1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which came first, The Police or Rush?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Norton72, Sep 22, 2017.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

He's not dead.

I wasn't a fan of post-Gabriel Genesis either. This thread just keeps on giving :D

william tele likes this.
  2. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

....and Collins was and IS a brilliant writer and arranger. I love Phil Collins and I don't care who knows it!

Minimalist518 and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

On that point, a real unsung gem of a song is "Man In a Suitcase" from Zenyatta. The bassline is especially killer.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Alex and Geddy both cited the Police specifically as an influence. All three members of Rush were pretty into the Police, from their own comments in interviews.

To the comments about the use of chorus, Alex began using chorus on Hemispheres, circa 77/78. It was a recent, new effect, so guitarists were checking it out.

5. Endless Mike

Yes, he did. I've read it in more than one interview.

Grux likes this.
  6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Brand X made me appreciate Phil's drumming.

Lupo and Grux like this.
  7. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

And thank God that Rush were influenced by the Police & others, else they wouldn't have stepped out of their Zeppelin sound.

AAT65, 3-Chord-Genius and Grux like this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No. But his drumming pretty much is. I liked early post-Gabriel but when they starting going pop not so much. Even then there was a gen or two on each album that harkened back to their earlier days, i.e., Fading Lights in We Can't Dance. One decent song vs some almost unlistenable stuff...

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

IMG_1825.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Who has more para diddles per song?

11. Endless Mike

They had stepped out of that by the second and third albums. King Crimson, Genesis and Gentle Giant were all having an effect on their sound.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Rush actually cited The Police as a band that heavily influenced their synth poppy later work.

This was on a documentary I recently watched on Netflix.

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In my book, the first time the Police influence showed up on a Rush record was the reggae part toward the end of The Spirit Of Radio.

Alex used a chorus earlier, but that's not the Police influence - when the Police hit, he added the flanger. The Electric Mistress is the Police sound on the first three albums.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ouch!

That's right up there with the news story in Rolling Stone years ago.

Alex Lifeson got into a brawl at his son's wedding and got arrested. They had a photo of him in a white tuxedo shirt with blood all over it.

The caption read "A Modern Day Warrior."

Minimalist518 and drlucky like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They did.

The Music Bidness sure hit a slack spot during this time.

Mid to late 1970s, to 1980 was lousy but it probably wasn't BECAUSE of the Eagles - this was just evidence of a lot of ennui.

You could count the bands that were firing on all 8 cylinders on your fingers and toes - you sure could not do that in 1969.

16. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I don't see the New World Man connection... Myself, I'm a big fan of both bands. I'm surprised no one cited Yes in this conversation. These bands seem to go into the studio with more of a let's be creative rather than let's be commercial attitude. More so, after they were established. Fortunately for them their albums were well received. Well, we could argue yes went the opposite direction around this time frame going more commercial with 90125.

I think Rush's A Farewell To Kings ('77) is when they broke from the standard rock mold. The Police kind of broke out of the Ska mode with Ghost in the Machine ('81). These albums followed up with Permanent Waves and Synchronicity; both IMO are masterpieces.

I just finished watching the George Harrison documentary Living in the Material World. In it he talked about always learning, new influences, and moving on. Which is one of the reasons I've always been a Zep fan; every album stood on it's own and most the songs wouldn't really work on any of their other albums. Quite the opposite of what most bands do today.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Rush may have been inspired by the Police, I sure wasn't. I'd rather listen to Rush any day.

radiocaster, Chicago Matt and Area51 like this.
  18. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Which came first, The Police or Rush?
    The Rolling Stones, ....they rushed to the bathroom and flushed some drugs when they heard the police is coming. :lol:

Chicago Matt likes this.
  19. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

I feel much the same way about 80's Genesis. Not my cuppa. I have to say, though, that "A Trick Of The Tail" and "Seconds Out" were two great albums. Heck, I even liked "Duke".

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Unless things have changed, this back condition Phil has precludes him from drumming - It is bound to be driving him nuts. I'd love to see him healthy and behind the drum kit once more. I'm convinced, everything else could fall back into place.

I pretty much bailed on the band when Steve left. Angered some of my friends, that they offered me tickets to see Collins/Banks/Rutherford and I wouldn't even attend. But, the band was once so fantastic - I did not want to erase my memories of those wonderful early shows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.