1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which classic tone transformer

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Achysklic, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I am putting together a blackface deluxe reverb kit and the supplier has the power transformer on back order. They will ship it when it’s available so I’ll just put it back as a spare. I’m going to go ahead and order a classic tone power transformer but want to make sure I’m getting the right one. Which number should I get? 40- 18016? I think this is the one just want to make sure. Thanks

2. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

That seems like the correct one to use, but are you certain that your supplier can get it? I thought that Classictone closed their doors, how can there be back order?

3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

The one that is on back order is a mojo tone brand one. I figured since it’s on back order I’ll just buy a classic tone and when the mojotone one comes it it can be a spare.

4. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Classictone is out of business and most of the dealer supplies have dwindled. The ones that are available have gone up in price quite a bit. Amp Parts Direct use to be a Classictone dealer but they have now switched over to Heyboer which is also a great product.

https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/collections/apd-custom-by-heyboer

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

and Hammond

I will miss ClassicTones though

6. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I just bought a new classic tone off reverb for $99 I think that’s fair.

7. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I do have a question the classic tone 40-18016 I just order for my deluxe reverb build is the same transformer number I used in my 5e3 build. Do both these amps use the same transformer? Or did I order the wrong one?

8. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

On their site, Classictone recommends the 40-18021 for the 5e3 circuit. Many folks have found that this PT delivers too high of a final voltage and they opt for the Blackface Deluxe PT instead. The 40-18016 is the correct PT for your build.

Achysklic and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  9. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Man that’s a bummer. I had a set of ClassicTone transformers in my cart for a few days while I waffled on what to get, and when I went to check out the price had gone through the roof. Ended up spending almost the exact same on some Mercury Magnetics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.