1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Delay???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by aikiguy, Oct 8, 2020.

1. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

I am thinking of adding a delay pedal to my board. I play blues, some 1970's rock/pop, and a tiny bit of country. Rarely gig, but trying to do so more... (Covid currently not helping with that goal).

Thinking of one of the following: (Or something else if there is a much better option).

1> TC Electronics Flashback Mini Delay
    2> Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay

3> JHS 3 Series Delay Pedal

My questions are:
    1> Open to suggestions from the gurus here! (Is the best pedal not one I have on my list?).
    2> Does anyone use the Flashback Mini with the Tone Print stuff, is it usable or only a new fangled gadget to sell pedals. Is the pedal useful with a minimum of computer/phone manipulation...
    3> Has anyone tried out the new JHS Delay Pedal....

Thanks!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Have you given the Keeley Caverns a look? I had that one. It was pretty nice.

But my all-time favorite delay to date (I've tried the Canyon, the Caverns v2 and a no-name analog unit) is the Joyo d-Seed. Highly versatile. Has digital, analog (not sure if TRUE analog), reverse and modulated delays plus the ability to save 2 presets. They also have a new one out...but I haven't tried it yet. I have the 1st Gen one. If you want a variety of simple delays without too much tweaking, I'd go with the d-Seed. If you want more tweakabilty, I'd go with the Caverns v2 or maybe a Strymon (Deco, DIG or, my favorite, the El Capistan). Good luck. Except for the Canyon, I don't have experience with the others you listed. I tried the Canyon for 10 minutes, packed it up and relisted it. It sounded too sterile and lifeless to me.

Sean Spears and aikiguy like this.
  3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The El Cap is going to pop up a lot and it is killer. I picked one up and it is big time tweakable like El Tele Lobo says. Love the way it sounds.

I had a Strymon Timeline which also sounded great with a billion options but I found it totally overwhelming. Plus, its dimensions are enormous. I had the Deco which was a cool, very particular swiss army knife of a pedal, but it was limited as a delay.

For cheap, I have loved my Garage Tone Axle Grease for years and years. I bought it used for $30. It's such a warm, functional delay. I have had those other Strymons and this El Cap and I know that little discontinued Garage Tone will outlast all of them. A really good value.

basher, ndcaster and aikiguy like this.
  4. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I agree with the previous posters that the Strymon El Capistan is a pretty awesome pedal.

I have the original version of the TC Electronic Flashback and it's a pretty good delay pedal, although I don't know how the Mini compares to it. I don't know anything about the other two you list.

Speaking of TC Electronic delays, last week I used my ND-1 Nova for the first time in a while and remembered what a cool delay pedal it is. I should use it more often.

aikiguy likes this.
  5. bobbyfg

bobbyfg TDPRI Member

try boss space echo re-20. the best pedal I ever spend money on, for me.

Novak and aikiguy like this.
  6. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My friend who is a killer player begged me to get a genuine Echoplex (after I owned El Capistan, Belle Epoch and others and never really bonded) and he was right. There still isn’t anything like it. There are also newly-made cartridges for them. I gig with mine, every show. The on/off footswitch (any latching pedal) fits nicely on the board. I realize this is one of those not-quite-helpful replies but I want to plant that seed in your mind in case you start to get curious

aikiguy likes this.
  7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would suggest the Flashback Delay (full size, non-mini version). For just a bit more cash you can have a smorgasbord of delay types at hand. A used one can be had for around $100 if you don't mind getting version 1. If you can spare a bit more than that, v2 can be be had for $120 or so. Version 2 ups the toneprint capacity to 2 and has a momentary footswitch.
    I suspect you will get weary of loading different toneprints in the Mini. The Mini can only hold 1 sound at a time. Yes, the toneprints are an important and useful feature. There are a lot already pre-made, many by popular artists and the editor gives a great many options to build your own sound.

Edit: V2 has 3 toneprint slots. Also, I saw a version 2 on reverb for $110 so $100 for a used V2 pedal is definitely doable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

or you could get the simple Donner Yellow Fall and a fifth of whiskey

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

No Boss delay on the list? What????

10. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Wampler - The Doctor

I doubt I would spend their asking price. I found it on *stupid deal otd* for $100

Nice, very nice.

aikiguy likes this.
  11. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

I have never used a delay, which Boss? There seems to be 3 of them.. :)
    G
    :)

12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Well, you can't go wrong with the DD-3 DD-5 or DD-7 and I'd just go with the DD-3 since you can pick one up pretty cheap.

doghouseman and aikiguy like this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Boss DD7... simple, bombproof design, recessed knobs you don’t kick out of setting, great range of modes, nice analog emulation, dotted patterns, tap tempo on an external foot switch if you want it.

aikiguy likes this.
  14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Boss dm-2 w, best out there.

RetroTeleRod and bluesholyman like this.
  15. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

+1. Boss DM-2w wazza craft

RetroTeleRod and bluesholyman like this.
  16. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Not a guru but the TC Flashback2 is , imo an excellent pedal for the money but get the full one not the mini one.

Lots of options, too many perhaps but if you want tape/digital/mod style etc ... it's there.

As for the TonePrints a bit gimmicky given the options you can dial in but ... there is a fantastic one from Troy van Leewuen that emulates a speaker mic'ed across a room.
    (btw, don't believe the hype about changing toneprints on the fly with your mobile phone! Only managed that using my laptop).

gkterry likes this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i had noise issues with boss DD's in the past. not every unit, but it seems to be a QC problem in the odd unit.

i really loved the flashback v2, the full size. i think the toneprint is gimmicky if you're trying to do crazy stuff with it or trying to grab artist presets, but it's useful for stuff that isn't on the front panel, or making things convenient, like:

-i don't care for triplet divisions, but you can customize the divisions to straight 8ths and 16ths, which is great for tapping in rhythmic slapback stuff.
    -i really only use clean digi delay, tape simulation, and looping occasionally. with the presets, i can just put those modes all right next to each other and change them with my foot.
    -setting up the mash function for infinite repeats is really great. you aren't bound to using a delay you don't want (like the DD series) just because you want a hold function every now and then

18. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Boss R-20. Sounds very much like vintage tape exhos but without all the weight/bulk, tape hassle and maintenance. I love it in stereo through my Orange 32.

19. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

I sold my Boss delay and bought a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay because Matt Schofield uses one.

Hobbo likes this.
  20. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

My vote goes to JHS 3 series, seriously good tones out of that box. Same suggestion if you were looking for a verb, JHS 3 series is killing it!

aikiguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.