1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Delay???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by aikiguy, Oct 8, 2020.

1. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Flashback 2 (full), Boss DD-7 or -8, Boss DD-200. Gilmourish.com recommends the Flashback for Gilmour stuff, but any of them would be a good choice.

aikiguy and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Flashback mini!!! Thick as flies and cheap. Worth getting if only for the Echoplex sim.
    The TonePrints aren’t gimmicky, they’re presets and meant to be used as templates. Find one you like, spend 45 seconds tweaking it with your phone, done.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    aikiguy likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Has nobody even mentioned the Carbon Copy? not my favorite but it sure is a classic.
    My personal fave delay is the discontinued Way Huge Aqua Puss. Its not versatile, and not the cheapest. But it sounds great, is easy to use, and does what I want in a delay.

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have owned and sold a couple boss delay pedals. I don’t like the tone of digital delay. I prefer analog.
    I now use the MXR Carbon Copy.
    It’s simple, sounds great, and does everything I need it to.

5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Boss DD3. If you can find a used one Made in Japan, they're the best!

aikiguy likes this.
  7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

The first stand alone delay pedal I bought was the DD3, have to say I'm the one who really didn't like it.

Bought the Flashback Mini next, that didn't last long either, I absolutely loved it. Replaced with the Flashback V2 and wouldn't be without it. Far more versatile and easy to use than the mini.

Everything is available without needing the Toneprint option, unless you need to have a specific set of parameters pre installed. It works well and isn't a gimmick if you need it.

4pickupguy and aikiguy like this.
  8. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Thanks, that looks interesting, a little out of the budget right now, and since I have not played with a delay pedal at all, don't know if I want to plunk down that much to start.
    This is also a: Need something to play with right now to try and offset some of the 2020 sucks so bad, and has hammered me flat to the floor, issues.

alathIN likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

If you just want a touch of delay and you know what kind of sound you like, just get something cheap like a Joyo Analog Delay, or whatever kind of tone you're into. If you likely just want a touch of delay but want to explore tones a bit, the flashback or flashback mini is a perfect way to try out a variety of tones without dropping a lot of cash. If, however, you want to climb the mountain of possibilities with the delay effect I would look for a Boss DD-500.

aikiguy likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

If delay is not a huge part of your sound, you can get one for less than $50. But if your delay is prominent, you'd want to look into something with a tap-tempo like a Boss DD-5.

aikiguy and black_doug like this.
  11. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

Yeah, I'd say a used MXR Carbon Copy would satisfy the needs for most folks who don't rely heavily on delay. I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking to be the Edge in a U2 tribute band, but if you're just looking to add a bit of ambience and presence to a solo, or for a bit of slapback it's hard to beat for the money. I've had mine for more than 10 years and it's never caused an issue.

It tends to be on the dark side in terms of tone though. When I play live I sometimes feel that it gets lost in the mix, but then I turn it off and notice that it's not there.

Buzzgrowl and aikiguy like this.
  12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Of the ones you listed, I'd say the Flashback only because tone prints give you a lot of options.

I currently have a catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe and a Boss DM-2w. The Belle is not cheap, but worth it. The DM-2w is affordable and worth it.

aikiguy likes this.
  13. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The first question you need to ask yourself is, do I need Tap Tempo so that I can be in sync with the drummer? Then choose accordingly.

aikiguy likes this.
  14. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

I had a drummer once but she escaped confinement.... Why are they so hard to bait and trap....... I have even tried putting out an entire drum kit for weeks without any sign of one......
    Guitarists are so easy, even a pick in a cage will work..... If you put out an old guitar, then you can easily capture 8 or 10 to choose from.....
    :)
    HMMMM hadn't thought about how the whole delay thing effects rhythm....... (Seems kind of like saying there is gravity now that you have mentioned it...)
    Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    whoanelly15 and black_doug like this.
  15. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

aikiguy likes this.
  16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The contenders according to me:

Boss DD-3,5,6,7, or (presumably) 8
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
    anything Eventide
    Strymon Timeline
    original vintage EHX Memory Man

Excluded from the list are all real tape (and drum) echos, because they would win. But guitarists can't maintain things.

aikiguy likes this.
  17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Yes, and then quickly realize that delay as a spatial effect is not in tempo, and that using in-tempo delay is if you want to be another guy trying to sound like U2, and then answer no.

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

There are a lot of delays out there....my favorite is the Strymon El Capistan. If you want to delve into some weirdness, try out The Red Panda Raster. Those two are on my main board since a couple of years. But they are somewhat expensive.
    If You just want a solid delay for Slapback and occasional long delays for soloing, you might as well check out a T-Rex Reptile.
    And yes, the JHS Series 3 is tempting.....

aikiguy likes this.
  19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

How much do you want to spend? That is an important bit of info.

20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

TC Electronics is hard to beat for the money, especially if its got Toneprint. But EHX Carbon Copy is a very good traditional straight-ahead delay pedal. Great for 70s rock and country. Very natural sounding too.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.