OR LIKE. Me too, guilty. I prefer a tape-delay, that is, mimicking tape-wearout and less highend the more repeats you dial in. Also that "wobbly" modulation of old tapemachines. That's why I have the Strymon El Capistan on my board.
    But I also like some wilder modulation/pitch modulation and a bit of 80s soundscaping, i.e. a "clean and digital" sounding repeat. That's why I also have the Red Panda Raster on my board.
    Some people I know also have an "always on"-delay in their circuit; just on a low and subtle mix ratio with a short delaytime and subtle repeats, for creating a sort of wide and ambient room for the sound.
    So it depends a lot on your musical preferences to find a matching delay.
    The only "rule" is: once you delved into the world of delay, you'll never get back......

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I will tell anyone who is willing to listen about my very inexpensive Donner Yellow Fall Delay. It is very clean & easy to control. Did I mention inexpensive?

bendercaster, schenkadere and aikiguy like this.
  4. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My use of delays is nearly all echo slapback, and 'on' the majority of my playing time. I have or have had:

Echoplex solid state - used it for gigs for years and sounds great but it's a bit of a space hog and glitch-free performance was never guaranteed.

DanEcho - have a few of these and was able to A/B with the Echoplex and dial it in really very close. These are my favorite delay pedals but output jack solders direct to board tend to break and crackle.

Ibanez AD9 analog - beautiful sound with stereo outs, but a bit too smooth and lush to get that crisp, sharp slapback sound.

Flashback II - have been using this for a year now and no problems, excellent echo setting for slapback; otherwise I haven't delved much yet into all the other delay choices or the tone prints thing but looking forward to that. Stereo outs also. Minor drawbacks are that the Delay and Level responses are very sensitive to barely a touch of twist of the knobs; and the 'turning resistance' of the knobs is minimal so that the settings are usually changed next time I use it. Also, curiously, if I'm all dialed in to my echo settings when playing, and change (only) the delay type selector knob, and then change it back to Echo, I have to reset my settings to what I initially dialed in for Echo.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    aikiguy likes this.
  5. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

That is two mentions for that pedal, It is pretty cheap... Wonder if I could slip it into an amazon order for say some toilet paper..... Think the budgetary control office would see that and flag the play.... Hm she (the budgetary control office), just bought a sweater.... hmmmmm......
    I could also say it was a gift after I played with it if I wanted a different one.... Lap Steels use delay right?????
    :)
    (Trying to add some humor to a really bad day here......)

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Donner Yellow Fall. Awesome delay pedal...I have no need for anything more...inexpensive, simple and sounds great. Always my first recommendation.

Unless, of course, you need tap tempo.

bendercaster and aikiguy like this.
  7. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I have a Memory Boy, Dr J Shadow Echo, and that gold Danelectro delay.

The Danelectro sounded pretty good. I swapped the footswitch for a more rugged one, which I liked much better. But ultimately, I couldn’t get over the fact it was made of plastic.

So then I bought the Memory Boy. I wasn’t super happy with the delay though, so I bought a Dr J with the intent of returning the Memory Boy. The Dr J is the better delay pedal, but the Memory Boy had something that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I knew I’d just end up buying the Memory Boy again, so I just kept it.

I like the Memory Boy’s modulation better than the Dr J’s, but I could probably get by with just the Dr J. If you’re really on a budget and just want a delay, the Danelectro definitely does the job.

aikiguy likes this.
  8. hunterfryellis

hunterfryellis TDPRI Member

I mean, you have to figure out a few things first, liek what is important to you in a delay?
    Do you want tap tempo?
    How much delay time do you want? (like, will you ever use 600-1000ms?)
    Do you want modulation?
    If so, what kind? high fi or more warbly?
    Then, you gotta figure out which pedals and chips are going to sound musical and make sense, and which are going to sound like an effect.
    I've played with some line 6 delays, boss delays, memory boy analog with tap, which is pretty rad), the earthquaker devices Disaster Transport (gets pretty far out, is a multi tap delay). I sold them all and have a Laggard Lite. It ain't cheap. It doesn't have tap tempo. It doesn't have a long delay time and the mod depth and rate don't have huge sweep ranges. but man it SOUNDS SO MUSICAL. I can't describe it any other way.

chris m. and aikiguy like this.
  9. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

All these are good questions that I don't have answers for yet...
    I am currently thinking of getting the TC FlashBack II to be able to start to answer some of these very questions....
    Thank you for taking the time to ask them...

10. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like my carbon copy

11. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I've heard a Donner Yellow Fall before and it sounded pretty good to me plus they're inexpensive. Buying one of those wouldn't be a bad place to start while you figure out exactly what you want in a delay pedal.

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I rarely use it, but when I do it's a Behringer Vintage Delay VD400. It does the job nicely.

13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I would get something wit

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

It depends on your budget. I would definitely recommend getting something with tap tempo. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. Boss DD7 is awesome but requires an outboard tap tempo switch. DigiTech Obscura has tap, but you have to hold down the on/off switch to enter tap mode. As you get a little more expensive, I love Way Huge Supa Puss. JHS Panther Cub is really nice, but I don't like the Lucky Cat/Pink Panther because it's hard to dial in subdivisions correctly. Currently I have a Boss DD500, which you can get for 200 used. It's awesome. It does everything.

aikiguy likes this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You can have one meal for the rest of your life... mashed potatoes

or

You can visit a nice restaurant occasionally for a streak dinner with all the trimmings.

New gear can take your music in new directions too so there is a downside with a one trick pony in their limitations. Analog delays are very well emulated with digital delays today. The DD7 analog delay emulation I use, replicates a DM2 very well. Certainly undetectable to a listener or in a mix. Other opinions can be somewhat coloured by confirmation bias.. ‘its digital, it must be bad’ but its very advanced today.

I had Boss and ibanez analogs in the past, extensively used and still use lexicon and yamaha rack gear for time based stuff but use a DD7 with a tap tempo switch as my primary pedal delay. I shift between analog mode and digital dotted with tap tempo at gigs with mine and when recording or looking for inspiration. Not been inspired by ‘reverse’ yet :)

i have not used the new DD8 but the DD7 is a really solid, pro level, versatile pedsl, esp. with a tap tempo switch plugged in.

The one delay I could not get on with was the Carbon Copy.. way way too dark, and more an ambient reverb type replacement unless specifically used for slapback.

If i was looking again today, the TC Flashback or Boss DD200 might get my money for a pedal board option... the toneprint/memory storage option lets you customise some favourites and then keep them onboard permanently. The example being the modulated delay on my DD7 is too modulated.. on a TC I could adjust that.

but... if I am recording.. the Lexicon and Yamaha rack units get hammered.

ducking studio delay on my Lexicon is very useful.. it drops down when playing and then comes back when I stop which means notes are not blurred but i get the lovely delays. The Tape emulation of the Lexicon is lush and rich and a go to.

aikiguy likes this.
  16. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You can’t beat the Visual Sound Axle Grease’s bang/buck ratio. If it had tap tempo it would be all I need. But I’ve got a DOD Rubberneck on my board now and I’m really happy with it. It sounds great and it can get highly freaky if you like.

I like the Canyon very much, but it’s hard to take advantage of all the functionality in combat conditions.

aikiguy likes this.
  17. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I’ve gone through a lot of different delays and my Boss DD-200 is probably the last one I’ll buy. I’ve had old analog delays (Ibanez and Boss) which are great but not versatile (not supposed to be), expensive and inexpensive modern and digital delays (Boss DD-3 & 7, Joyo Analog Delay, Visual Sound H2O, Keeley Caverns, JHS Millman) and new jack of all trades types (flashback and alter ego) and the DD-200 is the best of all worlds for me.

Classic Boss digital delay tones, nice analog emulation, 4 footswitchable presets so you don’t have to reach down to change between them plus an easy to use looper for practicing, which I use a lot. They’re not cheap but IMO definitely worth it.

aikiguy likes this.
  18. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

Anasounds Utopia....
    Absolutely stunning tape style echos, with a 'warble switch'. Internal tone (bright/dark) controls, lofi/hifi switch, and warble depth & rate controls

Or deep blue delay. It's got a lush warm sound, and well Matt Schofield!

Listen to the YouTube demos for these 2....

aikiguy likes this.
  19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I would recommend typing "flashback toneprint" into YouTube and watching some of the many demos of the artist presets. I previously owned a first generation flashback delay and wasn't really wild about any of the TC settings, but with the version two having space for saving three toneprints it seems like a no brainer. I mean you can basically choose your three favorite delays out of an infinite number of possibilities, including some of those incredibly cool artist presets.

aikiguy likes this.
  20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

memory man bloody amazing pedal, the old version is the best.

aikiguy and basher like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.