1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Delay???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by aikiguy, Oct 8, 2020.

1. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Have to keep it under $200, would prefer to keep it under $150
    Good question I should have answered in the first message!
    :)
    (Edit: Primarly because I have never used a delay petal before.... Hence asking all of you what you thought was good, because you guys as a rule are a fun crowd to have a discussion with. )

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you don’t know what you want out of a delay, the TC or Dd7/8 are good starting points.

They give you several easy to use alternatives to help you decide what delay Eq, character and structure you like.

They’re also great ending spots.

I’ve been through way too many and the Boss DM2w and modern DD3 both work great for me. I default to the DM2 because it has one less knob.

aikiguy likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

dd3.

aikiguy likes this.
  4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

For the music you play, a Carbon Copy is it. I use it myswlf as an allways on, instead of reberb which I love but muddies the sound in a band context. Otherwise the Strymon.

aikiguy likes this.
  5. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Do you have a preference for digital or analog? Are these the only three options you’re considering?

aikiguy likes this.
  6. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I have an original Ibanez AD9 Analog delay that's great for shorter delays, but it's getting older and beat up so it's off the board. I tried the Boss DD5 and then DD6 pedals - super clean, but too clean/digital for me. I tried the MXR Carbon Copy - it's a great pedal, but all analog delays trade off high end for noise, so it was too dark for me.

I sold those and bought a TC Flashback V1. I've messed with the tone prints, but 95% of the time I have it set to the Tape sound - it's brighter than analog delay, but rolls off the repeats really nicely. As other pointed out, it is slightly larger, but having the ability to try other settings without reloading them via Toneprint is worth it. Get one used - no need to buy the newer one.

I did also buy an Ibanez AD9 Mini Analog Delay that I use for Slap so I can have 2 different delay times at my feet. I guess I could get something like the El Cap to replace 2 with 1, but the analog delay does have a different character - darker but for short slap not an issue. I did borrow a friend's El Cap for a weekend and it's a great tape delay machine...

If you have 2 amps, the stereo out on the Flashback is a treat. If not, you may want to get another amp...

aikiguy likes this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

There are more than a few used BOSS DD-200s on Reverb for around $200 ($250 will get you a brand new one). It would probably be a delay pedal-for-life. It does a lot of great stuff. You could either keep it simple; or you could definitely grow into it as your delay addiction grows, which it assuredly will once you start to realize how much you can do with it.

aikiguy likes this.
  8. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Nope I am wide open, and thought I was a clean digital man, until I watched a youtube video showing the difference, now I have to admit I like both...

I am open to considering anything... (I do have some budget restraints, as do we all).

I love working through this with people here, most people ask great questions, and have pointed me to things I have never heard of before!

9. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

WOW I hadn't looked at DD-200, as I thought for some reason that it was a rack mount.
    That is intense... Lots of options....
    Now I have to read all about it!
    Thanks,,,,,
    GAS and BIS (Budget increase syndrome) here is pretty bad today...

10. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Quickly sold my Carbon Copy after getting this one, and the DD3 just sits in a box.

[​IMG]

lupowitz, MilwMark and Jazzerclean like this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I love a good analog delay and also something with very subtle modulation on the repeats. But I need longer delay times and tap tempo for what I do, so I went with the Visual Sound Tap Delay - it’s digital, but the knobs really react like an analog delay and the sound “feels” like an traditional bucket brigade analog delay to me. I had a line 6 echo park that checked all of these boxes as well, but they are notorious for failure and mine eventually failed. If you find one used, avoid it - it’s already on borrowed time ;). But the Visual Sound Tap Delay is stellar.

aikiguy likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

Actually, if you don’t need all the bells and whistles, the Joyo Analog Delay is excellent. I had one after my Echo Park died and preferred it to my Memory Toy delay, which is saying a lot. But I had to get something with tap tempo, so the Visual Sound replaced the Joyo eventually.

13. mkdaws32

I hear what you are saying, but with my studio engineer hat on, I can say that tempo sync delay are for much more than covering U2 songs (the much lauded “dotted 8th, full mix, low feedback delay). I actually have the luxury of gigging in stereo and use quarter and eighth note delays for more complex delay structure and spatial effect. Tempo syncing insures that repeats don’t get too messy on you - although I do use non synced delays where appropriate with lower mix and feedback settings for enhancing a sense of space. There is just no end to the usefulness of delays!!!

black_doug likes this.
  14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

PSX_20200701_140254.jpg
    I had the original Wem Copycat tape echo unit which was my favorite all time vintage tape echo. Also owned two Roand Re201's original tape echos, but all a maintenance nightmare. I returned to thinking my original 1983 Boss DM-2 which i foolishly sold, covered it all. So I recently bought the Japanese Boss DM-2w Wazza Craft and voila!
    All of the original Dm-2 analog sounds and more. Never selling this one.

15. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Boss DD3. You won't go wrong. You might chastise yourself for playing BAD by U2 now and again but its quickly forgotten after a quick rendition of summertime blues.

Old Plank, aikiguy and mkdaws32 like this.
  16. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

I
    I know that the DM-2 W is an actual Analog BBD chip set. How close are the modes on the DD-8 and the DD-200 (Although that seems way too complex for a first time trying out some delay).
    G

Jazzerclean likes this.
  17. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I considered the DD8 before discovering they re-made the DM-2 in the DM-2w. I suspected they may have used on the DD8 the Boss digital modelling for the tape and analog settings, (COSM) which i disliked. I tried the DD8 and many of the settings imo are just a novelty which I wouldn't ever use much making it a more complex delay to what I need.
    I once owned a Boss multi effects unit, I didn't like the COSM digital modelling of their tape and analog delays. I love the true analog BBD in the DM-2w and having owned a 1983 original DM-2, I get the original DM2 sounds and the extra range switch on the Wazza. Highly recommend DM-2w.

aikiguy likes this.
  18. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Also, the DM-2-w is a very simple to use, Master of One pedal.
    I have my perfect delay set on the standard setting on the slide switch, then if needed, I can simply flick the Wazza slide switch and I get a great, much longer delay without touching any of the dials.

Or, if you want to add an expression pedal, you can vary the delay time from short to long with your foot, hands free! That's only one of a few of the updates to the original with the Wazza Craft.
    Simple & perfect for me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    lupowitz and aikiguy like this.
  19. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

This is amazingly educational for me...
    I was hoping to narrow my choices down, but you guys have made them a lot bigger.
    I started a spreadsheet on this thread to keep track of your recommendations....
    I wonder if I would use any of the odd features on some of these pedals (reverse delay isn't going to be in my wheelhouse I don't think). (Then again I had a couple of features on an amp I have that I thought that about until someone tweaked this feature and then that seemingly unrelated feature and now play something...... "Hey that doesn't sound bad at all!"
    Thank you all for the input, and if anyone has any more thoughts or a pedal I should consider that isn't listed, please don't hesitate.....
    (edit)
    Also although it feels really silly now. There are some song Rhythms that I thought were due to wonderful precise picking and amazing dampening that have turned out to be delay pedal induced. (That was embarrassing to admit).

20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

The NUX Tape Core Deluxe, it simulates the mighty Roland RE201 tape echo, as I have owned the original RE201's, the Nux does it really well. Cost only around $100 new, so i got two! 16023751991895893203184043128337.jpg

aikiguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.