Which cheap used Boss multiFX model?

fred4321

Tele-Meister
Hi,
I am looking at a cheap used multi effects unit. I have used them in the past and wasn’t that keen, due to scrolling menus and the like.
I stumbled on a few used Boss units that have dials and setup like stomp boxes.
My question is of these listed units which are available locally used, which would users recommend?
Boss ME 50 or
Boss BE 5

cheers

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
Save a little bit more, and get the Boss GT-1. It's a lot more updated than those choices.

It has a looper, it's an interface for recording, can be connected to your computer for more tone shaping, and all the effects you need plus more. Then, save up for an frfr cab and you're done. Well... maybe done. Y'know how GAS is.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Line 6 M Series simple and cheap.

+1 Line 6 M13. The modulation and delays, reverbs etc are stellar. The overdrives and distortion are not bad but infinitely improvable. Looper, silent tuner, noise gate, shiftable low E.

Because it's laid out like 12 stompboxes in a square it's easy to visually understand which model's where each with its own on-off button - green means a distortion, blue means modulation, orange is a reverb, pink is a filter like a wah - add an expression pedal and you can assign intensity, volume pedal, and parameter. The Analogue chorus, Jet Flanger, Chrome Wah, 63 Spring Reverb models are all great out of the box. Tube Driver, Classic Distortion, Solar Tonebender are tweakable.

Selecting and tweaking models is easy and controls mimic the original pedal. You can find the explanation online of which pedal is modelled.

I have two. One with classic old models like Sola Tonebender for my old farts 60-70s band, one with settings for the young people's modern band.

Rock sold metal enclosure and solid switches. Down to a bill from half a g new.

Last edited:

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
+3 Avoid ME Boss pedals unless you like sterile digital tone. For a cheap stomp-like experience the Line 6 M9 or 13 is better. Or even a Zoom G3/G5.

fred4321

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t considered line 6. The interest in the Boss is due to the stomp box style layout and the absence of LED screens. Do like the idea of dials instead of screens.

there is a line 6 pod live for sale cheap in gumtree Australia

Last edited:

Harbinger77

Tele-Holic
Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t considered line 6. The interest in the Boss is due to the stomp box style layout and the absence of LED screens. Do like the idea of dials instead of screens.

there is a line 6 pod live for sale cheap in gumtree Australia
Bro we don’t necessarily see your location. Prices and markets change from country-country.

The M Series LED is easy enough for me to read and I’m legally blind. There’s 6 knobs like a stomp box corresponding to each one.

Harbinger77

Tele-Holic
If I lived in Wollongong again I’d say money would be better spent on schooners of New at North Gong Hotel.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hi,
I am looking at a cheap used multi effects unit. I have used them in the past and wasn’t that keen, due to scrolling menus and the like.
I stumbled on a few used Boss units that have dials and setup like stomp boxes.
My question is of these listed units which are available locally used, which would users recommend?
Boss ME 50 or
Boss BE 5

cheers

+3 Avoid ME Boss pedals unless you like sterile digital tone. For a cheap stomp-like experience the Line 6 M9 or 13 is better. Or even a Zoom G3/G5.
I bought a used Boss ME-5 a while back and I love it. Simple to use and only the delay and reverb are digital as are most reverb pedals and a lot of delay pedals now. The distortion, OD, compression, EQ, chorus and flanger are all Boss's classic analog pedals built into a convenient Multi FX pedal (no sterile sound here). The Boss MEs are plentiful and inexpensive on the used market. Don't remember what I paid for mine because it was peanuts. Meh...Line 6, pick up sticks.

BossME-5.jpg

Last edited:

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m in Australia

Me too. I just. I just bought my second off Facebook Marketplace for $au135 because the Allen bolt on one switch loostened and the gubbins fell inside. I see them all the time for $200-400 secondhand.

Stereo in/out, midi control. The M9 is great if you only need say three at any time although you can set 'scenes' up with six or seven effects. There's four-five chorus, couple flangers, four or five delays, tube tape and preamps, MX, Rat, Boss Super Distortion, Metalzone, Ibanez, Tubescreamer, MX Blue and Red compressors, analog and digital chorus', Vox, Dunlop, Morley, Slash wahs you name it. 104 effects I think. You can stack em however you want. I often use the univibe model with flanger to mimic keyboards.

The four cable method with effects loops works great but I just use guitar-fx-amp.

IMG_20210924_182351.jpg

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I bought a used Boss ME-5 a while back and I love it. Simple to use and only the delay and reverb are digital as are most reverb pedals and a lot of delay pedals now. The distortion, OD, compression, EQ, chorus and flanger are all Boss's classic analog pedals built into a convenient Multi FX pedal (no sterile sound here). The Boss MEs are plentiful and inexpensive on the used market. Don't remember what I paid for mine because it was peanuts. Meh...Line 6, pick up sticks.

View attachment 933595

Good points. Yours is kind of a rare bird as the later MEs had digital overdrives.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
The ME-50 can be programmed.... the BE-5 cannot. The ME-50 also has a lot more options.
Both are great sounding units... the BE-5 is closer to the analog pedal formats in terms of use and tone.